What's Your Favorite Mid-Size Ship 4 Teens?

angelkisses

I would really like to hear from some of the teens or their parents on their favorite mid-size ship.DD (13) enjoys sports activities and would like a Teen Dance Club that 13 year olds can attend. This will be my 2nd cruise and my daughters 1st cruise. I'm sure she would love the mega-size ships that have a whole city to offer but I have a bad knee and would prefer something just a little smaller.

We prefer to do the Western Caribbean and would like to do the Cave Tubing in Belize.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

I am a teen and have been on seven cruises and my eighth one is the Veendam (HAL) the 15th of April. I have been on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Holland, and Premier. I would suggest any of the Princess or the Royal Caribbean ships. Maybe carnival but I did not do the teen activites onboard the Holiday (Carnival). It was the only carnival ship I have been on so I am not sure about the others. Holland has an excellent teen brogram and all of their ships are considered midsized compared to the huge ships of today but I can not recall if they had a disco or not. I would not suggest carnival but I would suggest princess or holland since they tend to be a bit cheaper, have better food, better entertainment and excellent childrens programs. Especially now with Holland's Signature of Excellence upgrades, almost all of their ships now have the Loft and The Oasis, the new teen centers on HAL.

Thank you Jared for your comments. I have only sailed on one ship myself and that was HAL Maasdam (which was small), I had not even thought of the possibility of looking into one of their mid-size ships for my daughter. I really enjoyed our cruise on HAL but then again, I had nothing to compare it too. Its nice to know that HAL is getting more focused on younger families. I will certainly have to make HAL a major consideration. I hope you will post a review on your return from the April 15th cruise.

Robin

My kids had a great time on Carnival (Elation, Inspiration and Conquest). The Conquest had the most to offer, but it's a very big ship. On Carnival, your 13 year old would be in the 12-14 year old group. There would be teen activities, including dancing, but at a certain time, the teen club would be for ages 15-17 only (they are really trying to offer something for the older teens, but if the club isn't too crowded, they sometimes allow younger teens in). Some of the smaller ships do not have a dedicated teen club (although they still offer daily activities); in that case, teens are allowed in the adult disco until 10pm.

You should try to do a search to find a list of teen activities for each of the cruiselines you are looking at. But, more specifically, find out what is offered for 13 year olds since each cruiseline separates the teens differently. For example, Club02 on Carnival is for ages 15-17, but many people refer to it as the teen club, so parents with younger teens sometimes think their 13 and 14 year olds will be in Club02.

Have fun planning!:D

Angelkiss,

No Problem at all. I will be sure to post a review of the loft and oasis when i get back. Also, do not worry if many of the TA sites say that many of HAL's ships dont have teen clubs, they just havent updated their website. The only two that have not been updated are the maasdam which will be updated by April 28 and the Oosterdam which will be updated October 3

I found this site about teens and cruising; it might be helpful.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/teen/

I have a 13 yo DD, she never likes to get involved with organized activities and, on our most recent cruise this year, we were with another family and she just hung out with their 15 yo. I was looking around for info -- not really for ship info, but more for "attitude" information.

A lot of teens post personal information -- just be forewarned about this. If you're just looking for info, this site may be good.

The Enchantment of the Seas (RCCL)...she has a nice teen area, rock wall, bungee trampolines, expanded buffet, expanded pool deck, and lots of nice features for adults as well after recent refurb/expansion. We were on board last September, and the whole family loved it!

Archived