Parents! Need carseat advice!

Guest kernfam01

Guest kernfam01

When we cruise my kids will be 4 and almost 2 (1yr 8 mths). Both still requiring car seats in our state. I am holding the younger one on my lap in the plane, and not bringing a carseat on the plane of the older one. (yes I know the dangers of turbulance so no need to post about that) So what my question is, we are flying in the day B4 & staying at a hotel. I am concerned about the ride from airport to hotel from hotel to pier. Yes I am concerned about my kids saftey, but I am leary of dragging 2 giant car seats along, only to just take up room in our cabin. I am worried we won't be able to get a ride in a taxi or something if I don't have a seat. Just very torn as what to do. I know on public busses they are not required, wondering if this is the same for shuttle busses, if we stay at a hotel that has a shuttle to pick us up and drop us off. I am not so much concerned with needing one in the ports. From what I have read, there are no laws about it. I am just concerned that I am going to get to tampa, and I won't be able to get a ride, be it by taxi, shuttle or whatever, because I am not going to have any car seats. I did have 1 travel agent tell me, don't you worry, there will be somebody there to take your money and give you a ride, but it has me a bit worried. Just wanted to add that I am a very strict mother when it comes to car seats, so this is a bit unusual for me, but with all the crap I have to bring along when traveling w/ kids, I am just not going to be dragging the big seats, for a total of probably 15 minutes in a taxi. KWIM? I did post this on the family boars, but thought I'd try here too. Thanks!

i am not real sure about the law but, i beleive children under 40lbs must be in a car seat. i drive a school bus and they are required in them if the child is under 40lbs. i live in orlando, fa. also when you call for a taxi tell them you need one with a car seat, and i belive they will send a taxi with one. good luck.

I would imagine that carseats are not required on commercial transportation such as Taxis and hotel shuttles.You should be fine.For confirmation you could check the Florida Department of Public Safety web-site.

Crawfish_cook.gif Let's see what we can stir up!

SINSATION 10/23/04 firedevil.gif

CONQUEST 10/19/03

INSPIRATION 10/21/01

If the dangers of "turbulance" are known, what's the point of this post?

I think the danger of turbulance far exceeds that of a short cab ride.

There are some that think that cruising is NOT for children and I happen to be one of them. But if you must, as anohter poster said on a different thread....."take Disney" - AND bring the car seat.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Regarding traveling with your child on your lap on the airplane (and concern w/ turbulance)...there is a product on the market called Baby B'Air. It is a fabric vest which the child wears and then you attach it to your seat belt. This way if there is any turbulance your child won't get bounced around.

Kernfam..

You have to follow your conscience, and I'm BEGGING you to listen to it...

I have 4 children, and yes..I have lugged the car seats on planes (by myself..no husband to help), and 'anywhere' else that I needed to take my children. If I wasn't up for the challenge, I didn't go..(which has happened ALOT)LOL!

I understand where you're coming from, but please..please..think about it before you decide for sure what you should do..

(not a flame on my part...I DO know what you're going through..) Bird xoxo

Sensation 5/15/2004

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I took my then 2yr old with Dh and 2 stepkids on a cruise, we flew with 2yr old in my lap, and no problems on the shuttle bus with child in my lap. The cars we went in different ports didn't seem to have seat belts anyway. I just held him

Married on Fantasy 9/95

Ecstasy 3/2001

Fantasy 9/2002

Sensational Cruise 7/24/04

Guest kernfam01

Oh my, livtojump, how rude! I have seen your posts b4 regarding how much you dislike children on cruises. I always wonder, if you are so disgusted by children on cruise ships, why do you always put your two cents in on conversations that concern children. Obviouslly this post was something regarding kids, so if you don't like'em, why do you even click on the post and read it? Why not pass it by? It's a rough world out there. We are always going to have to deal with things we don't like. To me that is stuffy people who can not appreciate the joy a child. To you it is children. So lets just call it even. I won't contribute to conversations that concern stuffy people, and in the future please spare us you opinion of how terrible it is for YOU to cruise with children. No matter how much you complain, it isn't going to change, and I'll tell ya what, I'm sure as hell not going to change my vacation and leave my kids at home because of people like you. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kernfam01:

Oh my, livtojump, how rude! I have seen your posts b4 regarding how much you dislike children on cruises. I always wonder, if you are so disgusted by children on cruise ships, why do you always put your two cents in on conversations that concern children. Obviouslly this post was something regarding kids, so if you don't like'em, why do you even click on the post and read it? Why not pass it by? It's a rough world out there. We are always going to have to deal with things we don't like. To me that is stuffy people who can not appreciate the joy a child. To you it is children. So lets just call it even. I won't contribute to conversations that concern stuffy people, and in the future please spare us you opinion of how terrible it is for YOU to cruise with children. No matter how much you complain, it isn't going to change, and I'll tell ya what, I'm sure as hell not going to change my vacation and leave my kids at home because of people like you. icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that. Liv is the rudest poster on this board.

Liv - we get it! You don't like kids on cruises. Now give it a freakin' rest already!

If you don't have something to add to a thread other than your usual "kids shouldn't cruise" comment just leave it alone. We get the point.

Jeez!!!

Pat the Beancounter

Kern....

My family will be cruising later this summer, and we will be bringing my 4 1/2 year old along with her BOOSTER SEAT.....(for the airplane ride and transportation...)

Ackpth

Mardi Gras 1987

Carnivale 1989

Zenith 1992

Regal 1993

Sensation 1996

Big Red Boat 1998

Norway 1999

Maasdamm 2001

Nordic Empress 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kernfam01:

Oh my, livtojump, how rude! I have seen your posts b4 regarding how much you dislike children on cruises. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, how does my being "rude" compare to the stupidity of the origianl post? I mean really...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When we cruise my kids will be 4 and almost 2 (1yr 8 mths). Both still requiring car seats in our state. I am holding the younger one on my lap in the plane, and not bringing a carseat on the plane of the older one. (yes I know the dangers of turbulance so no need to post about that) So what my question is, we are flying in the day B4 & staying at a hotel. I am concerned about the ride from airport to hotel from hotel to pier. Yes I am concerned about my kids saftey, but I am leary of dragging 2 giant car seats along, only to just take up room in our cabin. I am worried we won't be able to get a ride in a taxi or something if I don't have a seat. Just very torn as what to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When one has children and decides to book a cruise, does one all of a sudden lose all parental instinct?

Pat41 - Me the "rudest" poster? I highly doubt that. Go check the other boards. If you get it, then why is this always discussed? Again I have to ask....just because one goes on vacation...is that a reason or excuse for all parental common sense to hit the crapper?

As long as this is a PUBLIC forum I will continue to add my .02 like it or not....it's public. If ones asks for "advise" from people they DON'T know in a forum such as this, they should expect good and bad responses.

Now everyone hold hands, sing and enroll in an English class!!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Kernfam...

I regret that I have to repeat myself..

but here it comes...

Don't let other people JUSTIFY your childrens' safety to YOU!

If something were to happen to one of them, would 'these' people (who told you not to worry about it) apologize to you for your loss??

'And' if so, would their apology be 'enough' to ease your heart???

It only takes one second to change your life forever..

Now.....I've said my piece

Sensation 5/15/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Just a thought! Since Disney Cruises are designed for families & children, do they provide special carseat equipped transportation at there ports of call? If so, maybe a Disney cruise is something you might consider.

Valor 10/30/05 Miracle 2/13/05

Sensation 10/04

Conquest May 2003

Holiday Sept 2002

Inspiration 2001

Celebration 2000

Crown Princess 1999

Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 1998

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

valorvampires.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Pat41 - Me the "rudest" poster? I highly doubt that. Go check the other boards. If you get it, then why is this always discussed? Again I have to ask....just because one goes on vacation...is that a reason or excuse for all parental common sense to hit the crapper?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are the rudest (and most prolific) poster.

I believe the OP's question was regarding car seats. Her question was NOT "What does everyone think about bringing kids on cruises?" Yet you felt the best thing for you to do was to insult the OP and toss out the usual "kids don't belong on cruises" lament. Whenever there is a post regarding kids you toss out that line no matter what the topic.

Liv the next time you post something of value will be the first time.

Pat the Beancounter

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that these boards were set up for people to share their opinions on different topics. If an OP asks a question, then the OP and other posters as well should expect and respect the opinions of those who have answered. Just because one does not agree with anothers opinion does not make that opinion wrong.

As for specifying one poster as being the "rudest" poster because their beliefs are different than yours, I personally think that is just as rude if not moreso.

For the record, Livtojump has posted a LOT of valuable information to these boards. Although new to posting, I have been lurking for a while and have been inspired to get a passport due to MANY of his posts about how important it is to do so.

As for bringing children on a cruise, that is everyone's individual right. If you are comfortable bringing them, please do so. If you feel that a cruise is more of an adult vacation than leave them at home with someone you trust. Either way, each person is entitled to their opinion without being slammed.

PP<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat41:

Yes you are the rudest (and most prolific) poster.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't even begun to be "prolific"

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Car Seat Advice from a Pediatric Nurse.....take the carseat!!! If your kids are important enough for you to take them on a cruise don't risk their lives by not taking the carseat. You ask for advice...there it is! icon_mad.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/17/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/23/04

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh really??

Let's see...you have been a member since July 1, 2003 and have 5,228 posts (of which at least 3,000 include your standard kids don't belong on cruises lament). According to my math that is over 14 posts per day including holidays.

Whew!!! You should change your name from "Livtojump" to "Liv-to-post-on-cruise-critic".

Maybe it's just me but 5,000 posts in less than a year is a little obsessive. I think you need a few other hobbies.

Pat the Beancounter

At the risk of being flamed (ouch!!) on this always sensitive topic I'd encourage you to check Ebay for the FreedomRide harness. It'll work good for your older child leaving you just one car seat to "lug." We used it with our almost five year old and he did fine. It's like a five point harness that works with any seat with a lap belt. It's FAA and USDOT approved. Kind of a pain to get configured right the first time but after that its a breeze. Advice---try it on and get it set up BEFORE you leave for the airport. icon_smile.gif

Once you get to your room most cruise lines will store the car seat for you until you need it again. Another tip---tip your cabin steward a "little" something when you arrive in you room on the first day---it's amazing what a little incentive will do for your service level. Have a Great Trip!!

Guest kernfam01

Let me just clarify, I was not intending on neglecting my childrens' saftey because I am on vacation. As I stated in my original post, I am very strict about my childrens saftey and carseats. The reason I said I was aware of turbulence dangers, and there was no reason to post about it is because I ALREADY HAVE a baby by air device and intend to use it. What I was looking for was advice from other PARENTS who have cruised with children and how they handled the carseat issue. For example, taking a smaller booster or some type of portable seat. THAT was the advice I was looking for, not an okay to neglect my children. I was trying to educate myself on what the best option was that was safe for my children, and more convienient for me. Where the "stupidity" in that is, I'll never know. I guess if liv sees it as stupid to try and educate myself on the best saftey options for my child while on vacation, I am not really the stupid one here, am I?! Liv I have a suggestion for you. Mabey you should better educate yourself about children and traveling with them, that way when a topic comes up regarding traveling with them, you have something more intelligent and useful to offer, rather than the usual "cruising is NOT for kids" drivel. Obviously most cruiselines disagree with you, but I suppose you think you are more of an expert on cruising than they are. icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks to all who offered REAL advice. Oh, and if anyone is curious, I purchased Tote N Go portable carseats (4 lbs each, fit in carry on) for both my kids. This is a product that was suggested to me on another board, and is exactly the solution I was looking for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat41:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh really??

Let's see...you have been a member since July 1, 2003 and have 5,228 posts (of which at least 3,000 include your standard kids don't belong on cruises lament). According to my math that is over 14 posts per day including holidays.

Whew!!! You should change your name from "Livtojump" to "Liv-to-post-on-cruise-critic".

Maybe it's just me but 5,000 posts in less than a year is a little obsessive. I think you need a few other hobbies.

Pat the Beancounter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat..

I have plenty to say, too..

(feel free to take that 'any' way you choose)

I should HOPE that wouldn't be held against ME when my 5000 comes to pass..

I also hope you don't take this personally, since you are 'here' reading this..

but if you do....

"TUFF"!!!

Kernfam...

Thank you for the clarification..

Your intentions were NOT made known in the original post..

Apologies

Sensation 5/15/2004

valorvampires.gif

Hi, kern. I didn't post anything before because I had nothing of use to offer. I've also been looking for alternatives to lugging the big carseats on vacation. My kids are of similar age to yours (4 and 2). Could you please email me where you found the Tote N Go portable carseats? And could you let me know how you like them after you use them? My email is sgedneyrubelNOSPAM@yahoo.com.

Just remove the NOSPAM and it should work fine. Thanks so much.

Shirley

cruising-courtesy-kindness

Surprise! 4 Night to Canada on the Victory . . . July 22, 2004

4-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 10, 2005

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01, 4/03, 5/04

RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

Hi

We just returned from the 6/12 cruise on the miracle and 1 stop was cape canaveral...the cab driver was saying they lose their license for letting kids in without car seats..in the bahamas they didn't care...

Archived