Need help on snorkeling excursion choice

Gkaos

:confused: We need help choosing an economical snorkel excursion in Cozumel, and were wondering if anyone had any experience with the following snorkel tours/companies (or are there any other snorkel tours they would recommend).

[1] Maria del Mar 3 Reef Snorkel & Snuba Trip

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Mpmariamar?From=Activities

Advantages: longer trip - 4 hrs, 3 reefs, seem to provide personal attention, good price ($35 adults, $20 kids).

Disadvantages: ?shallower reefs (Paraiso, Dzul Ha and Villa Blanca) with Wilma damage.

[2] Island Marketing Ltd, Cozumel Snuba Diving and Snorkeling Excursion

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelSnubaDivingExcursion.htm

Advantages: 4 hours, 3 reefs including Paradise reef, good price ($35/$20).

Disadvantages: more commercialized?, what other reefs besides Paradise?

[3] Paradise Beach's catamaran snorkel tour:

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.net/beach_snorkel.htm

Advantages: Catamaran sounds exciting, easy access from Paradise Beach, Paradise beach's great reputation :D. Palancar and Colombia Reefs (these reefs seem decent?)

Disadvantages: Fewer reefs (2), shorter trip (2 hours instead of 4) for about same price ($35/$25).

We would like to have as much in-water snorkel time at undamaged reefs as possible. All the tours sound great, but we figured some people on the board must have some experiences with the tours. Also, are their post-Wilma choice of reefs decent, and if you make a reservation with a credit card, do they charge you if your ship cancels the port stop? Thanks very much to everyone! :)

[1] Maria del Mar 3 Reef Snorkel & Snuba Trip

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Mpmariamar?From=Activities

Advantages: longer trip - 4 hrs, 3 reefs, seem to provide personal attention, good price ($35 adults, $20 kids).

Disadvantages: ?shallower reefs (Paraiso, Dzul Ha and Villa Blanca) with Wilma damage.

I can only help you with this one. We just returned today and we did this tour last Thursday. This outfit is great. This is the second time we have used them and they are great. You get approx 45 mins at each reef. Two members of the crew get in the water with you and kind of guide you around and find things you normally wouldn't notice.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Clint

Did the Paradise Beach Catamaran on Thursday 4/06. This was first reef snorkle I have done, so I can't compare to others, but I did this with my 3 kids (10,9,7) and my 2 older kids and I really enjoyed it. The 7 year old was still a little timid and spent very little time in the water. The 2 reefs were good. The 2nd reef (Columbia) was very deep (60-75 ft? maybe more). We saw several scuba divers here as well. We saw a sea turtle, a large puffer fish (I think) and several other large fish including one very large black fish which I was told after the fact was a Red Snapper. Lots of other large and colorful fish as well. I expected the reef to be more colorful. I've not been before, so I don't know if this was affected by the hurricane ( I've read here that it wasn't). I definitely would have enjoyed more time in the water.

These are great reviews and exactly what I was trying to find out!

Clint, it sounds like Maria del Mar gives quite alot of water time (45 minutes per reef!). I like that the 2 guides get in the water with you. Did you feel that the reefs were deep enough (but not too deep) and sufficiently undamaged by Wilma (since Dzul Ha is accessible from the shore...did you go out to the deeper parts?). Thanks very much.

Heydn62, I was thinking about the Paradise Beach catamaran, since the catamaran sounds like fun, but the time seemed shorter than the other excursions (but then we would have to plan to come back to Cozumel!). With children, it seems the catamaran stair exit is nice, but I agree with you that I would enjoy more time in the water. Lots of great observations! I am thinking the real deep water at Columbia reef may not be best for snorkeling (although the reef is probably better-preserved), as contrasted to scuba, since it is harder to swim that deep with just a snorkel. Thank you very much!

I am thinking the real deep water at Columbia reef may not be best for snorkeling (although the reef is probably better-preserved), as contrasted to scuba, since it is harder to swim that deep with just a snorkel. Thank you very much!

Actually, I preferred the deeper reef. The water is very clear and visibility is good when the sun was out. I just kept my vest inflated and floated along with the currents. When the sun went behind the clouds, it did cut down on what you could see, so if it's a cloudy day, that's something to consider.

Remember, this was my first reef snorkle, so your not getting expert advice here. My guess is you'll have a great time no matter which you choose.

Good Luck and have fun!:)

Sorry I've been away working (so I can take time off to go on the cruise!). Your comments sure are helpful heydn62, and I think based on your experience I will choose the one you took. I have never been on a cruise before and have only limited snorkeling experience, so if you had a good time, I am sure it will be great. Thank you again! :)

These are great reviews and exactly what I was trying to find out!

Clint, it sounds like Maria del Mar gives quite alot of water time (45 minutes per reef!). I like that the 2 guides get in the water with you. Did you feel that the reefs were deep enough (but not too deep) and sufficiently undamaged by Wilma (since Dzul Ha is accessible from the shore...did you go out to the deeper parts?). Thanks very much.

The reefs were deep enough(10-12ft) for us to see tons of small fish, Several Moray Eels, swordfish(they usually don't go this shallow), starfish and a very large Lobster. If you stay near the boat you can swim in 20-30 ft water, but we didnt' so no idea what they saw.

If you go looking for damage you'll see it anywhere you snorkel. However the damage didnt' affect the fish life as much as I expected it too. Having been in September I saw almost as many fish this time as last time and I did see more variety this time.

Gary and his crew at Mayan Paradise really go out of their way to help you see as much as possible. This was our second time with them and hopefully will not be our last.

Clint

Archived