Does the QM2 pass Titanic?

Zot

...The Titanic went down at approximately 49 degrees, 56', 54" W, 41 degrees, 43' 35" N. Stated easier, watch for when you are closest to the intersection of the 50 degree longitude and the 43/44 degree latitude location...

Paul

Paul, did you mean to say "watch for when you are closest to...41/42 degree latitude..."? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Chris

Paul, did you mean to say "watch for when you are closest to...41/42 degree latitude..."? Or am I missing something? Thanks. Chris
Yes, I meant 41/42. Sorry about that - grabbed the minutes number instead of degrees at the end of my post.

Paul

I was on an August back-to-back TA on the QE2. Being a Titanic buff, I was carefully looking for the point at which we were closest. On the QE2 there is a map with a cardboard ship which is moved, day by day, along coordinates. I'm not sure how you can tell on the QM2, but the map is probably on your cabin TV. We went past (westbound) around 5 p.m., eastbound around 5 a.m. I had my own personal memorial service at 5 a.m. with a flower pinched from outside the Caronia dining room. It was strange and wonderful, alone on a dark deck at 5 a.m... When the sun rose, it was to a very pale pink and blue dawn, like that described by the survivors....

We crossed 3 times in a 12-month period. Once DIRECTLY over Titanic (Capt. Wright reduced speed, had the ship's bell rung 5 times, & we all honored her passengers with the orchids from our suite. It was a moving experience I'll never forget. So many people at the railings and yet one could've heard a pin drop!) Another time we crossed about 15 miles south of it, & on the final trip we were about 2 miles south of it. I think it really just depends on the weather & the ship's charted path.

• 4 weeks later...

I read that article on the train on the way to work this morning, and wondered how much she really remembered. Of course we will never know.

I was particularly interested to read of the guilt felt by her mother, and how she wore black for the rest of her very long life.

Archived