Infinity and beyond

stu042

We are a party of 8 'Brits', from Manchester, going to Alaska on 20th May on Infinity and would appreciate any info. from people who have previously sailed to Alaska as to what to expect in relation on what clothes to bring for the weather, as you can imagine it's a long way to haul unnecessary heavy clothes.

We intend to go whale watching in some port but, as yet we haven't booked as we don't know which is the best place to see whales, any ideas?

stu042:

Try this for some packing info: http://www.***************/cool_packing.htm. Also, if you go to the Alaska section of the message boards and search "packing" "or clothing" there is a ton of information.

As far as whale watching, Juneau seems to be the most popular. There is a thread on the Alaska section titled "Alaska Whale Watching or Orca Enterprises" with some interesting information.

Hi Brits

We are also from the NorthWest (Warrington) and I work in Manchester, so I know what you are going through and can perhaps give you a little perspective. We went last September (end of season - the last week to be precise) and I bought thermals and a North Face Coat shell, Fleeces etc. In truth, I overpacked and overprepared, but that's because I'm always cold.

My advice would be get a good waterproof outer layer (like they sell in Blacks etc) with a fleece that zips in and out of it. The theme seems to be expect more rain than cold but, hey, you should be used to that living here! It was nowhere near as cold as I was anticipating. In fact, the temperatures were pretty much what we had here, except the day we did the helicopter glacier trip, then I wore an extra layer underneath, but didn't really need it. I insisted my other half got all the gear also including gloves, scarf, hat etc. He didn't even wear them!

You are going earlier in the season so I would expect would have better weather. Temps on the ship are fine as its all air conditioned so it's only days out you need to worry about.

The helicopter trip we did in Juneau, and combined it with whale watching and I would recommend this trip to anyone. It was cheaper than the ship's version and we combined both in one trip without having to worry about transport between the two.

Check out the Alaska thread as everyone raves about Captain Larry and I would agree and wouldn't have missed this trip for the world.

Hope that helps - Ali

Be sure to bring warm clothes, particularly if you are the type of person that will stand out on deck for long periods of time admiring the scenery. When we cruised in Alaska it was freezing out on deck and most people were wearing heavy coats, hats, gloves, etc. There were some people that packed only light clothes because they thoght that was all they would need in the summer. You could see these people dejectedly looking at the scenery through a window from inside because they lacked adequate clothing to be out on deck. Keep in mind that if you are out on deck and the ship is moving the headwinds will make it seem even colder.

Archived