First time Cruser/certifyed Diver looking for Info

Merchant

hi all,

I'm a certified diver, have about 25 or so dives total since i was certified in 94. haven't dived in years, I'm finding that i have to replace my 1st and 2nd stages simply because the service parts aren't made anymore. I'm booked on the navigator of the sea's10/28/2006, I've refreshed my knowledge of dive tables and re-read my manuels enough that i will be going on a few local dives before my sail date.

i will be taking my gear with me less weight belt and tanks. ports of call are Labadee, Hispaniola; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico my questions and concerns are these

I'm looking to dive in cozumel and the grand caymans. two tank dives min with a dive master that comes along. (i am not traveling with a diver) can anyone recommend a good guide that i can book with at these two locations and do you think there will be a problem that i am a single diver. i have no problem following a designated dive buddy, i just don't want to get stuck in a intro to diving group.

what tank types are available for rent down there? steel, high/low pressure aluminum yoke or din valves?

also any info on how the dives them self a run would be great, this would be my first out of the country clear water dive trip. IE I'm a cold water east coast diver and the most exotic thing Ive done is 85 feet inverted in fresh water with my head in a paddle boat wreak.

thanks

I'm looking to dive in cozumel and the grand cayman. two tank dives min with a dive master that comes along. (i am not traveling with a diver) can anyone recommend a good guide that i can book with at these two locations and do you think there will be a problem that i am a single diver. i have no problem following a designated dive buddy, i just don't want to get stuck in a intro to diving group.
Most of the smaller dive operators in Grand Cayman and Cozumel will be what you are looking for. http://www.neptunesdivers.com in GCM and http://www.divewithalison.com or http://www.scubatony.com in Cozumel are who I'd go with if I was on a cruise stopping there.

On Labadee, the ship's private island, you don't have a choice. You have to go with the ship's excursion.

On Jamaica, I'd stay on the ship.

what tank types are available for rent down there? steel, high/low pressure aluminum yoke or din valves?
Aluminum 80's with yoke valves are the standard in warm water destinations, and that is what you can expect to get with just about all the dive operators. You'll have to go with an operator that caters to advanced divers if you are looking for something else.

I'm looking to dive in cozumel and the grand caymans. two tank dives min with a dive master that comes along. (i am not traveling with a diver) can anyone recommend a good guide that i can book with at these two locations and do you think there will be a problem that i am a single diver. i have no problem following a designated dive buddy, i just don't want to get stuck in a intro to diving group.

also any info on how the dives them self a run would be great, this would be my first out of the country clear water dive trip. IE I'm a cold water east coast diver and the most exotic thing Ive done is 85 feet inverted in fresh water with my head in a paddle boat wreak.

thanks

Check with Alison of Scuba with Alison. She's taken me as a single before. (As long as she had others already booked of course - not just me alone on the boat.) She's a great DM, runs a fun boat, and makes an excellent dive buddy. She uses standard alum. 80's - can't remember, but she can likely get 100's as well if you request them in advance. The water should be nice & warm in Oct - we still had low 80's in late November. Dives are all drifts - backroll off the boat, drop down, and zip along as a group. Relax and steer! Any of the Palancar dives are wonderful .... Palancar Horseshoe (my favorite), Palancar Gardens, Palancar Bricks. Actually, I don't think I've had a bad dive yet on Coz, not even after both hurricanes!! Hope you have a super trip!! Can't help you with the other locations - have dove Grand Cayman, but mostly shore diving out at DiveTech with a buddy ....

Archived