Table for 2?

GACRUISER456

We will be on Celebrity this summer for our honeymoon and are debating the dinner arrangements. When I have sailed with my family in the past (RCCL primarily), we always did the large tables and it was a fun experience especially when it was second sitting. We usually closed down the restaurant! This time will be different with my new husband, and we are considering the table for 2, but I'm afraid I will miss the dining experience with fellow passengers. I'm sure I will get very mixed opinions, but I was curious what your preferences were and why.

We will be on Celebrity this summer for our honeymoon and are debating the dinner arrangements. When I have sailed with my family in the past (RCCL primarily), we always did the large tables and it was a fun experience especially when it was second sitting. We usually closed down the restaurant! This time will be different with my new husband, and we are considering the table for 2, but I'm afraid I will miss the dining experience with fellow passengers. I'm sure I will get very mixed opinions, but I was curious what your preferences were and why.

We LOVE the table for two. We are not always thrilled with where it

was located, but still have never felt the need to join a group. The alone-time with each other is wonderful; and we were never on board on our honeymoon!

We sat next to Spearmint & his DW on Century last Nov. Both couples actually had a table for 2. There was another table for 2 on the other side of my DH & me. To me, this was the best of both worlds. We could chat & enjoy those sitting next to us, but noone felt obligated to entertain the other couples. This provided us the opportunity to meet new friends, & have private dining time as well. :)

We sat next to Spearmint & his DW on Century last Nov. Both couples actually had a table for 2. There was another table for 2 on the other side of my DH & me. To me, this was the best of both worlds. We could chat & enjoy those sitting next to us, but noone felt obligated to entertain the other couples. This provided us the opportunity to meet new friends, & have private dining time as well. :)

Couldn't have said it better, Tammy! Bill (spearmint)

We always have a table for two and love it. As the previous posters stated, you can very easily visit with surrounding tables, but it isn't mandatory. The alone time is wonderful. You can visit all day long with new people, but just something special about dining alone. Go for it, I don't think you'd regret.

We just returned from Galaxy, had a table for two, and so did most of the couples we had met and befriended. After dinner, it was not unusual for any of us to visit other tables for coffee and desserts. We had a great time, but still had dinner alone. We had the best of both worlds.

Happy Honeymoon.

Marilyn

We had a table for 2 on our first Celebrity cruise 5 years ago when we took a 14 day transatlantic cruise of europe.For the first few days people pretty much kept to themselves but by the end of the first week end we were all sitting together.When we took our first NCL cruise everything was freestyle dinnig.You never sat next to the same people twice.On Celebrity you have the same waiters and people around you for the entire cruise.I think it makes for a much nicer experience.When we would go to the dining room for breakfast sometimes we would be seated with total strangers for about 1/2 hour.By the time breakfast was over with we knew everyones name and got to know something about them.The most popular question that always seems to comes up is "Is this your first cruise"? After that you'll find that everyone has something in common to talk about.You'll see all the eyebrows go up.

Hi,

We always have this debate every time we book a cruise. We think we want a table for 2 as the 1st, maybe 2nd night is a little awkward when sharing a table. I would say that out of 12 cruises we have probably done half & half.

Let me tell you the most memorable cruises have been the ones were we have shared a table, much to our surprise.

We have had such lovely table mates & found coming to dinner much more of an occasion where we look forward to discussing what we have all been doing that day.

My only tip would be, if you are going to share, go for a table with at least 6 of you. I would not want to do a table for 4, just in case the other couple were not our kind of people.

Also if you are on your honeymoon I am sure the other couples would make a real fuss of you, which might be nice.

If you are on a millenniun class ship, you could always go to the speciality restaurant on some nights (let your table mates know so they are not waiting dinner for you), so it can just be the 2 of you and then you get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Lisa:)

The only bad experience we've had cruising was with a table for 2. Our waiter and assistant pretty much ignored us as they had larher tables to take care of. We ended up eating dinner almost the entire cruise at the buffet. (on a 14 day cruise.)

I've seen it many times even on our last cruise in October couples were actually seated at tables for 6 all by themselves for the entire two weeks dead center in the middle of the dining room. Ask the head Matre'D to change the table location if your not happy with it.They have always been very accomodating for us in the past.

To acquire a table for two, request it early with your TA, then immediately upon boarding go see the Dining Room Mgr., he will be set up somewhere to go over reservations that aren't correct. If you don't have the table you want, they will gladly arrange it for you then.

Marilyn

Archived