Rotorua, NZ

millybess

We are interested in visiting the National Kiwi Hatchery in Rotorua.  Has anyone done this from the Port of Tauranga?  If so, did you use public transportation?  

It seems that all of Viking's tours go to Rotorua, which is about an hour away, but even the included tour doesn't give you time on your own.  I suppose that Viking doesn't run a shuttle, or do they?

Thanks!

So maybe a walk around, up, down Mount Mauao which is close to the port?

Our cruise was modified to 2 days in Rotorua.  On day 2 I'm going to do a Maori culture tour and DH is doing a coastal tour.  

Viking offers many geo-thermal tours, but I think we had our fill of that in Beppu, Japan.

Any experiences or ideas for Tauranga or Rotorua would be welcomed.😊

A walk around Mount Maunganui is well worth it. Great scenery and how many times do you get to walk around even a tiny volcano? Walk should take around an hour. Very popular with the locals.  After the walk you can sit and get a coffee and pastry at one of the many cafes across the street from the beach. Also easy to walk to the center of the commercial district filled with restaurants and shops. Lots of great things to keep you busy all within a short walk from the ship.

Thank you so much.  It sounds ideal and just what we are looking for.

If you have any other ideas you could share, it would be greatly appreciated.  

I would like to visit a sheep farm to see the dogs in action.  Did you do anything like that?  Viking is offering a couple of tours in different ports and I'm trying to decide on which one.

Hope you like Tauranga as much as we did. Have been there at least 3 times and always enjoy what is a nice little beach town. Since you are there overnight keep your eye on the Asian crew members. Every time we have been there, there is a steady stream of crew members heading to an Asian restaurant in town. Seems to be very popular with the guys. If the weather is nice you can try swimming either in the calm harbor or the ocean beach both a short walk away. Also may be kayaks for rent in the harbor but that seems to come and go.

We have been to a working sheep farm with the dogs running herd over the flock. It was so long ago though that I can't recall where we did it. Think it was outside of Wellington but can't be sure. Sorry. I can tell you that it was really interesting even for someone who grew up outside New York City and knows nothing about sheep or dogs

When you get there tell the guide you are likely to leave the group and ask where and when should you get back to the bus for return to the ship. 

Rotorua town isn't huge, the bus will drop off and pick up at the entrance to the geothermal park, which is where the kiwi habitat dome is. 

Enter the park with the group then do your own thing. The big geyser goes off ten minutes after the small one, and the other end of the park is much quieter

19 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Hope you like Tauranga as much as we did. Have been there at least 3 times and always enjoy what is a nice little beach town. Since you are there overnight keep your eye on the Asian crew members. Every time we have been there, there is a steady stream of crew members heading to an Asian restaurant in town. Seems to be very popular with the guys. If the weather is nice you can try swimming either in the calm harbor or the ocean beach both a short walk away. Also may be kayaks for rent in the harbor but that seems to come and go.

We have been to a working sheep farm with the dogs running herd over the flock. It was so long ago though that I can't recall where we did it. Think it was outside of Wellington but can't be sure. Sorry. I can tell you that it was really interesting even for someone who grew up outside New York City and knows nothing about sheep or dogs

Thanks very much Fred.  I think for the first day we will hang around Tauranga rather than venture inland to Rotorua.  It's nice to know you liked it so much; I think we've made the right choice.

We are always open to ideas, opinions, or favourite excursions for any part of the cruise. 😊🎂

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

When you get there tell the guide you are likely to leave the group and ask where and when should you get back to the bus for return to the ship. 

Rotorua town isn't huge, the bus will drop off and pick up at the entrance to the geothermal park, which is where the kiwi habitat dome is. 

Enter the park with the group then do your own thing. The big geyser goes off ten minutes after the small one, and the other end of the park is much quieter

Thank you!  That's very good information and we will research this further.  😊🎂