Captain's Party

labtech

Everyone goes, dancing, free drinks, hors'dorves (sp?) all before your scheduled dinner time , and all dressed up!!! go and enjoy!!

Tina

Lots of fun. Definitely go!!

Lab, the Captain's Party is for every passenger. It's held on formal night, which is usually the second night on board. Nice party with comp cocktails and hors d'oeuvres passed around on trays. The captain will be shaking hands at the door, and will be on stage to introduce his officers and staff. The ship's orchestra plays, some dance. It's a nice way to start off your formal evening.:)

Everyone is invited to the Captains cocktail party.

It is usually held on the 1st formal night, and usually in the show lounge.

No invitation required. (Check your Capers for the specific time & location for your particular sailing)

The captain will meet & shake hands with each person as they enter the lounge. (ships photographers will be in place to take photos of the hand-shaking)

This event is usually well attended, so it's better to arrive "sooner" than "later" if you want a good seat.

At the specified time, (once everyone is seated) cocktail waitresses will come around to offer complimentary cocktails, and horsD' veurs. (this will also continue throughout the Captains presentation)

Soon the Captain will come on stage to welcome everyone aboard. He'll give you some somewhat useful information about the ship, and Then he'll introduce his staff 1 by 1 as they come out on the stage to join him.(it's nice to know who these people are throughout your cruise, so pay very close attention!) (just kidding;-)

The ships orchrestra will play at the end of the presentation, and many couples will come on stage to dance.

That's about it. Before you know it, it'll be time to go to dinner.

It's a nice party. Enjoy!

Annie

quote=Island Annie]

The captain will meet & shake hands with each person as they enter the lounge. (ships photographers will be in place to take photos of the hand-shaking)

There was a thread about that yesterday. It's rare that the photographers do this any longer. Possibly on some ships, but not on most.

At the specified time, (once everyone is seated) cocktail waitresses will come around to offer complimentary cocktails, and horsD' veurs.

They don't wait for everybody to be seated. As soon as guests begin arriving, they are offered cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.;)

We didn't go to the captain's party, so not everyone goes. I still don't understand the attraction. I was married to a ship's captain for 23 years, so waiting in line to shake one's hand is not a something that I would do.

It amazes me that a man who puts some filligree on the shoulders of a wite uniform suddenly becomes a celebrity. I wish someone would explain it to me.

If it's the free booze, I can understand that.

Question. My wife and I don't drink. Do they offer free soda at the Captain's party?

Yes, you can have soft drinks or juice. Just ask the server. Better yet, to get faster service, just walk up to the bar set up in the lounge and they'll be happy to give you whatever you want - no charge.:)

It amazes me that a man who puts some filligree on the shoulders of a wite uniform suddenly becomes a celebrity. I wish someone would explain it to me.

Kitty! :eek: I'm really surprised at your cynicism, because you're always so sweet. (There must be more to the story?)

OK, I'll try to explain it to you, since you asked.:)

I think MOST folks are excited to meet the captain of the ship; I suppose because he's the 'man in charge', the "master of the vessel' - and yes, serving in the capacity of captain does give him a sense of 'celebrity' of sorts.

I personally couldn't care less if I meet yet another captain, but I do think it's a nice gesture for him to stand there for SO long and shake hands with his 'guests'. I think it's a measure of goodwill on the cruiseline's part, and I'm sure most cruisers appreciate that they offer this little amenity.

Hey, I go to the Captain's Party because it's a festive time and I do love the comp cocktails and hors d'oeuvres!:)

Cotton,

I didn't mean to sound cynical. I suppose that it has to do with the end of the 23 year "relationship." Perhaps thoughts of the man bring out the worst in me. Sorry!!!

I can understand the festive feeling. So, if that's the reason, have a great time. I just don't get the feeling of celebrity for the captain. Again, that probably goes back to the relationship already mentioned. Perhaps, it is transference. I'll have to watch that and not assume that every "master" of a ship is a *&!)&%%@ !

Again, sorry to come across as negative.

We didn't go to the captain's party, so not everyone goes. I still don't understand the attraction. I was married to a ship's captain for 23 years, so waiting in line to shake one's hand is not a something that I would do.

If it's the free booze, I can understand that.

It's the free booze!

No offense, but I could care less who the captain is, unless he's drunk and driving the boat. I don't even stand in line to shake his hand, I use the other entrance and skip straight to the free drinks! Classy huh!

Cotton,

I didn't mean to sound cynical. I suppose that it has to do with the end of the 23 year "relationship." Perhaps thoughts of the man bring out the worst in me. Sorry!!!

:) See, even through cyberspace, I could feel your vibes toward the ex. It just didn't sound like the usual "Kittybork"! No need to apologize though. We ALL have our moments.:D

Cotton,

:) See, even through cyberspace, I could feel your vibes toward the ex. It just didn't sound like the usual "Kittybork"! No need to apologize though. We ALL have our moments.:D

Thanks for understanding. If my post is indicative of how my feelings come across, I must definitley watch my speech. I probably sound like a baritone when I mention his name.

Everyone may not go, but everyone is welcome to attend. I don't recall ever waiting in line to shake the captain's hand on Carnival, only on Royal Caribbean. I guess we've alway gone in the "wrong" door -- most likely on purpose. The sooner you get in the door, the faster you get free drinks. ;)

I pretty much go to the festivities. But I sure would like to know who's hands I'm placing my wife's and my life in. The captain is totally responsible for that ship and all the people on board. That is a tremendous responsibility and one that needs to be admired.

Who goes to this and what happens there? Thanks!! Sailing on the Imagination 4-15!!!!!!!! YEA!!!!!!

This is the one party we always miss because its held during Formal night and we are still getting ready for dinner which is usually around 5:45pm. The Party starts around 5pm I think. We also use this time while everyone is at the party to take the Formal Pictures. Also after your 3rd one it starts to get old, the one I never miss, is the Past Guest Party because there you get info on future cruises.

To the OP - Looking at a copy of the Capers:

Captain's Cocktail Party

Captain Giuseppe Giusa cordially invites all guests to his

Formal Cocktail Party

Early seating guests 5:00-6:00 P.M.

Late seating guests 7:15-8:15 P.M.

Live music, Cocktails, and Hors d'oeuvres can be enjoyed in the Fantasia Lounge.

If you would like to meet the Captain personally, he will be standing at the entrance to the Fantasic Lounge, Atlantic Deck Forward, at the beginning of each party.

A stage presentation by the Captain and Senior Officers will be at 5:45 P.M. and 7:50 P.M. in the Fantasia Lounge.

Archived