Shorts in dining room

FcapAcap

Capcorn28,

I agree this issue will never die! It's because some people just won't let it go! I have never read or seen posted that jeans or jean skirts are prohibited in the dining room. They say shorts, tank tops, bathing suits are prohibited. Jeans, when worn with nice shirts or trendy tops and heels is a trendy dressy look. All the upscale clubs in Vegas allows that look. You guys need to check out the newest fashions and let it go! The whole idea of a nice cruise vacation is to relax and have fun!

Nobody brought up jeans until you, this is a thread about shorts.

yet another RULE!

Not rule, fact. This thread is about shorts. If you feel like debating jeans, just go to the search option in the tool bar at the top of the page and type in "jeans". You will find more than enough threads on the topic.

During our cruise on the Valor last December there was at least one instance that I know of some people being turned away from the dining room for improper attire. A father and his young son showed up in shorts and t-shirts and were politely but firmly reminded of the rule and were not allowed in (a couple of my family members were standing nearby and witnessed this). To his credit, the dad apparently did NOT lose his cool and was heard telling his son as they walked away that they would need to go change clothes or eat someplace else, that that was the rule. Kid learned two lessons that day :rolleyes: .

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Wow - I am VERY impressed! A parent who sounds like my parents & takes responsibility for his actions & errors, instead of throwing a fit & insisting that they "paid enough for this cruise to eat in whatever they chose to wear"!

Kudos to that dad (& the rest of you out there who are like him)!

Sha

I had a thought a while back reading one of the many posts on this subject. Don't most ships have 2 dinning rooms ? Why can't they designat one as casual for those that don't care to dress up and let them wear what ever they like, the other one could be formal for those who prefer to dress fo dinner. You could request whitch ever one you want just like late or early seating. Will what someone else is wearing ruin my cruise, not a chance, but when I show up for formal night wearing my tux and the rest of my table mates are wearing whatever it sure ruins my formal dinning experience.

NorseFarmer - Not counting the supper club (which, I believe always requires formal attire, even on "non-formal" nights) on Carnival ships that have two dining rooms, both follow the same rules of dress. (It would be a nightmare of scheduling if more people wanted less formal vs more formal - or vice versa - than space in each dining room allowed.) If people don't want to "dress", & they want to wear something else, they can eat at the Lido buffet, or the 24hr pizza, or even get room service, etc. There are also other cruise lines that allow "anytime" dining in different style "restaurants" throughout the ship, which possibly also have different rules of dress in each area.

I guess I just don't see why people can't just throw on a pr of khakis or slacks & a nice top for dinner & be done with it. :confused: As long as you don't spill food on your pants every night, you can wear the same pr several times, esp if you only wear them for the couple of hrs at dinner! And everything is so air-conditioned indoors, if you wear shorts, you'll probably freeze! :p Even if given the option, I wouldn't wear shorts in the dining room! Tan or no tan, I also wear stockings with my dresses because of the chill! My sisters & BIL aren't "fancy dressers", but they "spiffed up" nice for dinner. My BIL stretched the formal night attire to include a new dark sports coat & matching dark NEW t-shirt & did NOT take off the sports coat during dinner. My sisters wore black dress slacks & "spangly" tops (they hate dresses).

There is no need (as other posters have observed) for people to wear the dregs of their closet to dinner, shorts or not. (I always pack my newest clothes!)

To the OP - you can still dress comfortably for dinner without wearing shorts. :D If you must wear shorts to dinner, resign yourself to eating somewhere other than the dining room for dinner. I think you'll find the dining room experience worth the little extra effort it takes to dress for dinner! We do!

Sha

Unreal. I don't even so much as look at this board in three months. I come back here and it looks like the same day I last visited Same old posts, same old, same old. Do the moderators do ANYTHING here or, is it that without posts like clothes in the dining room and smuggling on booze, there'd be no activity? ;) :rolleyes:

NO short in the dining during dinner!

Except on the first night, but only if you haven't received your luggage yet.

i before e, except after c, execept for those times when the e does come before the i, and there isn't a c anywhere in the word.:D

Unreal. I don't even so much as look at this board in three months. I come back here and it looks like the same day I last visited Same old posts, same old, same old. Do the moderators do ANYTHING here or, is it that without posts like clothes in the dining room and smuggling on booze, there'd be no activity? ;) :rolleyes:

If there weren't active discussions on appropriate dining room attire or the proper procedure for getting booze onboard there would be discussions concerning swimmies in the pool, smoking, stiffing the stewards, the funnel deck or several threads about CCLs annual one day sale that happens at least once a month. How is that same old same old?

If there weren't active discussions on appropriate dining room attire or the proper procedure for getting booze onboard there would be discussions concerning swimmies in the pool, smoking, stiffing the stewards, the funnel deck or several threads about CCLs annual one day sale that happens at least once a month. How is that same old same old?

To wit.

Ok, no fashion police/trendy-style lessons needed here. And we're talking about cruising on a particular line, not Vegas. These dining rooms aren't LA bistros or Miami clubs or the NY Theatre either...There are places that people are "expected" to dress according to that particular places "rules" - it is up to the establishment to enforce them. Our Maitre D didn't...but I have seen it done on other ships and at various "Nice/expensive/trendy...and average" restaurants and clubs around this country. People do get turned away when they are not dressed appropriately. Didn't happen to see it this time.

I frankly don't care what people wear to the dining room, wear a bathrobe and curlers if you want - but these particular people did NOT look nice. They DID not wear jeans with "nice shirts or trendy tops and heels"...these particular people were wearing ripped and fraying style jeans/skirts and tanks that shouldn't be worn anywhere beyond the beach. Flip-flops...And they did this night after night...and if they had lost their luggage, they had plenty of 'frayed' clothing that didn't get lost, to choose from!

Is this to say that everyone that can't scrape up $19.99 for a pair of khakis to wear for a couple of hours for the days of the cruise, looks bad? No, of course not. But, the ones that look like they picked out the first pc of clothing off the floor, give a bad name to the people that follow rules of looking nice and following etiquette.

Good grief, if I can get a 12 year old boy to dress up like a decent young man during the course of the cruise...I think adult men/women can handle it. We had a LOT of fun too. I don't know why FUN and Dressing NICELY have correlation. Or why that is always the excuse....I was 100% relaxed and had more fun in our week than I can even relay!! I can have fun in a bathing suit, shorts/T's, sundresses, work uniforms or a spangly formal. My clothing does not dictate if I can have fun or relax.

Well put!

Wow I never thought my question would stir everyone up like this. I understand the reasoning behind no shorts in the dinning room. But why no jeans? I'm a young 27 year old male and when i go out to fancy clubs, bars, resturants i always wear jeans. Jeans with a button down shirt, jeans with a polo shirt. I've worn this to Mortons, Delmonicos, NOBU, Many fine resturants. For my generation a pair of nice jeans with a nice shirt is Dress up. And we can look like a million bucks in jeans if its done the right way. I've packed a suit and a shirt and tie for the Captains night. I think thats nice and will be fun. But for the rest on the days i want to relax- I'm on Vacation- So i will be wearing jeans and eating in the dinning room (I will tip big for this pleasure if i have to).

FcapAcap,

Go for it! We all wear jeans in the dining room for casual nites. Dressed up with nice shirts & tops! I bet you will look hotter than most of the other ones in slacks!!! I guess we are just a different generation. Don't let it bother you! Have fun!!!

So i will be wearing jeans and eating in the dinning room (I will tip big for this pleasure if i have to).

Really I won't even notice if you do, but just for fun, type in "jeans dinner" into the search function - make sure you block time for reading:p

I personally could care less what people wear in the DR! I'm not calling people tools for wearing shorts, I was simply saying you will feel out of place in the DR at dinner if you are not properly dressed!

I understand that there are circumstances (lost luggage) when people are forced to wear improper clothing. I'm not talking about that! The original poster had no intention of bringing nice clothes, different story all together!

Archived