Shorts in dining room

FcapAcap

Didn't plan on bringing many pairs of pants on cruise are shorts ok for the dining room?

( I'm ducking from the fallout from this question! lol )

Hey...at least you didnt ask about jeans! lol

No, shorts are not allowed in the dining room.

Per Carnival's website:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gif

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

On the first evening on board, you may see some as people haven't received their luggage yet, but after that they're taboo.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Didn't plan on bringing many pairs of pants on cruise are shorts ok for the dining room?

Breakfast and lunch yes...dinner....NO

We continue to see the same questions for three main reasons.

1. People new to cruising don't know where to look for the answers to their questions because cruising is new to them and they are very excited. :)

2. People don't really read the fine print. :rolleyes:

3. People keep hoping the rules will change.:eek:

NO. It states that you are NOT supposed to wear shorts to the dining room. The dining rooms have signs outside the door that say "Proper Attire Required" In the Capers it tells you what the dining attire is, no shorts/tank tops...I could get you specific wording later if you need. Capers are still packed - just got home and haven't unpacked yet.

HOWEVER...there are still those handfuls of people that feel that rules don't apply to them. I saw Shorts, Jean shorts/skirts, Jeans, (Good god I said the word...we don't need to beat that dead horse again - do a search for jeans if you need more info on that topic....) tank tops, flip-flops, and other various clothing combinations that weren't appropriate to wear in to a McD's, all in the dining room. It was these people that stood out and "didn't fit in" with the entire "feel of the dining room". Obviously our Maitre D' wasn't enforcing anything...Too bad. You will see that more people than not, do dress appropriately and nicely than those that don't.

Just bring one or two pair of black pants/khakis that match all your shirts - wear them for those couple of hours at dinner. No biggie. Change after dinner. Otherwise, there is food available everywhere else if you prefer not to dress "up".

Our first night on the Liberty, the Maitre'd addressed the dress code explaining the pants only in the evenings, but that if we wanted to wear shorts to breakfast or lunch we were welcome!

And I did!

I've never seen shorts in the dining room at dinner! If they do let you in you will feel like a tool!

I only said lunch and dinner... per our Matre'd. Before you label people "tools", on our December cruise, there was a family that lost all their luggage. It took them several days before they were not wearing shorts! They were welcomed into the dining room for DINNER, it was not their fault, and they should not be punished for others mistakes, so I would suggest when you do see someone "improperly" dressed in the dining room, they may be happy and grateful to be there and with the Maitre'd having blessed it as this family experienced.

The real tools were the people that were not aware of their story and judged them as slobs...

I can believe that this question keeps popping up. What I can't believe is that people continue to post the wrong answers, especially when they are the ones posting a quote from Carnival's website that contradicts their statement! Too funny.

Capcorn28,

I agree this issue will never die! It's because some people just won't let it go! I have never read or seen posted that jeans or jean skirts are prohibited in the dining room. They say shorts, tank tops, bathing suits are prohibited. Jeans, when worn with nice shirts or trendy tops and heels is a trendy dressy look. All the upscale clubs in Vegas allows that look. You guys need to check out the newest fashions and let it go! The whole idea of a nice cruise vacation is to relax and have fun!

During our cruise on the Valor last December there was at least one instance that I know of some people being turned away from the dining room for improper attire. A father and his young son showed up in shorts and t-shirts and were politely but firmly reminded of the rule and were not allowed in (a couple of my family members were standing nearby and witnessed this). To his credit, the dad apparently did NOT lose his cool and was heard telling his son as they walked away that they would need to go change clothes or eat someplace else, that that was the rule. Kid learned two lessons that day :rolleyes: .

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

I can believe that this question keeps popping up. What I can't believe is that people continue to post the wrong answers, especially when they are the ones posting a quote from Carnival's website that contradicts their statement! Too funny.

spanpris,

I posted a quote from Carnival's website.

I don't see where I contradicted myself in my statement. Care to enlighten me?

I have never read or seen posted that jeans or jean skirts are prohibited in the dining room. They say shorts, tank tops, bathing suits are prohibited. Jeans, when worn with nice shirts or trendy tops and heels is a trendy dressy look. All the upscale clubs in Vegas allows that look. You guys need to check out the newest fashions and let it go! The whole idea of a nice cruise vacation is to relax and have fun!
Ok, no fashion police/trendy-style lessons needed here. And we're talking about cruising on a particular line, not Vegas. These dining rooms aren't LA bistros or Miami clubs or the NY Theatre either...There are places that people are "expected" to dress according to that particular places "rules" - it is up to the establishment to enforce them. Our Maitre D didn't...but I have seen it done on other ships and at various "Nice/expensive/trendy...and average" restaurants and clubs around this country. People do get turned away when they are not dressed appropriately. Didn't happen to see it this time.

I frankly don't care what people wear to the dining room, wear a bathrobe and curlers if you want - but these particular people did NOT look nice. They DID not wear jeans with "nice shirts or trendy tops and heels"...these particular people were wearing ripped and fraying style jeans/skirts and tanks that shouldn't be worn anywhere beyond the beach. Flip-flops...And they did this night after night...and if they had lost their luggage, they had plenty of 'frayed' clothing that didn't get lost, to choose from!

Is this to say that everyone that can't scrape up $19.99 for a pair of khakis to wear for a couple of hours for the days of the cruise, looks bad? No, of course not. But, the ones that look like they picked out the first pc of clothing off the floor, give a bad name to the people that follow rules of looking nice and following etiquette.

Good grief, if I can get a 12 year old boy to dress up like a decent young man during the course of the cruise...I think adult men/women can handle it. We had a LOT of fun too. I don't know why FUN and Dressing NICELY have correlation. Or why that is always the excuse....I was 100% relaxed and had more fun in our week than I can even relay!! I can have fun in a bathing suit, shorts/T's, sundresses, work uniforms or a spangly formal. My clothing does not dictate if I can have fun or relax.

Wow! Did I hit a nerve? I seriously don't believe it does not bother you, after reading THAT LAST post! Lighten up!

And for FcapAcap - No shorts in dining room, just dress casual (if it means wearing jeans) It's your cruise, you paid for it! Don't worry and have fun!!

I truly think the majority don't really care.

I had a thought a while back reading one of the many posts on this subject. Don't most ships have 2 dinning rooms ? Why can't they designat one as casual for those that don't care to dress up and let them wear what ever they like, the other one could be formal for those who prefer to dress fo dinner. You could request whitch ever one you want just like late or early seating. Will what someone else is wearing ruin my cruise, not a chance, but when I show up for formal night wearing my tux and the rest of my table mates are wearing whatever it sure ruins my formal dinning experience.

spanpris,

I posted a quote from Carnival's website.

I don't see where I contradicted myself in my statement. Care to enlighten me?

Paul, I think where the assumed contradition was your statement of "No, shorts are not allowed in the dining room." and the Policy you posted that states: "NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. "

So if you read the policy note, you can induce that Shorts and T-shirts ARE allowed in the dining room for breakfast and lunch - and they are.

So the blanket statement of no, shorts are not allowed, per Carnival, only applies to dinner, and is incorrect without the qualification. I have only been on three cruises DW has seven, and she, we have always worn shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, along with many, many others!

So that is my explanation of the contradition, but the poster who called you on it would need to explain if I was not thinking the same thing!:eek:

Archived