Wheelchair accessible van rental Port Canaveral Fl

tld723

Good morning.  I've searched the boards and not found any info on the matter. We are cruising RCL 8 Dec 24 and Port Canaveral is our first stop. There are no accessible excursions, but we'd like to go to Universal Studios. Does anyone know of an accessible van rental company near the port?

Thanks in advance!

Tami

I was doing a bit of digging on this myself as I am doing a cruise out of there in December and it was very frustrating. There are some companies out of Orlando that have accessible shuttles but they were very expensive (at least $280US, one way). There are also several places that rent but all out of Orlando and they were even more expensive and charged transportation to pick up/drop off in Port Canaveral.

Everyone talks about how it's much easier to just rent a car than to take cabs etc. but it's definitely not true once you add a wheelchair into the mix. Like, hundreds of dollars for a day compared to $50 to just rent a normal car.

Others with more direct knowledge may have better ideas but if you want to go to Universal after the cruise... I imagine the best would be to take a transfer (either private or just via RCCL) back to the airport and then take an accessible cab or through a company like Mears that has accessible shuttles from there to Universal.

I guess it depends a bit on how you are trying to organize your itinerary but I think a direct ride from the port to Universal will cost you an unfair amount of $. If you're staying and using the van a few days, maybe it evens out. It looks like I didn't keep track of all the companies I crossed off but for what it's worth, this was one company I talked to...

https://www.freddytransportation.com/

These guys have an accessible shuttle from airport to hotel/port and back...

https://cab888.com/

I tried a couple of rental companies too (I know Mobility Works was one) but again, the costs didn't work for us.

Good luck!

I would ask the cruise line excursion desk about accessible excursions and how they are complying with the ADA.

i would think about making the argument that the cruise line is operating like a hotel and the scheduled shuttle services are ancillary services and as such the cruise line is obligated to provide an accessible option.