Wearing medals

michaelq

:mad: My, folk do get snarky.

Why would you not want to wear them? :)

No matter a crossing or one of those damn cruise things where the hoi poli seem not to know what is black tie, decorations and orders are most appropriate on any "dress-up" black tie night.

Yes, medals you are entitled to wear are most appropriate! Just wear them -- United States military medals, foreign medals, even commemorative medals -- in order of precedence.

At black tie functions minature medals look good on a tux, are proper. Got 'em? Wear 'em! :D

Ab

Lets see here, on this board today there is a thread about how much fun it is to wear a goofy hat on Formal night, yet a miniature medal might not be appropriate.

Hmmmmmm

:D

Well, you didn't mention whether the medal was made of or hung on a denim ribbon, you know....

Karie,

who is feeling particularly evil at the moment! <G>

:Yes, medals you are entitled to wear are most appropriate! Just wear them -- United States military medals, foreign medals, even commemorative medals -- in order of precedence.

Ab

Because you can does not mean that you should.

David.

Well, you didn't mention whether the medal was made of or hung on a denim ribbon, you know....

Karie,

who is feeling particularly evil at the moment! <G>

I know I deserve that and accept it graciously. :) I love reading your posts!

Honestly though, I have never done anything meritorious but would love to recognize someone who has.

BTW we got upgraded to a Grill. While I might eat at the Kings Court or walk on deck while wearing jeans, I wouldn't think of it in the PG. So, no jeans.

Cheers

In view of the many controversial and contradictory opinions expressed on the subject of whether wearing medals is appropriate on a cruise ship, perhaps Michaelq (who asked the original question) would kindly tell us if, after reading all these comments, he has made a decision as to wearing his medal on his next cruise!

Oh what a hornets nest I created!

My medal is a civilian medal, not a military one - hence my comment about not having the opportunity to wear it. It is a NASA medal and it is not for bravery, but never-the-less I am proud of it. Reading all the comments, I feel it would not be appropriate to wear the minature, however it did come with a small lapel pin, and that is what I shall wear on my tux.

I appreciate all the comments. Now, perhaps, we can let it rest.:o

it did come with a small lapel pin, and that is what I shall wear on my tux.

Michaelq,

The only 'stupid' questions are the ones that go un-asked - I think your idea of the lapel pin an excellent one - it will make a change from the Gold and Platinum Cunard World Club pins......

Peter

Michaelq,

- I think your idea of the lapel pin an excellent one - it will make a change from the Gold and Platinum Cunard World Club pins......

Peter

Of course, it may be that the ladies would prefer the gentlemen to sport a gardenia or carnation. Or is that only for Chicago gangsters?

Of course, it may be that the ladies would prefer the gentlemen to sport a gardenia or carnation. Or is that only for Chicago gangsters?

I'm afraid Gardenias remind me of Joan Crawford or the Peter Lorre character in The Maltese Falcon.....I'll be sticking with lapel pins.....

As a matter of interest, was it Al Capone who always wore a gardenia in his buttonhole? It was certainly one of the better-known hoodlums. No doubt our transatlantic cousins can elucidate

As for Peter Lorre - what can one say, except that he was one of the greatest character actors of all! Our Tony Blair is another!

Yep, some people on this board shoot first and repent later (me included), maybe that's how some medals are won!

Actually, I was discussing this subject with my older brother last weekend and he told an amazing tale about my uncle Frank who was a Spitfire pilot in WW2.

Sadly, he was lost at sea when flying into Malta from an aircraft carrier (ran out of fuel).

My mum had always thought his body was never recovered. Anyway, on Sunday night I did a search at the war graves commission and got a hit first time using his name and squadron. It turns out he's buried in Sicily. I contacted my mum and told her. She started sobbing and I thought I'd made a big mistake, after she'd dried her tears, she told me that grandma had never truely belived he was dead and always left the front door light on at night, just in case he found his way home. She was glad to know his last resting place was being well tended and respected.

So, don't feel too bad about your "hornets nest" it worked out OK for our family.

Strange things happen on board QM2. I once saw a man dressed in a kilt (dirk, sporren, medals, beard, knobbly knees etc) drinking French Brandy and lemonade using a straw! Now that must have been a real "scotch" person (grin).

Can I have the last word??

If you do wear medals or pins, be prepared to be asked questions about them. If you don't want to talk about how you got them, leave them at home.

Job done!

Best regards and I wish you a very happy cruise.

Jack

Don't worry about the hornet's nest. I had my feathers ruffled a bit, but appreciated the kind comments as well. I have worn my medals to a formal occasion before, but it was when I was wearing my Dress Blue uniform while still active duty. I wouldn't have a problem with someone wearing ones with a tux, but be prepared to be asked about them.

My medal is a civilian medal, not a military one - hence my comment about not having the opportunity to wear it. It is a NASA medal and it is not for bravery, but never-the-less I am proud of it. Reading all the comments, I feel it would not be appropriate to wear the minature, however it did come with a small lapel pin, and that is what I shall wear on my tux.

I appreciate all the comments. Now, perhaps, we can let it rest.:o

Michaelq,

I would be proud to see you wear that medal. If it is not terribly ostentatious, it would be no different than wearing a service club emblem, which many do. But perhpas with a lot more meaning to it (Please-no complaints from serivce club members. My Dad's a PER of the Elks, member of Eagles, along with my former step-mother)

Our parrothead convention a few years ago dedicate a page in our program to those lost souls who lost their lives serving our space program. I grew up with it. We moved to Daytona when i was 11. I rememnber watching my first live space shot from the parking lot of my elementary school in Ormond Beach, amazed we could see it from so far away! My dad was in the Apollo Ground Support Department (GE). He knew many of the astronauts who suffered tragedies, starting with the first Apollo fire. (I hope I got that right) Many of his co-workers lost their lives in the apartment building in Pas Christian Mississippi when it was completely obliterated by a previous hurricane. (and I remember living through the hurricane, even though we were on the East Coast of Florida, we still suffered the affects- Camille. Horrible) He's sort of a technophobe these days, though. I like to tell people my father helped bring Apollo 13 back from the moon. But he can't manage to figure out how to do email! I still remember my horror ( and where I was and other things so clear) when I heard about the Challenger, and Columbia.

Wear your medal with pride. Hopefully it will spark discussions of our space program at the table. Who would have thought, back in 1962 or 63 that we really WOULD one day land a man on the moon! It was every kid of the 60's dream! And it was acheived not only in our lifetime, but in our childhood! And I remember studying space flight in civil Air Patrol. The Goddard Award was one of the medals awarded to cadets as they climbed the ranks. (Robert Goddard, space pioneer)

I would be honored to honor you for whatever you did in the space program.

Karie,

Who was under the coffeetable in our living room with my boyfriend while our engineer fathers and their wives sat on the couch, watching Neil Armstrong take that famous small step. It still chokes me up.

Yep, some people on this board shoot first and repent later (me included), maybe that's how some medals are won!

Actually, I was discussing this subject with my older brother last weekend and he told an amazing tale about my uncle Frank who was a Spitfire pilot in WW2.

Sadly, he was lost at sea when flying into Malta from an aircraft carrier (ran out of fuel).

My mum had always thought his body was never recovered. Anyway, on Sunday night I did a search at the war graves commission and got a hit first time using his name and squadron. It turns out he's buried in Sicily. I contacted my mum and told her. She started sobbing and I thought I'd made a big mistake, after she'd dried her tears, she told me that grandma had never truely belived he was dead and always left the front door light on at night, just in case he found his way home. She was glad to know his last resting place was being well tended and respected.

Jack

Jack,

That did it! I was holding it together think about the moon landing...barely. Now I am sobbing. What a beautiful story.

We buried Marc's Uncle a few years ago. He was shot down and became a POW in WWII. He never talked about it. Then, when I asked him about it a year or so before he died, he told me the whole story. The entire family was amazed. He had NEVER talked about it. After that, he went on to do an interview for a newspaper article for the Portland Maine papers.

There's a time in life for everything. This was time, for him.

Karie,

who knows: to everything, there is a season.

(going to bed now. After I wipe my tears.) You always do it to me, Jack! <G>

Love to the Missus, and glad you're both feeling more chipper!

Don't worry about the hornet's nest. I had my feathers ruffled a bit, but appreciated the kind comments as well. I have worn my medals to a formal occasion before, but it was when I was wearing my Dress Blue uniform while still active duty. I wouldn't have a problem with someone wearing ones with a tux, but be prepared to be asked about them.

If you don't want to go into the long story about your war medals.....answer like I do......I tell I got them for Perfect Attendance....;)

I have a feeling of deja vu since we exhausted the wearing of Military Uniforms as a Ocean Liner/Ship's passenger on this forum several years ago. While many of those posting have changed, the content is basically the same.

A few years ago, I came across a box containing military medals awarded to my late father, who was a major in the U.S. Army during World War II. I never knew he even had a single medal, much less ever saw him wear one. He never spoke much about his war experiences--but I do know that it included nearly five years overseas with no visits home, no overseas phone calls, and very few creature comforts.

So today, especially when I see an older gentleman resplendent in his medals, I can't help but think of the truly monumental sacrifice that my father made years before I was born. And then if I can, I ask the old soldier about his medals and his experiences.

A few years ago, I came across a box containing military medals awarded to my late father, who was a major in the U.S. Army during World War II. I never knew he even had a single medal, much less ever saw him wear one. He never spoke much about his war experiences--but I do know that it included nearly five years overseas with no visits home, no overseas phone calls, and very few creature comforts.

So today, especially when I see an older gentleman resplendent in his medals, I can't help but think of the truly monumental sacrifice that my father made years before I was born. And then if I can, I ask the old soldier about his medals and his experiences.

My father has a box also of mementos/ribbons/medals releated to his service in New Guinea dueing WW2. Only saw it once in the 1960's and have no idea where the box is now. He never talks about the war and neither did any of the vets at the VA hospitals I have worked at - not any war.

I remember when Diana was first Princess of Wales, she was doing a walkabout and spotted an elderly gentleman bedecked with medals and approached him for a chat, expressing the same sentiments as you. She told he he was resplendent also.

If you don't want to go into the long story about your war medals.....answer like I do......I tell I got them for Perfect Attendance....;)

How about won the choirboys' cycling race or the Scripture Knowledge Prize?

Props to the passenger who gets that one!

Coming to this discussion a bit late, but I thought the rule for gentlemen in civilian formal attire was No Jewellery, not even a wrist watch. (The premise being the evening is so entrancing that time is not a factor.) The idea of a lapel pin on a tux lacks class.

Bindar

Archived