Cococay waverunners? are they really worth it?

saratogian

Hi I am new to the world of cruising as this cruise is my first one. My mother and I are taking a four day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas to the bahamas on June 5 thru June 9. The ports are nassau (we are scuba diving there-cant wait!), cococay, and key west. We were wanting to rent some waverunners at one of these stops but dont know if key west or nassau has ones available. We heard of the waverunner excursion offered on cococay and it sounded like it would be fun. Has anyone done the waverunner excursion on cococay? Is it worth the money? We really wanted to open up the throtel and go fast and get some air! can you do this while you are on the tour? any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I went on my first cruise last year and did the dive in nassau, and wave runner tour + parasailing in coco cay. I would highly recommend the wave runner tour if you aren't afraid of running wide open in sightly choppy water. You will go out in a group of 10 and run in a line with a guide leading and another one at back of the pack. The fastest riders are up font while slower riders are in the back. When I went we had a REALLY large couple that decided to double up on one and ran about half throttle in the front of the pack and slowed down the whole group. They were moved back into the back of the pack at the first stop of our tour to allow others to run wide open. The guides do a good job of putting the more skilled riders up front, and an even better job tell you about the different islands that you will stop at. The waver runners aren't really that fast (around 40 mph maybe), and I believe they are governed. I had a blast and look forward to taking the wave runner tour again in may when I vist on majesty of the seas.

wow, thanks iamkidc! your review was very helpful and I think we just might take the waverunner tour. sounds fun and I hope you have fun on the majesty in may. I want to hear how the cruise was when you get back!

We are going on Sovereign of the Seas in July with our 15 yr old. I know that the driver has to be at least 16 yrs old to drive a waverunner, but does the passenger also need to be at least 16? What about for parasailing? Thanks so much! :o

We actually pulled up to the islands and shut off the wave runners in about 4 ft. of water. Some people jump off into the water to cool off while others sit on their wave runner while the guide tells everyone about the island. I forget which island it was, but while we were stopped at the island used as an old landing strip for drug runners (one of the guide's interesting stories) we saw and picked up a big star fish.

Okay, I am absolutely PETRIFIED of sharks and wondered if anyone has come across any while on a waverunner. My 15 yr old feels the same way, we should have never watched "Open Water", that did it for me! I am having a hard time talking him into going into the ocean for any type of activities.

My son and I did the waverunners in February and loved it. We own our own Polaris up North so we are experienced. Just for the record, the digital display had us at 61MPH at one point. Also, my son is 16 with only a NJ learners permit, he is licenced to operate jet ski and has Coast Guard certification- they still would not allow him to operate waverunner. He ended up with me and we still had a ball. Highly recommend it. We alternated between first and second behind group leader and he does go fast.

We were at Coco Cay last July and October - the price for the waverunners allowed for two people. I notice that it has now changed and there is a price for the driver ($89) and one for the passenger ($29). Now, we had a blast being on them but not so sure that I will be paying $128 this time around when we are there again in July.

I also note they are now charging to use the big water slide and the water toys. :(

When our family did it last year we book online ahead of time. It was a good thing too because they were turning the walk-up people away that were trying to book on coco cay the day we were there. You will watch a 10 minute saftey video and then the tour last about 40 mins... probably an hour out of your day total. We already signed up to do the waverunners again next month when we return, and I can't wait! :)

Couple of questions, Did you book this through a web site or the ship? How long does it take to do? and if you could go back in time and tell yourself something, would you do it again or do something else?

We booked the first day on the ship. By the time we got down there to book, there were only two time slots left. We were lucky!!

Back in time - we had a ball. For both my daughter, her friend and my niece, it was the first time on a wave runner. The look of initial fear and then shear pleasure (after the screaming...lol) was worth every penny of it. It was a memory that we will all have. So yes, for me it was worth it and I am happy we did it. :)

Just a little suggestion- Try to book before noon as the waverunners go to a much nicer area than later in the day due to winds, tides, etc. You will go to area where rays are all over and is much more remote than just cruising right around the ship andCoco Cay Island

I did the 1pm wave runner tour on 04/18/06. I found that it was worth the money and was much longer than I expected. There were approx 3' seas this day and we did take a bit of a pounding trying to keep up with the leader, no rays on our trip so we may have gone to other areas due to wind. My only mistake was trying to keep up and not taking a slower pace, we were averaging 50 mph and I did take quite a physical beating with my daughter banging into me on the ski and the pounding waves.

Hi I am new to the world of cruising as this cruise is my first one. My mother and I are taking a four day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas to the bahamas on June 5 thru June 9. The ports are nassau (we are scuba diving there-cant wait!), cococay, and key west. We were wanting to rent some waverunners at one of these stops but dont know if key west or nassau has ones available. We heard of the waverunner excursion offered on cococay and it sounded like it would be fun. Has anyone done the waverunner excursion on cococay? Is it worth the money? We really wanted to open up the throtel and go fast and get some air! can you do this while you are on the tour? any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I JUST BOOKED THE WAVERUNNER TOUR IN COCOCAY. WE SAW THEM LAST YEAR IN IT LOOKS LIKE A BLAST

We just got back today from our trip on the Sovereign. Coco Cay was our favorite part; mainly due to the wave runners. This was my husband's favorite part of the whole cruise. He can't wait to go back. It was very fast, exciting, and worth every penny. Just remember to hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

I think they are pretty stable. Everyone has to wear a life jacket; so if you did fall in you would be okay. I was riding with my husband and I felt like I was going to fall off. The drivers wear a special jacket over there life jacket that has handles the passenger holds onto. It was a little scary, but I had a fabulous time. We will do the wave runners next time we go to Coco Cay.

Archived