Cash & currency conversion onboard

seahorse001

Apologies (again) if this has been asked before. Two questions if anyone will be so kind.

1. When checking in to Sun Princess is it possible to open a tab with cash & top up at customer service when required ? 

2. If I add a card (debit) to my onboard account how can I ensure the currency conversion is done by my bank rather than the ships conversion ? (USD  to GBP)

Thanks 

First and foremost, the ship's onboard currency will be USD.  (It's safe to surmise the that ship's onboard currency will not be AUD because the Sun Princess will not be cruising ex Australia.)

40 minutes ago, seahorse001 said:

1. When checking in to Sun Princess is it possible to open a tab with cash & top up at customer service when required ?

It's possible, but you will have to pay in USD.  No other currency will be accepted as tender for your onboard folio.  There have been conflicting stories on this board about Guest Service's ability to perform FOREX transactions and even if they could, I'd imagine the rate woudn't be that great.  It would be best to bring along USD.

40 minutes ago, seahorse001 said:

2. If I add a card (debit) to my onboard account how can I ensure the currency conversion is done by my bank rather than the ships conversion ? (USD  to GBP)

Because the onboard currency is the USD, the charges will be charged in USD.  It's up to your bank to do the conversion once the charges are processed on their end.

I don't recommend using debit cards as the card on file for you folio.  There's a pre-authorization hold that's put on your card every day to make sure that it's still active and funds available.  If the account doesn't have the proper balance, you could be cut off.

From, your profile, it looks like you're from Wales.  Our ex-pat friends that live in London have told us that there's only a few credit cards that have no foreign transaction fees in the UK.  Maybe look into opening one of those instead if opting to use plastic instead of paper?  Otherwise, a cash tab in USD might be the better way to go, instead of a debit card.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

First and foremost, the ship's onboard currency will be USD.  (It's safe to surmise the that ship's onboard currency will not be AUD because the Sun Princess will not be cruising ex Australia.)

It's possible, but you will have to pay in USD.  No other currency will be accepted as tender for your onboard folio.  There have been conflicting stories on this board about Guest Service's ability to perform FOREX transactions and even if they could, I'd imagine the rate woudn't be that great.  It would be best to bring along USD.

Because the onboard currency is the USD, the charges will be charged in USD.  It's up to your bank to do the conversion once the charges are processed on their end.

I don't recommend using debit cards as the card on file for you folio.  There's a pre-authorization hold that's put on your card every day to make sure that it's still active and funds available.  If the account doesn't have the proper balance, you could be cut off.

From, your profile, it looks like you're from Wales.  Our ex-pat friends that live in London have told us that there's only a few credit cards that have no foreign transaction fees in the UK.  Maybe look into opening one of those instead if opting to use plastic instead of paper?  Otherwise, a cash tab in USD might be the better way to go, instead of a debit card.

Fantastic reply  STX22. Thank you

It's not a problem for me to bring USD in cash or to ensure my debit card has necessary funds.

I am aware of credit cards with no fee. I stupidly thought I had one but the bank has changed it's policy hence my questions. It is too late to apply for another now 😔 

I will probably use cash in USD. Exchange rate for USD rising slightly so should get a good rate  👍

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

The halifax Bank does a credit card called Clarity where purchases and foreign cash withdrawls are free of fees and give that days currency exchange rate when used. This is the one I have registered with Princess for my forthcoming cruise.

• Like 1

Depends on how much time you have available, but my Barclaycard Reward Visa was issued pretty quickly and has no overseas transaction fees (plus a 0.25% cashback). Plenty of fee-free debit cards available from Starling, Chase, etc.

• Like 1