Porters??

Icon5

I was woundering, when I get off the cab at the port - do I need to use the porter service, or can I do it myself? If I use the porters are they readily available, do I have to flag them down, what if I do not use their services.

I am going on the Elation and it is my first time so I am not sure how to proceed.

Any advice is appreciated.:)

You won't need their services if you are carrying everything on yourself and everything will fit through the 11x17 Xray machine.... you only need them if you are checking bags. If you are checking bags, just go up to one and ask for their help, chances are they will see you before you see them :D

My bags would fit throught the x-ray machine...but my DW luggage probably will not fit:p !

so I give them our bags and of course a tip! and they find their way to our cabins correct?

My bags would fit throught the x-ray machine...but my DW luggage probably will not fit:p !

so I give them our bags and of course a tip! and they find their way to our cabins correct?

Yuppers! That's it!!! You really don't want to lug that stuff around all day anyway, even if it did fit! That would be no fun!!!! Have a great cruise!!!

ICON - The usual procedure for most passengers is to hand your luggage (locked, and with the Carnival luggage tags) over to the porters at the pier. The customary tip is $1 per bag. The porters are not employees of Carnival, but are employed by the Port Authority, and they make sure your luggage gets onto the ship - for the Carnival employees to take to your cabin.

If you have small pieces of carry-on luggage, you keep them with you. (meds, cameras, valuables). ALL luggage, whether checked or carried on, goes through x-ray machines. The carry-ons must fit into a 11"x17" scanner opening.

Thanks all for the info...

Has it ever happened that the luggage got lost, misplaced or even stollen:eek: before it got a chance to board the ship?

Of course it has and in New Orleans it was quite common that if you didn't tip your porters you would receive your luggage soaking wet as it would "accidently" fall in the river. ALWAYS TIP YOUR PORTER.They deserve and hold alot of leverage over you.

Silly question here maybe. We will be checking most of our bags but keeping a carry on with a few toys, meds and camera. But....we will travel with a o2 concentrator. It's a big (not real big) contraption on wheels that we have to make sure is with us in case our mother needs it when our rooms are ready. We would not want to check that since we know that bags usually don't arrive till after dinner. So, can you check bags but still take something the size of another bag on? Sounds confusing I am sure. Am thinking of getting a rolling cart to make it a little easier to navigate even though it has it's own wheels.

Any thoughts?

Check back on the boards, a few years ago it was quite common to hear about that happening in NO

I read about two incidents, at least one was an accident, one may have been intentional, but hardly common.

Do you work in the media?

Any thoughts?

Certainly not a silly question. It's an important item, and I'd call the Guest Services dept. and inquire as to what procedure you need to follow. Surely, they would have no problem whatsoever with you wheeling it on.:)

I read about two incidents, at least one was an accident, one may have been intentional, but hardly common.

Do you work in the media?

AT least porters aren't part of that forced to work against their will, want to throw you off the ship hated by the aunt cruise employees:)

Archived