western carribean. in July

lisaanne0220

Has anyone sailed to the western carrib in July? Just wondering the weather since I think it is Hurricane season during that time. Is the water a lot rougher then the eastern? Should we get insurance in case the cruise is cancelled or do they give you a refund no matter what due to a hurricane?

Weather is unpredictable so far as hurricanes but it is always (IMHO only) unbearably hot and HUMID!! So if you're not a fan of stifling heat, mid-July/August are definitely not for you.

Re cancellation insurance if you go to a site like insuremytrip.com you can find out what the various companies cover.. Princess Cruises has an option with their insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason and get a Credit (NOT a refund) up to 90% for a future cruise.

During Hurricane season you can get an extended unplanned cruise (we got 10 instead of 7 in '04), go east/west instead of the direction you think you are going (we did that in '01/02 and '05) or have your cruise shortened, go to alternate ports etc. It really is a time of year when you truly ahve to be prepared to roll with the ship so to speak in terms of weather.

I always get cancellation insurance because so many things are totally out of our control that could result in a cancellation, or illness aboard etc. If I'm spending 1500 for a cruise, then 49-59 to ensure I get my money back if I can't go for a "covered reason" is IMHO a good investment!

We have done it in August for the last 2 years with no problem. It's a chance, you could have destinations changed or canceled or loose a day or so, or but chances are it will be fine & you will be glad you went!

If you have kids, the dates you can go is limited, so summer it is! Heat? so its hot I humid - same as home or cooler, the carribean typically doesn't get out of the low 90's when the US can reach high 90's or more. If your going for beach & pool no biggie.

Take the insurance & go.

Archived