Will small kids need a passport in '07

DC_texas

I hear you about the expense and the relatively short amount of time. DS is 7 and on his 2nd already!

At the same time, I feel more comfortable traveling with them with passports in hand. You never know, and you have so much more flexability when they have a passport.

I hate to shell out $200 for something that will only last 5 years.

I had to pay for the 5 year passport for my daughter in December because she was 15 at the time of the application but she was 16 when she received it. I wish they would have let her get the 10 year one for 16 and up but they wouldn't and we needed it.

I had to pay for the 5 year passport for my daughter in December because she was 15 at the time of the application but she was 16 when she received it. I wish they would have let her get the 10 year one for 16 and up but they wouldn't and we needed it.

Thats very strange. I reccived my passport a few moths ago and it is good until I am twenty one (six years away). So I wonder why hers is not good for six years like mine?

Not only are they required for every man, woman, girl, boy, toddler, infant, they now contain RFID (radio frequency identification) tags. Not only does Uncle Sam want us identified, they want to be able to track us, too! LOL

Sounds like they want to track the PASSPORT, not you... nice if it's stolen, but doesn't do you much good or harm either.

The thing about babies needing them kills me.. imagine if you're taking brand-new babe to see grandpa and grandma who live abroad, and that's the photo your five-year-old has to travel with! Used to be you could put small children on their parents' passports, on the theory that most kids would be traveling only with their parents till they got older.

The thing about babies needing them kills me.. imagine if you're taking brand-new babe to see grandpa and grandma who live abroad, and that's the photo your five-year-old has to travel with! Used to be you could put small children on their parents' passports, on the theory that most kids would be traveling only with their parents till they got older.

Agreed. And in theory, someone could steal that baby's passport and use it to get another child out of the country. Very few children look like their baby picture!

And even if your now 5 year old is using his/her own passport, that they got when they were a baby, how can they REALLY tell that it's the right kid?

Not only are they required for every man, woman, girl, boy, toddler, infant, they now contain RFID (radio frequency identification) tags. Not only does Uncle Sam want us identified, they want to be able to track us, too! LOL
I guess an RFID implanted under your skin is better than getting a UBC tattooed on an arm.

Back OT, both of my kids are on their second passport. They always look forward to getting them stamped when we travel out of the country. Too bad it isn't easier to get passports stamped while on a cruise.

Archived