Changing assigned dining time for 1 night?

We are looking at a cruise that stops in San Juan in the evening. I am told that the dining room is pretty empty when the ship is at this port because we are docked only in the evening. We are planning to request a late dining time for our cruise.

Has anyone gone to the dining room and asked to dine at a different time if the dining room is mostly empty for that time slot?

For example if we went to an earlier time and requested if there were any open seats for this dinner sitting do you think that they might honor our request? Has anyone done this?

I would normally say eat at the Lido deck but I've also heard that this area gets very crowded because people want a snack before leaving the ship.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

theos

You can ask, and if they have an empty table maybe they can accomodate you... but keep in mind that tablemates at regular tables have already established a rapport... so they won't likely place you at an "established" table... and they might not have any empty tables, but it is worth a shot. I would just eat at one of the optional venues... I've never had a problem doing that. You will find that many people will just eat off the ship...

If it is the first night, it shouldn't be a problem at all..

Doesn't hurt to ask... good luck!

Thanks for your advice! :)

We wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. So we will more than likely find something to eat when we get back from touring San Juan. Maybe we will get lucky and find a time at the alternative dining that will not be so crowded.

Again thanks for the advice :)

theos

Hey Theos...

If you gave some more information, what Ship, what cruise, etc.

Then you'll get better answers from people who have been on that specific itinerary, and let you know exactly how empty that night was on their cruises.

In the meantime, if it is not the first night of the cruise, then I bet that you can make it happen.

Meaning, if you "make friends" and good a good rapport with your dining room staff beforehand (early tips maybe, etc.), and let them know this is what you are thinking about you will probably get help from them to make this happen.

For example, if this is going to happen on the second or third night, then they may already know from talking to their early seating tables, which ones are not going to be there on the San Juan early seating.

I'm sure that they would be more than happy to seat you at one of their assigned tables, if nothing else, to see you in the dining room and not "lose" you to the buffet. The happier they make you, the better tip you'll give them.

And I don't think it's all about money/tip for them.

I know in my experiences, the dining room staff, truly enjoy meeting and bonding with nice people during the cruise, as they sometimes have to deal with "whiners and complainers".

Also, on a final note, go to the maitre'd on the first afternoon in the dining room, and ask him.

If it is truly usually empty at that time, I'm sure they won't have a problem accomodating your request.

CJW

Curt,

Thanks for the good advice. You're right it is always good to "make friends" with the dining staff :).

I will get better at posting questions with all the information. I promise :)

Big Duck,

We are going on the Triumph's eastern itinerary -- so you've just answered my question. That is really great to know. I know for some people the whole point of San Juan is to experience the food. But I hate to miss an evening in the dining room (they are so enjoyable). Maybe we will eat early in the open dining and get a snack in San Juan.

Thank you both! :)

Archived