Rent a car at Freeport?

bizi

Not many people talked about this: is it a good idea to rent a car for a day at Freeport? Ship will be docked for the day, and want to see a few places (e.g. Lucayan National Park, shopping at international bazzaar etc.).

Is it safe to drive there?

I wouldn't. You know they drive on the left side of the road. Steering wheel is placed as such. Unless YOU are really confident in your driving skills. And REMEMBER your NOT in the US....If you get in an accident you could be up a creek without a paddle.

I know someone who got in a wreck on his honeymoon and someone was killed in the wreck. His dad in law flew their, (Jamicia) and bailed him out, then threw his butt on a plane and got him back to the US. I don't know WHY...Fear of something!

Thanks. I've been to Nassau once, and know the road condition isn't good, but didn't realize that they use UK rules (driving on the left). Oh well, that's probably not a good idea for US people then.

I've read elsewhere on here that there is one rental car company at the port. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's one of the majors or a local company.

As for driving on Grand Bahama Island, I've never done it personally. And as stated, they do drive on the left. But I can tell you that Grand Bahama is nothing like Nassau. Nassau is a crowded city. Grand Bahama is a long island with relatively few people, no "city" to speak of and overall not a lot of traffic. The port is way out, there are a few traffic roundabouts and few congested areas. I would say that if there was a place to practice driving on the left, this would be the place. Also, while most of the cars in Nassau have the steering wheel on the right, for some reason most of the cars on Grand Bahama have left handed steering wheels just like our cars. It's just that you drive them on the left too. I'm told this is because cars on New Providence Island/Nassau come from the UK and Japan while most cars on Grand Bahama were imported over on the ferry from Florida and are U.S. market cars.

Your U.S. auto insurance is only good in the United States and Canada. Anywhere else you need local insurance. Renting in the Bahamas should include liability insurance in the price and collision damage waiver is extra for your responsibility for the car itself. Many gold and platinum credit cards will cover damage to the rental car free if you use their card for the entire rental transaction and not purchase the CDW. Check with your credit card company to see if this is part of your card.

BobK/Orlando

We did it 2 years ago. It was fine. There was a rental place where the ship docks. We enjoyed it. It just takes a few minutes to adjust to the "wrong side of the road". It was a much better car than those I have previously rented in Cozumel and St. Marteen.

Archived