MERCURY 4/7 sailing: Still cleaning

poetic license

It appears from this contact with the CDC that the 4/7 sailing of MERCURY will still be in heavy cleaning mode:

I just talked to CDC, by phone, in Alabama, about the current status of Mercury. The lady I talked to was Lisa, and she was very helpful. She told me that the current Noro levels have dropped significantly, and are below outbreak level. She told me that the bleaching will continue for the rest of this cruise, and for four or five days into the next. If the levels remain dropped , Celebrity will probably stop the bleaching process. From what she told me , Celebrity will determine when to stop the bleaching. Above all, she told me to tell everyone, to wash your hands, and use hand sanitizers. The number to call is: 1-770-488-7138.

:eek::eek::eek:

Since I am not convinced Celebrity will do the right thing and contact passengers scheduled to cruise on April 7 and give them the option of whether to sail or not, I am posting this information here, so that those cruising on 4/7 will at least be able to make a semi-informed decision about whether they want to go or not, and not be asked to make a decision at the pier (REALLY bad form).

The idea that Celebrity is not doing right by passengers deeply saddens me, since I have enjoyed all of my cruises with them, am a stockholder, and have recommended them to friends and family. That we have to alert others on our own through our own due dilligence is troubling. Please consider calling the CDC yourself if you are on this cruise before you leave home so that your to-cruise-or-not-to-cruise decision is based on current information and fact, as well as the needs dictated by the state of your health and welfare.

Cheers~

Nicki

Nikki - Thanks for posting this. I love Celebrity & have always been one of their biggest boosters, but their failure to keep their passengers notified of what is going on really saddens me. I feel bad for all those cruisers who don't know about cruise critic & have no idea what they may be facing on the cruise next week.

Terri

It appears from this contact with the CDC that the 4/7 sailing of MERCURY will still be in heavy cleaning mode:

:eek::eek::eek:

Since I am not convinced Celebrity will do the right thing and contact passengers scheduled to cruise on April 7 and give them the option of whether to sail or not, I am posting this information here, so that those cruising on 4/7 will at least be able to make a semi-informed decision about whether they want to go or not, and not be asked to make a decision at the pier (REALLY bad form).

The idea that Celebrity is not doing right by passengers deeply saddens me, since I have enjoyed all of my cruises with them, am a stockholder, and have recommended them to friends and family. That we have to alert others on our own through our own due dilligence is troubling. Please consider calling the CDC yourself if you are on this cruise before you leave home so that your to-cruise-or-not-to-cruise decision is based on current information and fact, as well as the needs dictated by the state of your health and welfare.

Cheers~

Nicki

Thanks for your kind words. As someone who will be on the next sailing, I really appreciate those who won't be actually caring about our circumstance. :) Unfortunately, Celebrity has informed my TA & many others that we won't be given any options. We will either have to go on the cruise, or lose our money.

Thanks for your kind words. As someone who will be on the next sailing, I really appreciate those who won't be actually caring about our circumstance. :) Unfortunately, Celebrity has informed my TA & many others that we won't be given any options. We will either have to go on the cruise, or lose our money.

There is something that all of us can do:

VERY troubling and disturbing. I am going to contact my own TA and ask her to write to Celebrity on behalf of passengers affected and insist that they change apparent policy on this, and I am not even directly affected in any way.

Celebrity cannot afford to lose the recommmendations of hundreds of travel agents. Very often, their recommendations to customers affect the decision a customer makes on which line to choose. Celebrity needs to know in a big way and a large scale that TAs cannot comfortably recommend them as a cruiseline if they operate in this manner.

Please, please contact Celebrity directly, and even more importantly, call your agent back and ask her to go to bat for you. You should be able to transfer the booking, at the very least.

As consumers, we also have an obligation to let any cruiseline know when their policies are morally unacceptable. Please write to the President and CEO about this immediately. Here's who to contact:

Richard D. Fain

Chairman and CEO

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Daniel J. Hanrahan

President

Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Cheers~

Nicki