Princess Cruise Venice-Rome

Hi

I am Terence living in Canada . Mabel(my beloved wife) and I just got married in February and plan to go on Princess cruise on May 22. It will sail from Venice, thru southern Italy and Greece and eventually to Rome.

We'll fly and arrive in Venice around 5pm on May 21st . So we're looking for Venice hotel for 1 night and then tour the Venice before checking into cruise. We'll also stay in Rome for a few nights.

Here are my questions:

(1) Where would you suggest us to stay in Venice? Where did you stay ?

My preference is 2-stars hotel with private bathroom, hopefully < 100 Euro. In term of Location ,i don't know if i should stay in Mestre and as close to main attraction as possible.

(2) How long it takes to walk from the port to Venice main attraction ?

Thanks

Terence

http://www.MabelandTerence.com

Terence,

Sounds like you're on the same cruise we're on. There's a page started under Roll Calls..lots of good info. Sign on and join us--(there's another honeymooning couple) or just read the info.

Not sure what will be available for rooms--try TripAdvisor to check out reviews and find a place offering what you'd like--then go from there.

Good luck. P&W

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Terence, and best wishes on your recent marriage. Since you are new to the boards, I thought I would provide you with a link to the roll call pmat referred to: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=170473

You'll find lots of great information on this board for your trip, so take a look around and read any threads that spark your interest.

Have a great cruise!

Congratulations on your recent marriage. We will be on the August 20 cruise, Venice to Rome, spending two nights prior in Mestre at the Best Western Hotel Bologna at the rate of $99 Euros, per night. The hotel has private bath, full breakfast included and is about 50 yards across the street from the train station. From what we have read, it is about a 10 minute train ride into Venice. Have a fantastic cruise.

If you can find a hotel in your price range (you might try tripadvisor.com or venere.com as search engines for hotels in Venice), I'd strongly recommend Venice over Mestre. Mestre is really pretty much an industrial town and bears little relation to Venice and what makes Venice special. And it IS a bother to get from Mestre to Venice and back. You're not likely to stroll around Venice after dinner when you have to take the vaporetto back to the train station (S. Lucia) in Venice and then a train back to Mestre. And strolling around Venice is half the charm of the city - at least half. AND, your ship's point of emarkation is Venice, not Mestre, so you'll have to get your luggage from Mestre to Venice and your ship the next day anyway.

KnoxvilleSam

Archived