Animal Flower Cave

Sunniebgi

I can't remember who asked.. but here is an update.

I went to Animal flower Cave on Tuesday. Haven't been in years. Didn't go in the snack bar, but it was open. several vendors selling tourist goods.. and they now have it set up nicely.. benches to sit on.. however.. the cliff is hiddon part of the way by some kind of fence which really detracts from how it looked before.. which was just rocks and cliffs.

I have never been down in the caves so can't tell you about that part.. maybe someone else can do that.

I would, however, seriously recommend that you try to get really good directions before going. While we didn't get lost, the road signs aren't wonderful.

Sunniebg,

It was me who asked about the snack bar at the Animal Flower Cave.

I know you said the snack bar was open but you didn't go in. When we were there last year it was a very bright blue and yellow building. Is that building still the snack bar?

We haven't been down to the caves. Really never thought about it.

This will be the third year in a row for us on Barbados and we've been able to find Crane Beach, the Roundhouse in Bathsheba and the Animal Flower Cave with no problem. I do agree though that it's very easy to get lost!

Thanks so much for remembering us!!

HI Habby,

I'm going to assume its still a snack bar. None of the other vendors seemed to be selling anything other than souveniors, so one would hope it's a snack bar.

Maybe I can find a number and call and ask a question. The NCC (national cultural commission might know if I can get the question answered any other way. Kind of stupid to go all that way and not go in. We actually stopped at a little shop in a village just before we got there.

Our drive actually took us to a place called Cove Bay (or Gay's Cove as it is also called .. not sure of the meaning for that except maybe the original owner of the land). It's actually a private piece of land on the upper east coast but its right on a cliff and has sweeping fews of Pico Tenerife and the east coast heading south. Trust me.. I couldn't tell anyone had to get to that point.. I might be able to find it on my own.. but it's better to let my hubby do the driving.

HI Habby,

I'm going to assume its still a snack bar. None of the other vendors seemed to be selling anything other than souveniors, so one would hope it's a snack bar.

Maybe I can find a number and call and ask a question. The NCC (national cultural commission might know if I can get the question answered any other way. Kind of stupid to go all that way and not go in. We actually stopped at a little shop in a village just before we got there.

Our drive actually took us to a place called Cove Bay (or Gay's Cove as it is also called .. not sure of the meaning for that except maybe the original owner of the land). It's actually a private piece of land on the upper east coast but its right on a cliff and has sweeping fews of Pico Tenerife and the east coast heading south. Trust me.. I couldn't tell anyone had to get to that point.. I might be able to find it on my own.. but it's better to let my hubby do the driving.

Thanks Sunniebg,

Please don't waste too much time on the snack bar. We were told last year that it was going to be torn down and/or rebuilt. We figured if Maritza or Manny are not going to be there we may not make the trip up there. We have pictures from 1987 of Manny, and pictures we took with Maritza last year, that we'd like to give them. Or we may stop by Manny's restaurant on the west coast. Either way, it won't be the end of the world if we don't go to the North Point.

Found Gay's Cove on our map. Looks to be a little under two miles south of the North Point on the east coast, if there was a road along the coast there;) . Since there's not, it's probably a five-mile drive!

Thank yo so much for your kindness. We are very much looking forward to visiting your transplanted home soon!

habby

I too had heard that the restaurant in the A-frame building was not going to be there any longer.

Is it still there -- the one with all of the business cards all over the walls/ceiling? We loved to get the cutters up there with a beer.

I never realized Manny owned the place -- he's the one that runs Suga Suga.

Let me know what you find out.

Lois

I too had heard that the restaurant in the A-frame building was not going to be there any longer.

Is it still there -- the one with all of the business cards all over the walls/ceiling? We loved to get the cutters up there with a beer.

I never realized Manny owned the place -- he's the one that runs Suga Suga.

Let me know what you find out.

Lois

That's the building we're trying to find out about. Do you know Manny? We have a photo of him at the restaurant from 1987 that I'd love to give him. When we were up there last year Maritza was there. She said she was Manny's mother and that he had a restaurant on the west coast.

I will definitely report when we get back.

the A-Frame building is still there as of last week.. but I can't say if its still a snack bar as I didn't go inside. As I said earlier, I assume it is because none of the other vendors who have set up shop sell food or drink.

I didn't realize that it was Manny or his mother that ran the place..

Here is a link to Mannie's site (is this the same Mannie?):

http://www.mullinsbeach.com/events.html

If so, you could probably contact him via e-mail there. This place is on the West Coast. It used to be Mullin's Bar and for the past few years, it's Mannie's.

Let me know.

Lois

Hi Lois,

If that's Mannie in the picture helping a guest at the buffet, yes it's the same guy we met in '87. This is great. Thanks so much taking time to get this info. You'll never know how much it's appreciated.

I will definitely let you know how things go.

BTW, we contacted Stoute's for our car rental and got a great deal. Thanks again for that, too!

Sandy

• 3 months later...

Cindi

While I have never been inside the cave at Animal Flower Cave, I don't think it will compare at all to Harrisons Cave. 2 totally different things from what I gather.. but the view from the cliffs is stunning. The area is on the North Coast with it's rocky cliffs heading straight down to very wild seas. It's a good spot to get a different view of the Barbados coast line.

Enjoy your day in Barbados

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All ~ my husband and I went to Barbados last month and spent 8 lovely days. One day we decided to take the bus and go to Speighstown (north/west). We asked to be dropped off a little bit before Speighstown to check out the West coast beaches. It was meant to be ~ we ate lunch at Suga Suga restaurant and met Mannie and his niece, Desiree. After lunch Desiree offered tot ake us to the Animal Flower Cave and told us the families history of the whole aree of Animal Flower Cave. The area is all owned by Mannie's family and it is very spectacular. We did go into the cave and we have never seen a cave like that. Very interesting and beautiful. The cliffs are amazing and they have built benches with shaded areas and you can just sit there and take in the overwhelming beauty.

The A-frame house is still there and there you pay the entrance fee to go into the cave. Not sure but I thought it was US $5 per person. There are several bright colored cabins with souvenirs (jewelry ~ paintings etc). We never looked for the snackbar since our bellies were full from the wonderful lunch at Suga Suga. Try to stop there and have lunch and use the gorgeous beach and swim in the calm waters. Lots of watersports is available. Suga Suga offers food and drink service at the beach as well.

The people are so very friendly and the blue busses cost US$ 0.75 per person and they run all along the coasts from Bridgetown.

Els

Ps. Harrison caves we did not visit since it was compared to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. We had already seen that. We did do two catamaran trips out of Bridgetown and they were wonderful. We swam with turtles and snorkeled at two other sides on the west coast.

• 2 weeks later...

We added our business cards in April. The snack bar was open, but we just bought drinks, no food.

If you go into the caves wear your bathing suits and towels. You can stay down there as long as you want. The pools of water are crystal clear and with a view of the ocean through the cliff side cave opening.

Archived