vegetarians

naomi2525

Hi

Could anyone let me know what princess offer vegetarians in the main restaurant? How many vegetarian choices are they each night? Is there a seperate menu for vegetarians which you have to pre-order (like p&o) ? Could anyone give me any examples of vegetarian dishes they do? We would like to try a princess cruise, but are unsure what the vegetarian choices are.

Thanks

Naomi

Naomi,

Most cruise lines have vegetarian menus. The special problems show up if you are Vegan. Vegan's are more strict in their diets. The cruise lines are set up to meet all dietary needs. The Kosher diet, the diabetic diet and the vegetarian diet since some lifestyles and faiths do not eat meat.

In the main dining rooms there is always a vegetarian option (they list an entire meal with appetizers and such). I eat meat, but prefer a plant based diet with minimized meat. I like fish and shellfish a lot, so I eat more meat on a cruise than at home.

I think if you are an extremely strict vegan, and don't wish to gain a lot of weight (eating mostly bread, rice, pasta and desert) I would have your TA call them and ask.

If you eat eggs and dairy, you should be fine ordering off the regular menus. There are lots of dishes like veggie pizza, pasta with marinara or alfredo, cheese souffles, salads, bread, deserts, soups made with beans, veggies or pasta, and the usual yogurts, fruit, cereals, etc.

If you go to this site, http://www.stonejongleux.com/CruiseInfo.html, you will find copies of the menus. This poster went three years ago, but most of it is still the same. The left hand page on each day's menu contains the Lotus Spa menu, a low cal, low fat healthy choice, as well as a vegetarian menu. Choices on both are always different every day. In addition, fettuccini and Caesar Salad are always available. Lots of folks are eating healthier (wish I could say the same :( ) and many are going the vegetarian route. Cruise lines would be silly not to offer these folks some good choices. You will be fine.

Pasta, tomato, eggplant, salad, pasta, tomato, eggplant, salad, pasta tomoato eggplant salad and more pasta - the main meal vegi menu is very limited especially over a two week cruise - plenty of cake though :D

They have the most marvelous Fettucinni Alfredo, which is offered every evening on the dinner menu. My son is a vegetarian, and had absolutely no problem finding a delicious meal!

These are some of the vegetarian menu items that I have seen on both the Sapphire as well as the Caribbean Pricesses:

• Cream of Porcini Mushroom Soup Perfumed with Tarragon
  • Watercress, Shredded Carrots and Hearts of Iceberg Lettuce
  • Pasta Shells with Broccoli and a Touch of Fresh Tomato Sauce
  • Moroccan Vegetable Ragout with Pita Bread
  • Grapefuit and Kiwi Dressed in a Mint-Raspberry Puree
  • Mixed Salad of Arugula, Endive and Butter Lettuce
  • Homemade Fresh Pasta Tossed with tomato and Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Vegetable Pojarski Cutlet on a Paprika Cream Sauce with Braised lentils
  • Baked Eggplant Parmigiana with tomato sauce and basil
  • Rustic vegetable minestrone with rice and herbs
  • Baby leaf spinach with butter lettuce, Pecorino cheese and pinenuts
  • Penne all'Arrabbiata
  • Symphony of Royal Fruit
  • Chilled English Cucumber Soup
  • Fresh Garden Mixed Greens and red cabbage Chiffonade
  • Leek and Ricotta Cheese Tart with Vegetable Ratatouille
  • Green asparagus spears in a warm tarragon butter sauce under a cloud of puff pastry
  • Chilled golden delicious apple and peach soup with a touch of rum
  • Mixed seasonal field greens with shredded carrots and cherry tomatoes
  • Tofu with Miso sauce and Chinese Pea pods
  • Golden fresh fruit collection flavored with Kirsch
  • Roasted garlic veloute with rosemary
  • Boston lettuce, radicchio and tomato salad
  • Ravioli di ricotta and spinach with fresh tomato sauce
  • Floridian oranges steeped in Grand Marnier and Mint
  • Chiled cantaloupe and honeydew cream with a hint of Midori
  • Grilled vegetables and hearts of romaine lettuce
  • Broiled eggplant with pistachio mint sauce
  • Assorted International Cheese and Crackers
  • Seasonal Fresh Fruit Plate

:)

I have to agree with UKLady. We did a 10 day Coral Princess cruise last year and there was an over-reliance on pasta. You won't starve but after a few days you'll be craving a non-pasta dish. We only had tofu once and that seemed like a real treat. Also we hadn't realised until the last day that you could order a bowl of vegetables and french fries to go with your meal. We'd have been a lot fuller if we'd realised this earlier!

Having said that you an always get veggie pizza during the day (assuming you eat cheese) and they do veggie burgers at the pool-side grill, although they are the ones with bits of vegetable in rather than the soy based ones which I personally prefer and which you can get on Holland America.

Now I'm done bitching, it can't have been all that bad because I'm going back on Princess for a week next month and then for 23 days in September - I might be sick of pasta by the end of that trip!

We found that it was much easier to find a wide variety of veggie choices at Horizon Court. We were never bored with the selection, and personally I found it simpler to at least scope out the possibilities here (we usually feed our kids at the buffet early, so tend to nibble a bit there before heading to dinner ourselves).

My wife is vegetarian and had some trouble finding things only because she is a picky eater. She is what I like to classify as a non-meat eater rather than a vegetarian meaning she likes everything except the meat. She isn't fond of eggplant, squash or other weird veggies. She ended up eating in the dining room every night although there were a few nights in a row she had the fettuccini. The waiters are really accommodating and will give you a dish sans the meat.

Her only gripe was that a lot of salads in the buffet that normally would not have meat (i.e.; potato and rice salad) had meat in them. Could have been the chef, who knows. I advised her to write Princess to let them know her concern.

And the veggie burger was no good. Green mushy mush. YUCK!

I am vegan and have been on three Princes cruises. One was not so good and the other two were great.

It helps to have some idea what you may like to suggest. I had several Indian dishes on the Sun last year and they were great. They will make a no cheese veggie pizza. I agree, avoid the Princess "veggie" burger.. it is like green mashed potato....you can ask for the fresh veggie sides from the main menu. The made me apple and cherry pies...

Zebboriah--that veggie burger was awful! Soggy. The Alfredo is great. I eat lacto-vegetarian. Our Head Waiter on the Regal last month came by each evening to show me the next night's dinner menu. Offering anything I might like if what they had was unsatisfactory. Worked out OK. There is always bread and dessert!

SQ

As many others have said, you can eat very well on Princess as a vegetarian in both the Horizon and the dining room. I have been on 4 Princess cruises - Caribbean (2), Med (1), Alaska (1). I am a lacto/ovo and most nights just select something from the veggie menu. When I didn't care for the choices I simply asked our waiter to fix what I desired - for instance, pasta with just butter and peppers instead of the pasta with fish cream sauce and peppers. I could have requested omelet or anything else. I think you would just need to be specific in what you like to have and they will happily fix it for you. Enjoy!

I loooooove veggie burgers normally, but I have to agree that the ones on Princess are nasty and have an awful texture. Even the waiter raised his eyebrows when I ordered it for lunch in the dining room one day and told me that if I didn't like it when it came out, he'd bring something else.

To the OP, try that grilled veggie salad from the Landfall (last night) Menu -- someday, I'm going to ask for that as an entree salad.

Archived