Atlantis Submarine

pioneers

We did it a few years ago in Kona. My wife is not into water activities, so this was a way for her to see what's down there. JMO, while a submarine is a neat adventure, you'll see a lot more if you go snorkeling and probably at nowhere near the cost of the submarine.

Thought I'd add that you'll see a lot more fish if you stop at the Pacific Beach Oceanarium in Waikiki and the only cost there is if you decide to eat. Great place for breakfast.

I agree. We got 1/2 price tickets by being local (we went to the Kona one) and I feel that was too expensive. But My kids loved it...even my son who is afraid of everything.

We were on the latest trip of the day. The water was clear but I think all of the fish were asleep. We didnt see anything much more than an aquarium. No turtles, dolphins, wreckage etc. Just coral and fish. The great barrier reef blew this one away.

Like I said, the kids loved it and we couldnt have gotten them into snorkle gear to do a dolphin snorkle adventure. If youre kids are old enough to snorkle, that would be a better experience and cheaper probably. Snorkling would be a quiet private experience (meaning you would be alone with the fish) but inside the sub was loud and crowded. The tour operator yelled into the microphone when he saw anything. I think he was trying to whip us up into excitement but my ears were ringing.

I also recommend gettig the entertainment book or finding another way to get a coupon. The cost can be shocking for what you get.

my final recommendation is to not go on the late trip. I heard that you see less as the morning goes on. It seemed to be true.

The kids would probably enjoy Sea Life Park on Oahu more. Dolphin shows, turtles, sharks, seals, etc....and now a luau too.

Thank you so much for all the information:):):)!!!! I will take them snorkeling, to the oceanarium and still do this since my son likes the idea of the submarine and insists that this is all he want to do. Doing it this way, I think I get to please all, including the big kids.:D

Again thanks for the info, since I didn't know about the Pacific Beach Oceanarium in Waikiki and what a great bargain as far as price.

There are vessels that only ride along the surface with the main hull just under water, but the Atlantis submarine is actually a sub in that it goes down to a depth of about 100' and travels a short distance while submerged. I was amazed at how much natural light there was at that depth although it did change the green led on my camera to orange. They explained it is due to the filtering of the sunlight by the water

If you book online, you can save 10%

There are vessels that only ride along the surface with the main hull just under water, but the Atlantis submarine is actually a sub in that it goes down to a depth of about 100' and travels a short distance while submerged. I was amazed at how much natural light there was at that depth although it did change the green led on my camera to orange. They explained it is due to the filtering of the sunlight by the water

If you book online, you can save 10%

Thanks for the info!!!

By the way, my 16yr old daughter wants me to ask you how the pictures came out. She has an HP digital she will be taking with her.

Our pictures came out great, just disappointing in that there weren't more fish, but there was lots of coral. There is plenty of light, so you can disable the flash to eliminate the glare in the window.

Archived