Subsequent cruise norovirus..

Gypsea

When you think about it we are pretty lucky norovirus is usually contained to only one sailing. Amsterdam is experiencing a back to back episode now too but we don't see it as often as it you might think.

Travelers are not very smart about sanitizing though. I noticed on the Century 3/26 when I heard a mom suggest her son use a sanitizer in the buffet he answered, "I'm good". And I thought, umm, we'll see. Kids especially are not known for their good hygeine in many cases. That's why they infect us with all the school germs at home. I am always explaining to my 15 year olds using an example of a kid using the bathroom, not washing, touching the desk, doorknobs, etc. then they come along etc. etc. I think people just don't use their heads. Pretty gross when you think it through.

I have always escaped for the most part but am diligent about washing, sanitizing and avoiding elevators and handrails. I also do the paper towel on the door handle when leaving the bathroom. Pretend you're a surgeon for the week and remember it's airborne too (which is why I take the stairs).

Too bad it's not the Mercury having a massive overhaul. Maybe then it would finally be free of this dreaded germ.

PS It was a year ago March 13th that the Zenith had B2B's with this problem.

The surgeon analogy is a good one. Think about how they avoid touching anything once clean (e.g. backing into a door to open it). Now think about that same 15 year old that was "good", and now touching all of the laddles/tongs in the buffet. Really, you need to sanitize AFTER you get your food. I saw a study that showed that the DIRTIEST thing in a restaurant is....the menu! It never gets washed (or a dirty rag is used), is used many many times by patrons that haven't washed their hands, people block sneezes/coughs with it, etc. It opened my eyes!

I have to wonder how much of the norovirus hype is actually just people eating in countries (like Mexico) where food borne illnesses are common if you don't have the built up immunity to things like Montezuma's Revenge.

I mean, I've been to Mexico twice, and gotten gastro illness from there once. I wouldn't think of blaming my mode of transportation, but people seem to blame cruise ships for carrying it. To me, it seems simple: you travel out of the country, get exposed to things your body isn't used to, and get sick! And if you're on a boat with 1,500+ people doing the same thing, it makes sense that some of them will get sick as well. I'm not saying norovirus doesn't exist on ships, I just wonder how prevalent it really is.

Browe:

I think I figured out your group but I never did get to meet you. Were your daughters blond with some toddlers and a baby? There were so many families on Century. What a great cruise.

I know what you mean about the menus and tongs. I read the cleanest thing in the bathroom is actually that door handle cuz everyone avoids it. But I still use my sleeve or a towel.

Naturally, if your immune system is compromised you're doomed but my guess is the plane does alot of us in. I sat behind a college aged girl who coughed from Providence to FLL before my cruise. Unfortunately, 48 hours later I was sick. Luckily I was prepared for any event and within 24 hours was feeling better (antibiotic) and not contagious.

As for noro it's anybody's guess just where or why we travelers succumb. Once I got a touch just after arriving home. Let's face it, it is pretty exhausting this globetrotting. This time we lost an hour coming back east from GrCayman and then another for daylight savings, that was tough. Especially when you burn the midnight oil many nights and jump up to get off the ship each morning.

I have to wonder how much of the norovirus hype is actually just people eating in countries (like Mexico) where food borne illnesses are common if you don't have the built up immunity to things like Montezuma's Revenge.

I mean, I've been to Mexico twice, and gotten gastro illness from there once. I wouldn't think of blaming my mode of transportation, but people seem to blame cruise ships for carrying it. To me, it seems simple: you travel out of the country, get exposed to things your body isn't used to, and get sick! And if you're on a boat with 1,500+ people doing the same thing, it makes sense that some of them will get sick as well. I'm not saying norovirus doesn't exist on ships, I just wonder how prevalent it really is.

A few years ago there was a big problem with Norovirus on the Alaska run, so I don't think Mexican food is to blame. Holland America ended up taking the ship out of service for some time -- not sure if it was a full cruise -- and they even had it anchored off shore like a plague ship. We saw it as we sailed off on the Sun Pricess out of Vancouver.

One thing I noticed last December on the Norwegian "Pride of America"...There were portable hand sanitizer dispensers all over the ship. I remember when we first boarded, there were two of them just inside the door. Two crew members were there who welcomed us and said "Would you like some hand sanitizer and a free fruit drink?" I remember appreciating how nice it was to freshen up a little and have a cool drink.

Now I can see the added benefit to this. I wish all the cruise lines would do something like this.

SanDiegoJoe

Archived