Sea Princess - Need help with cabin selection

mariakitty

I'm not sure what to do about our cabin assignment on the July 15th Sea Princess, if anything, so I am seeking your help. :)

We booked a BC category several months ago with a specific cabin that was midship, as I can get seasick on occassion. It was not a "guarantee" booking, and we actually paid more for a better category to select the cabin we wanted, which was on the Baja Deck. We have now been "upgraded" by Princess to a BA category, cabin R310. This is the most forward cabin on the port side for the Riveria deck and I am worried about excessive movement.

I talked with our TA and she said that she could call Princess to change the cabin, but they usually give the best cabin available in the category upgraded to . My question is, should I be happy with the cabin or ask for a lower category? I'm really on the fence about this. Also, can someone explain why the BA category on Riveria (the pool deck) is "better" than a BB or BC category on a lower deck, even though they are midship? Perhaps I am missing a benefit that I am unaware of. :)

Thanks!

Maria

It's been a while, but I recall that Sea Princess was much less bouncy than a Grand-class ship is in similar sea conditions. I wouldn't be too concerned with the location on that ship. On a Grand-class, yes, it might be too far forward for your comfort.

You should note that your cabin is directly underneath Horizon Court. I don't know that there is a problem with noise in the morning or not. If you like to sleep in, hopefully someone can provide some advice about whether or not noise from above is a problem.

All cruise lines, including Princess, setting aside other criteria, have taken it upon themselves to rate cabin fares by deck level. The higher the deck, the higher the price.

We too selected our cabin by category and location. In our case, cabin 310, Cat DD, on Sea's Caribe deck. Since I don't want to be "upgraded" to either C or CC, which are considerably further forward in the bow, I directed our TA to mark our booking as "no upgrades".

BTW - We booked "Deluxe" Oceanview on Sea's two week cruise after sailing a balcony cabin on Grand, which has similarly sized accomodations. The cabin area was fine for one week, but felt it would be too tight for the longer two week trip. However, the only thing we use the balcony for in the Caribbean is drying out snorkel gear. It can be dried out just as well in the shower.:)

I understand that those who book "guaranteed categories" may be bumped up to a higher category, but I was always under the impression that if you book a specific cabin #, that is your cabin unless you, as the guest, ok the change.

I understand that those who book "guaranteed categories" may be bumped up to a higher category, but I was always under the impression that if you book a specific cabin #, that is your cabin unless you, as the guest, ok the change.

Our TA disabused us of that notion. Princess, as well as other lines, will occasionally upgrade those booked in specific cabins. They are, however, supposed to contact the pax, thru the TA of course, and ask if the upgrade is wanted. I have seen reports by a few cruisers who say they were upgraded without being asked, although that may have been the fault of the TA.

I agree with Spongerob about the Sun class ships being less bouncy than the grand. We were once upgraded to the front of the Caribe deck and I was sick the whole trip. We recently sailed the Sea Princess and had an inside room located in the middle of the ship (C505) and felt almost no movement at all, even though we sailed through some heavy seas out of Ft Lauderdale. If

you are worried about sea sickness, the front of the ship is not the place to be. I learned that the hard way.

One more thing....I have found that taking ginger caps does wonders for any problem I have with sea sickness and there are no side effects.

You will love the Sea Princess..One of the best cruises we have ever been on!

Never really understood why they think that Baja and above are worth so much money... We usually shoot for Carib. Actually the lower cabins give a better ride but they are also closer to some of the main noise sources... I agree that the Sun class like the Sea give a pretty good ride. They were designed more for the open ocean than the Grand class was. They are big island touring barges and not as good for the open water. I am going FL to England on the Sea and I am sooo happy it is not the Grand.

As for your case, we had some folks on the Sun that complained of kitchen noise near the buffet. Or maybe it was just the fuddy stampeeeeeddddd every morning. :-)

Really though, I agree with the group you should be ok in the new digs but that said, if you liked the cabin you originally had, ask Princess to put you back and put whoever got your old cabin on the upper deck... The only advantage it may have is the upper deck cabins are sometime a little bigger but not enough that anyone really cares.

my 2c :-)

Mariakitty, we were on the Sun, had chosen our cabin on the Caribe Deck, and got upgraded to a Riviera Deck balcony BA. I worried about that for MONTHS!!! We were not asked, it just appieared on our Cruise Personalizer. It turned out that that was one of our favorite cabins! We loved the Riviera Deck, and we liked it so much that we have booked the same cabin for our next cruise on the Dawn. We never heard anything from Horizon Court while in our cabin, but did hear a few chair scrapes when on the balcony. There aren't many cabins on that deck, so it was fairly quiet.

Have a great cruise!

PS - The cutout for the balcony was larger on the Riviera Deck than on the Caribe Deck, too.............balcony still tiny, but cozy..

Archived