Proper tipping etiquette?

vesw01

Ok how much do you tip the steward on the first day (if you do at all) to get special attention and how much do you slip them? Also, I am not good with this kind of tipping at all - what is the proper way to give it to them *the old handshake, an envelope or just leave it on the desk with a note??

Ok how much do you tip the steward on the first day (if you do at all) to get special attention and how much do you slip them? Also, I am not good with this kind of tipping at all - what is the proper way to give it to them *the old handshake, an envelope or just leave it on the desk with a note??

We have never given our room steward anything at the beginning of our cruises, and have always had great service. We do make sure to introduce ourselves ASAP and get to know our stewards' names so that we can address them properly throughout the week.

Any way you feel comfortable tipping is appropriate.

Hey,

we have been on many cruises and have never tipped the first day! We do the prepaid gratuties on the sign and sail and we give additional to who we feel deserve it.

Our steward on the Destiny last month actually put a new mattress in our room because not all the mattresses have been changed and ours was absolutely terrible, sagging and hard. So we gave him money.

The last day we just handed it to him, but if you are shy they have envelopes by the pursers desk and then you just hand them the envelope.

If you don't like the amount on your sign and sail card you can adjust it up or down or remove it all together and hand out the tips to who you feel deserve it. Don't feel shy about the tips!

Sue

We have never felt the need to tip the room stewerd the first day...although we have tipped/bribed the asst waiter a little at the first dinner to keep those yummy dinner rolls flowing. I only like the one kind and he/she will keep us in them all week.

BF gave steward $20.00 on the first day because he asked him to see that the ice chest had ice in it. It wasn't a bribe. It was a payment for the extra service. He just handed it to him when he asked if he would do that for us.

We used to tip (usually $20) at the beginning of the cruise, but not anymore. We've found that by tipping smaller amounts during the cruise gives us great service and, hopefully, is an incentive for our steward to go the extra mile. I've left a request for extra ice with $2 on a post it note. I tipped our stewardess $5 and asked if she could surprise my wife by making a towel animal out of one of her nightgowns. I even tipped a steward to help me put mylar police tape "Do Not Cross" tape across a friends door. We usually end up tipping about $20 through the cruise. I believe in "taking care of the people who take care of us." Besides, if I didn't tip I'd probably just blow the money on liquor.

Archived