Cruising visa for New Zealand

1 hour ago, Diver1957 said:

Cruising to Sydney with a couple stops in New Zealand while filling out the pre arrival visa NZETA would we be considered as being in transit or a visitor.

A visitor. If you read the details of "transit", it allows you to be at the airport only. Since you will be in the country outside of the airport, you need "visitor".

Made that mistake this year (Ovation out of Sydney to New Zeland - never again BTW, those cruise protestors in NZ are annoying and nastry). Had to pay again and do "visitor". 

Edited by TripsYouMustDo

From https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/transit-passengers#:~:text=You are not a transit,lets you enter New Zealand.

Transit passengers

You are a transit passenger if you are passing through Auckland International Airport on your way to another country, and:

• for the whole time you stay in the transit area at Auckland Airport, on board the plane you came to New Zealand on, or in the custody of New Zealand Police, and
  • stay for less than 24 hours.

You will usually need a Transit Visa or an NZeTA that lets you transit — you cannot enter New Zealand.

So basically the only thing Transit visa is good for is for Transiting through Transit area of Auckland airport only. That's it. Anything else - you need Visitor.

I can't believe you need a Visa or ETA to transit through the airport. But that's true... 

12 hours ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

So basically the only thing Transit visa is good for is for Transiting through Transit area of Auckland airport only. That's it. Anything else - you need Visitor.

I can't believe you need a Visa or ETA to transit through the airport. But that's true... 

The USA also requires a visa or ESTA for transit. 

59 minutes ago, Diver1957 said:

Thanks for you for the help. Just thought since I was not spending the night on land I would be considered transit.

I guess I will buy another one .

I did the same exact thing using the same exact logic... 🙂