La Rochelle to Bordeaux

bmswart3

Going to be on RCCL Anthem in a couple weeks and ship is docking in La Rochelle. We have opted for the "Bordeaux on your own" excursion, but it looks like Bordeaux is a 3 hour ride away and the excursion is only 9 hours. Which means, only 3 hours in Bordeaux and 6 hours traveling. Has anyone done this excursion? is it worth the long ride? Honestly, I'm a Bordeaux-blend wine addict...so I'm truly just going for the wine. Does that make it worth it? Would we be better served just staying in La Rochelle? I would love to hear about anyone's experiences with La Rochelle, Bordeaux, etc. thanks!! 

I havent done the tour you are considering. we often travel in France in our motorhome (RV) so we know the roads and the area fairly well. We've overnighted in La Rochelle.

La Rochelle is a beautiful historic port in its own right with lots to see and very nice French sea food on offer all over the place. So I would nt do the 3 hour coach ride. (scroll down this thread for previous detailed info on La Rochelle).

Also for the wine interest, the centre of Bordeaux isn't really where you want to be, the interesting thing would be the vineyard tours/villages. Which would take a lot more travel. Bon voyage!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bmswart3 said:

We have opted for the "Bordeaux on your own" excursion, but it looks like Bordeaux is a 3 hour ride away and the excursion is only 9 hours. Which means, only 3 hours in Bordeaux and 6 hours traveling.

You could ask about this on the RC forum where passengers who took this tour would be more likely to see it and respond.

"Bordeaux" is really only a marketing ploy,like Florence which is Livorno, Rome which is Civi, paris which is le havre  and London which is Dover or Southampton, all of which are around a good 2 hours from the actual ports.

If you were hoping to include at least one wine tour or visit St Emilion, you will be disappointed as it appears you will  only have time to explore Bordeaux city itself. Pleasant as it is, I personally do not feel it merits the very long journey time in exchange for such a short time exploring Bordeaux as most visitors would be focusing on wine related visits in the surrounding area.

La Rochelle is actually a very nice town for a port call (actually a holiday resort) and there is more than enough to see and do in a single day without the long journey times. I think you would be pleasantly surprised once you look into what it offers.

Reading some past threads might help, and if you have not already searched for and read a few, you could choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=la rochelle&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=462

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1