was told by county health depart. that vaccinations are highly suggested for Belize

BearySweet2Cruise

Our local health department informed us that if we are planning an excursion not within the port of where the ship docks in Belize, then we needed hep A vaccines and should be treated preventatively for malaria especially if we are going to be on the cave tubing excursion due to the underdeveloped country, their water is contaminated(according to health dept.) , and the botflies and other malaria carrying insects. She stated because it is so far inland and not very civilized. She claimes this information is on the CDC website, and I checked it out. It does in fact mention belize as an immunization country... what do you think?

We really are interested in this excursion, but she has made it sound very critical that we get these vaccines if we plan to do this excursion. Has any one else gone through thee series in order to do shore excursions?

Please share...

Thanks

I saw this too at the CDC website. I always check out the government's travel recommendations for the foreign site we are traveling to.

I could be wrong, but Hepatitis vaccine(s) are usually spread out over 5-6 month in 3 injections. DS had his last year for entrance into high school and that's how it had to be. Since we travel in 65 days, not really an option.

I was going to call my doctor and ask his opinion. (Although, I've called him in the past and he's always poo-poo'd my fears.) I was kind of thinking that we could have malaria medication 'just in case', but not take it preventively. I read the side effects, which didn't sound that appealing!

And since so many passengers visit this port, and a good number of them take this excursion, I think we'd hear about it if they were suffering from malaria, bot fly, encephalitis (sp?), and what-not. I think a good bug spray is definitely a requirement.

Our local health department informed us that if we are planning an excursion not within the port of where the ship docks in Belize, then we needed hep A vaccines and should be treated preventatively for malaria especially if we are going to be on the cave tubing excursion due to the underdeveloped country, their water is contaminated(according to health dept.) , and the botflies and other malaria carrying insects. She stated because it is so far inland and not very civilized. She claimes this information is on the CDC website, and I checked it out. It does in fact mention belize as an immunization country... what do you think?

We really are interested in this excursion, but she has made it sound very critical that we get these vaccines if we plan to do this excursion. Has any one else gone through thee series in order to do shore excursions?

Please share...

Thanks

IF you were going to spend a month in Belize, this advice would make sense but for a one day cruiseship stop it does NOT make a lot of sense (except for the Hep A part).

Why:

1. Botfly does NOT carry malaria (it lays a parasitic larva) and BTW exists in the U.S.A. It is mostly preys on cattle - so if you are concerned avoid cattle while you are in Belize. Could you get bitten - yes but HIGHLY unlikely and the only preventive measures are - wear insect repellant and do not hang out with cattle).

2. The malaria carrying mosquito comes out AFTER DARK - so unless you intend to camp in a mosquito infested jungle, your chances of being bitten by the malaria carrying mosquito are virtually NIL.

3. The malaria shots make some people quite ill and should therefore should only be used when you intend to spend some time in a malaria infected region.

4. Your best defence against any insect is to WEAR INSECT REPELLANT with DEET. Frequently re-apply - especially after getting wet.

5. The two preventative measure my ex GP highly recommended (and he practiced medicine in the 3rd world) is to get your Hep A shot and your tetanus shot.

IF you were going to spend a month in Belize, this advice would make sense but for a one day cruiseship stop it does NOT make a lot of sense (except for the Hep A part).

Why:

1. Botfly does NOT carry malaria (it lays a parasitic larva) and BTW exists in the U.S.A. It is mostly preys on cattle - so if you are concerned avoid cattle while you are in Belize. Could you get bitten - yes but HIGHLY unlikely and the only preventive measures are - wear insect repellant and do not hang out with cattle).

2. The malaria carrying mosquito comes out AFTER DARK - so unless you intend to camp in a mosquito infested jungle, your chances of being bitten by the malaria carrying mosquito are virtually NIL.

3. The malaria shots make some people quite ill and should therefore should only be used when you intend to spend some time in a malaria infected region.

4. Your best defence against any insect is to WEAR INSECT REPELLANT with DEET. Frequently re-apply - especially after getting wet.

5. The two preventative measure my ex GP highly recommended (and he practiced medicine in the 3rd world) is to get your Hep A shot and your tetanus shot.

what our HMO Travel Clinic said. We booked our cruise at the end of January and got our first shots (Hep A and Tetanus) in the middle of February. Got our second Hep shot at end of March. Our cruise is end of April. Last shot comes in August but they said we are protected. They said definitely bring the insect repellant with Deet.

Archived