What time do you have to be off the ship?

vesw01

I have heard most people get off the ship right away and one poster talked about tipped her steward to let her sleep in. What time do the last people get off the ship. Can you hang out in your cabin until then?

Hey vsew01,

This is just my personal experience and way of doing things.

I'm sure you'll have more people weigh in the next day or so...

In my real life, I work late. I don't normally get to sleep until anywhere from 1 AM to 4 AM. So I don't wake up until anywhere from 9 AM to noon (and 9 AM is considered "BF Early" for me).

I'm especially not going to change this on a vacation!:eek:

So, when I go on a cruise, I am especially respectful and always make good friends with my cabin steward. Tips, just being nice, and I let them know up front:

Do not wake me up to clean the room. I'll remove my do not disturb sign, when I'm awake. Please just always consider me the LAST cabin that you have to deal with.

They always appreciate this, because they take care of all of their other business/cabins first, and know that they don't have to rush at all to take care of my cabin.

Then, I always make sure that they know, especially on that last day...

I am going to respect them and work together with them, so that the cabin is clean and set beforehand (I make sure that it's not all dirty and messy on that last night).

Then, I'm ready to go on debarkation morning, and have made a deal with them, DO NOT wake me up until the last possible moment, when you are done with everything else.

This has worked out great on all of my cruises.

They do all of their other work first, let me sleep in, and knock on the door (wake me up), when it's right at the end of disembarktion.

After that long story and explanation...

After a lifetime of cruises...

Earliest they woke me up to get out was 10 AM.

Latest they woke me up to get out was Noon. (There were people that had an immigration paperwork problem or something on that cruise. All the other cruisers were waiting for hours, and my cabin stewards let me sleep in, because I had already arranged it with them. They waited to get me out of the cabin, until they knew that they were finally disembarking people).:D

Always, by the time we have that understanding, I wake up, grab my carryons (carryoffs at that point), and walk out at the end of the line.

No waiting for hours in the lounges or whatever, I just walk off near the end.

Just what I do, and my experience.

I never book a flight or anything, to get back too early. I'm still on vacation at that point. And especially on that last morning!:D

Hope this helps.

CJW

I "assume" they make repeated announcements that you gotta get off the ship. Our flight isn't until 350 and we may or may not do the Everglades tour in between cruise and flight. If we don't I am not interested in hanging out at the airport for hours. Would rather sit in my room or in the resturant looking out til the last possible min... (I also board the plane last and get off the plane last.. I hate just standing in line)

They will give you a deck color tag, when they call your color you can leave the ship, if they call you color first, you do not have to leave, but you can not leave (well i guess you can try) until your color is called.

they have all the rooms cleared out and everyone wondering around the ship waiting to hear their color.

I "assume" they make repeated announcements that you gotta get off the ship. Our flight isn't until 350 and we may or may not do the Everglades tour in between cruise and flight. If we don't I am not interested in hanging out at the airport for hours. Would rather sit in my room or in the resturant looking out til the last possible min... (I also board the plane last and get off the plane last.. I hate just standing in line)

Depending on the ship, they will make announcements.

But, like I said, if you make friends and arrangements with your steward, (in my experience), the steward won't make you leave the room until the very end.

Make friends/arrangements with your steward.

Order room service.

Hang out in the cabin, lounging (or sleeping in my case), and when it's near the end, leisurely walk off with no waiting in line.

Just so you know, I always board the plane last, and get off last.

What is the point in standing in the aisle on the plane, for a long time, when as soon as the aisle is clear you can just walk off and get to baggage claim at the same time that all those people who were waiting in the aisle were?

Same thought on the cruise.

My cabin steward doesn't mind (as long as I let him/her know beforehand), and as I leisurely walk off the ship, I catch right up to all of those people who have been waiting for hours.

CJW

I agree with CJW on this one. We're usually the last ones getting on or off. I laugh inside at the people on the plane who start standing up as soon as the plane stops and then have to juggle everything around other passengers. Same thing getting off the ship. Why rush to get in line, just to be stuck in the stairwell for 30 minutes. (You are asked to refrain from using the elevators at that point. Quicker to take the stairs anyway)

Our flights leave too early to book any excursions in San Juan, so why rush to get off the ship? We've gotten up in the morning and showered, and let the room steward know we were going to breakfast. Were always told to just leave our carry-ons in the cabin. Steward knew we'd be back for them. In the meantime, they can take care of the cabins of passengers who left early, leaving ours until the end.

This works for us. I think one day I'd like to know that I was the last passenger off the ship, just because.

• 1 month later...

I liked the information here. I once had a room stewart that woke me up several times during the week to clean the room.

The latest I've gotten off was 10:30 for a 2:30 flight. A few times I've had an early flight.

We just got off the Miracle yesterday. They wanted everyone out of their cabins by 9:30 and off the ship by 11:00. They let the early flights and VIPs off first, then the self-assists. After that, it was a general announcement for everyone to leave.

Archived