Any scuba recommendation for Key West?

jazzydiver

Hello everyone,

I'll be in Key West (my first time at that port) at the end of January on the NCL Jade.  We are going to dive later on on this cruise in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but are thinking of trying diving at Key West if there are some good recommendations.

I tried searching this forum, but the only thing that came up was Harris in Denver suggesting NOT using Key West for a Discover Scuba experience, but I'm not sure if that means there isn't any decent scuba available.

I have a friend who recommended snorkeling at Key West (she's a non-scuba diver) - is just snorkeling a better choice at this port?

Thanks for any input.

@jazzydiver

I've dove several times in Key West, Always diving the Vandenberg wreck.  I've used both Finz Diving Center and Lost Reef Adventures.  Lost Reef has the advantage of being within a long walk or short cab ride from the cruise pier, whereas Finz is some distance away. 

If you like wreck dives, the Vandenberg is worth doing.  Lost reef does double dives on the wreck, and it's big enough to be worth diving twice in a day.  It's fairly deep, and when the current is strong it becomes a rather advanced dive.  I'm sure Lost Reef runs trips to other sites, and I've had generally fine experience with them.  As is true with most Florida dive operators, the price does NOT include a dive guide.  If you're not able to navigate your own dive, or if you want a guide, you will pay separately for that service.  (https://lostreefadventures.com/)

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv