Lahaina Cheeseburger In Paradise

Jamie.RN

I was just looking at Jimmy Buffet's Cheesburger in Paradise website and I don't see a location a Lahaina, Maui. Is this restaurant that some people have posted about, the authentic Jimmy Buffet restaurant or a knock-off?

Also, are there any nice beaches right near the pier in Lahaina?

I just ate there two weeks ago. I don't see them changing the name. They have been there operating under that name forever. The burgers are excellent. Very large. Also, the basket of fries are best split between 2 people.

No beaches in Lahaina, but if you go ten minute more north to Kaanapali, you can park at Whalers Village and go out onto Kaanapali beach. Lot of shops and restaurants there too.

Sorry, brah, but you got da kine mis-info-mashun.

"Cheesburger in Paradise," the restaurant in Lahaina, was started several years ago by three gals from Orange County, California, who also own other restaurants in the OC. Jimmy Buffet knew of their operation and that they were using the name of his song, but as long as they were not abusing the privledge, so to speak, he was down with that. However, the glas decided to open another "Cheesburger" on the mainland, and at that point Buffet stepped in. After some discussion, the idea for another Cheesburger was scotched (or at least the name was) and he agreed to let them keep using the name. This is all based on newspaper stories, so if any of you work for the restaurant, or are Jimmy Buffet, feel free to correct me.

As of March 2 when we were in Lahaina on QM2 (we also live around there part time), Cheesburger was still operating as that (Cheesburger).

About no nice beaches near the pier-

Actually, there is a small, sandy beach about 1000 feet or so from the pier. Go to the right when you leave the tender area, past the old courthouse, the fallen down fort, and then King Kamehameha III school (I think you'll have to use the sidewalk on Front Street as you are not supposed to cross the schoolyard). There's a small park there where they build Hawaiian canoes, and the beach. Because it's behind a reef, there's no surf to speak of, although they do teach surfing. But it's sandy and if there are no trades blowing, hot. If you want to eat in a nice, beachside place, in the little shopping center, which looks like a New England village (it's called 505 Front Street) there's a placed called Pacific O. It's run by a Frenchman and French Canadian, and is nice for lunch.

Granted, if you want a real, postcard beach, Kaanapali, which is four miles north or west (the island runs kinda at an angle), is the place to go. It's where the Hyatt, Marriott, Westin, Kaanapali Beach Hotel, and Sheraton are. Several good eateries there, including Leilani's and Hula Grill, which are right on the beach.

If you're hearty, you could walk to Kaanapali from the ship (I've jogged it many times), but taking the bus or shuttle (sorry, you'll have to ask where to catch it), is easier. You can cab it, but it'll cost you about $15 or so one way.

joeinsb: Mahalo for putting our fears at ease. The burgers are fine, but we go for the views and the atmosphere.

IMO, the beach just south of the pier/marina area is not what most people are looking for in a "nice" beach. It's a great walk, but is narrow, has no facilities, isn't very good for swimming, is right by the boats (thus, the water isn't the best), and fronts private homes (which are interesting to walk by as they are all so different), as well as fronting Lahaina Shores and the 505 Front St. complex. I honestly don't think it's the kind of beach most people are asking about for hanging out and "beaching," especially for Hawaii. And once you are on the beach, you have to walk quite a ways to find public access/exit paths. But as I said, this is JMHO.

Ka'anapali is probably the closest "nice" beach for what people tend to envision. I wouldn't recommend that cruise pax walk/jog it though. With limited time, who wants to walk along a busy road in the heat and dust? The shuttle is probably easiest, while a taxi would be a reasonable alternative, but a rental car is the best because you could drive further north to Napili, Kapalua (love this beach), Airport Beach (what is the actual name? I can never remember), and even go to Honolua Marine Preserve (not a beach, but great snorkeling).

I agree about Pacific'O. Lovely and good food.

beachchick

Ah, Spleen, as usual you've come up with the information that my feeble brain has lost. I think that Kahekili is correct. You're right though, I can't recall hearing it referred to by it's "correct" name, just Airport Beach.

beachchick

We have spent 3 months on Maui in the last 6 years, and have been to cheeseburgers in Paradise many times. It is clear that Jimmy Buffet has no objection to Cheeseburgers in Paradise at Lahaina. The food and Mai Tais are excellent or better, and the entertainment is great. If Buffet had on objection, it would have been sued out of existence years ago. (I'm a lawyer and I know the system; my feeling is that Buffet is getting a cut of the action from Lahaina). I've been to several Jimmy Buffet places in the Caribbean, and the Maui location is the equal of any of them, and the food is better.

As for beaches, I don't know what you mean by "near the pier." ships don't dock at Lahaina, you tender in, but there are several world class beaches within a few miles of Lahaina, (either direction) and the beach for babies is very nearby. Q: Why would anyone with just a few hours in Maui come to lay on a beach? There is so much to do!!

Beachick, you are right. The Lahaina beach is't much, as my wife told me after I mentioned what I wrote in my post (Actually, what she said is, "What, braddah, you lolo?!). So go to Kaanapali.

The beach formerly Know as Airport (until they tore it out and started building Westin's new time share suites and Kahekili Park) is generally referred to as North Beach, although that is not its proper name. The hotels that are based there (Embassy Suites, etc) like to call it Kaanapali, which I guess it could be, since it is separated from the real K-Beach by Black Rock (Kekaa). I agree, it is nice, and I don't day that only because that's where we hang out. By the way, our favorite spot there, and some times ever, is Castaway, next to the Royal Lahaina and in front of Kaanapali Villas condos. It's great for sunsets and tuesday is two-for-one Italian food night. A great wine list, thanks to owner Gary.

Richstacy (is that right?), I know there's no pier in Lahaina, but how else to describe where the tenders drop you off. Anyway, it's right in front of the courthouse. I would say, "So sue me," (for being wrong), but since you already told us what you do, I think I'll just say, "Have a nice day.":)

Again, thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I do realize we will have to take a tender to Lahaina. Where-ever the tender drops us off at is what I am calling the "pier." And what I mean by "near the pier" is within walking distance or a short (<15min.) shuttle or car ride.

I don't live close to the coast at all, so spending time on the beach is a treat for me. I have shore excursions planned on 3 of our 5 stops, and Maui is not included in those three, thus my wanting to find a great spot to have lunch and a relax on a beautiful beach. Looks like I'll be heading up to Ka'anapali or Old Airport. :)

Archived