Is it cheaper to take a taxi to Dunn's River Falls

cltkathy

I would be extremely cautious about a cab in Jamaica....they are absolutely the worst drivers and going to Dunn River is a drive (or experience) ...to say the least. I would buy the excursion from the ship on this one.

Has anyone taken a taxi to Dunn's River Falls instead of taking a tour. I'm guessing that this is cheaper and faster. How much have you paid a taxi to get there from the port?

We went several years ago and had no problems using a cab. In fact we had the cab driver for the entire day - she took us to Dunn River Falls, up into the mountains to the see some of the plantations and then back down into the shopping center. She dropped us off to shop and waited for us until we were done. I think we paid around $40 for the cab.

Yes, it is cheaper to take a taxi. Only authorized, approved drivers are allowed inside the cruise port gates. We have used taxis there on two different trips. The first time we went to everything on both of the "highlights" tours and it costs less than one-half the price of one. Arrange for the taxix driver to pick you back up at a prearranged place and time. Do not pay him anything until you get back to the port. Also, pre-negotiate the price. Big bonus. Our family of 4 climbed the falls twice in less time then it takes one of the cruise groups. My kids would have hated moving that slowly en masse. You do not need a guide!!

I was planning on just taking a taxi to Dunn's also. There will be 6 of us all together. I called JUTA for Ocho Rios a few months back and they said that there were actually shuttles to the falls and back.. does anyone know if that's true? The lady I talked to said it was like $6 per person per way. We really only want to go to the falls, climb it, relax, and shop there (I think there's a straw market there?) and then back. Her english wasn't too good so I don't know if she understood my question entirely. The phone number is 1 876 974 2292 (no email or website available :mad: ), but it costs a lot since it's a Jamaican number, so use a calling card :) I think I'll end up calling about 3 more times to verify what kind of transportation is available before we go. I had a friend in one of my classes that's from Jamaica, and she said the cab drivers aren't shady or anything, she said she trusted them. Alrighty, hope this helps and I hope someone can help me on my questions too. Thanks!

Amy

We will be arriving in Jamacia on the Mariner of the Seas in 3 weeks. We, too, are considering just getting a taxi at the pier over to Dunn's River Falls. Do we have to use the same taxi to return to the pier or are there taxis just waiting? What if we are ready to leave before "our" taxi cab driver comes back or what if we want to stay longer? Just trying to get as much information before we go. We do not want to book through the ship.

Thanks for sharing your information.

My sister and I just took a taxi to the falls with no problem....it was only like 30 bucks roundtrip and he came back and met us at a set time...and we were late and he still waited....there is no need for a guide or a tour to Dunns River Falls. We had a blast going solo and their is always other people going solo to help you with the climb up the falls if you need it. Save the money....just take a taxi and pay the entrance fee to the park.

Archived