just back from the spirit

kathas2boys

Hi, I enjoyed your review of the spirit. I will be leaving on Sunday with my husband and three kids. We have two cabins adjoining on Deck 11. I am hoping that we will have enough room and closet space. They are balcony staterooms. Also, what about bringing wine? The website said that we could but there is a corkage fee? Is is imposed? Also, should I bring a outlet strip? CD's, ipods, etc? hairdryer? Heard I could blow a fuse?!?! I know this is a stupid question but can empty luggage be stored under the bed? If so, do you have an idea about the height of the under bed clearance? Did the ship seem crowded? I know that our cruise is sold out. I am excited about leaving but this is our first cruise and I am worried about seasickness. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. vallelde

Hi, I enjoyed your review of the spirit. I will be leaving on Sunday with my husband and three kids. We have two cabins adjoining on Deck 11. I am hoping that we will have enough room and closet space. They are balcony staterooms. Also, what about bringing wine? The website said that we could but there is a corkage fee? Is is imposed? Also, should I bring a outlet strip? CD's, ipods, etc? hairdryer? Heard I could blow a fuse?!?! I know this is a stupid question but can empty luggage be stored under the bed? If so, do you have an idea about the height of the under bed clearance? Did the ship seem crowded? I know that our cruise is sold out. I am excited about leaving but this is our first cruise and I am worried about seasickness. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. vallelde

Hello vallelde: I am sailing with you this Sunday! Why don't you log onto our roll call and meet everyone else who is coming? We have a room reserved for us all to meet on the ship on Monday (first day at sea) at 10:30 in the Clippership Conference Room. NCL will provide refreshments. Mosts of the families in our group have children too. :)

:) sounds like you had a great time...we just came back from the 03/26/06 11 night on the Dawn and loved it....The Dawn is about the same but about 100 feet longer.....and I too loved the freestyle dining....much better than HAVING to have a certain time to dine in the formal dining rooms....;)

thank you lotteryfan for posting the first nights menu...please keep it coming!! i cant wait to go on the cruise...7 weeks from saturday!!

Sorry but that was not me. It was Kathas2boys. Don't want to take credit when credit isn't due especially from my cruising buddy is affected.

Lotteryfan,

This has nothing to do with the Spirit, but, I have to know......How the "H-E-double toothpicks" were you able to create your glittery signature. I went to the website, created my name in glitter, and am completely confused from that point on. I'm usually pretty savvy with this sort of stuff and the fact that I CANNOT figure out how to get my name in glittery lights, is driving me crazy!!

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

The Currently, Non-Glittery, CruisinKat

Ok but its been a while so let me see...On the web page that you created the glitter....after you have created it you have to copy and paste all the letters, numbers and words in, I think, the second box on the right hand side marked forum hotlink, 1. Then take that information to the user control panel on cruisecritic and enter it in your signature file. This should work. If not, try any of the other boxes on the right side of the glitter page. Hope this helps.

I will indeed log onto the roll call. I am new at this and am a first time cruiser. Any advice? Thanks!

My best advice is: get ready to have the time of your life!!! This is our second cruise, both times without out 10 year old twins :). Love 'em and all but we need an adult vaca sometimes, too!

I've seen the kids camps and it appears to be a great time. The older kids have pool/pizza parties, etc. Be sure to sign your kids up early for camp, if that's what you want to do.

Basically, get ready to do whatever you want. There's tons of activities (bingo, trivia, texas hold'em tournaments, different classes avail.) Unless, of course, you want to totally relax. There's kids water park and acrade on the 10th deck. I'm not sure what ages your kids are, but there is something for everyone. Get ready to be treated like royalty and eat some good food!

There's shows and a chocolate buffet, too! Never a dull moment.:)

Thanks for the feeback about your cruise and for posting the menu.

We will be sailing with a 10 year-old and are curious as to how sign ups for the kids club works. Do you sign them up the first day for every session? Do they limit the number of children that can sign up? Can you sign up for each session and then not show up if your child changes their mind? (We don't like having to plan what any of us will be doing)Do many children use the club during the day, or just primarily at night?

How was the seating by the childrens pool area..plenty or was it hard to get seats?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but look forward to any answers you can provide.

Sounds like you had a great first crusie!

Thanks for the feeback about your cruise and for posting the menu.

We will be sailing with a 10 year-old and are curious as to how sign ups for the kids club works. Do you sign them up the first day for every session? Do they limit the number of children that can sign up? Can you sign up for each session and then not show up if your child changes their mind? (We don't like having to plan what any of us will be doing)Do many children use the club during the day, or just primarily at night?

How was the seating by the childrens pool area..plenty or was it hard to get seats?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but look forward to any answers you can provide.

Sounds like you had a great first crusie!

I really can't answer your questions about kids issues becasue we haven't cruised with ours!!! So, if you post a thread asking these same questions, people will "come out of the woodwork" to answer your questions!

Have fun on your cruise!

FRENCH DINNER:

To start with:

Rouleaux de Saumon Fume (smoked salmon pin-wheels Peppered Cream Cheese and Toast)

Melange of Assorted fresh Fruit

Crepes aux Champignons (thin pancakes filed with creamed Mushroom Ragout Baked with Sauce Hollandaise)

Salmon Bisque

Beef consomme

Triple Mushroom Salad with Walnut

MAIN SELECTIONS:

Fusilli Pasta with Leeks and Artichokes

Entrecote de Boeuf a la Perigourdine (frilled striploin of beef truffle sauce, macaire potatoes, and fresh sauteed haricot vert with herb butter)

Coq-au-Vin (Burgundy wine-braised chicken ragout pearl onion and forest mushrooms)

Lotte a la Provencal Monkfish (tomatoes-capers jus, parisienne potatoes, and vegetables)

Quiche with leeks, Asparagus, and Walnuts (bouquet of vegetables)

DESSERT SELECTIONS:

Creme Caramel- Classic French Vanilla Flan

Raspberry Cheese Cake Parfait

Tart Tatin Upside-Down Baked Apple Tart (with vanilla ice cream)

Fresh Fruit Tartlets

Lemon Sherbet- Strawberry Sherbet

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

****ice cream is the same and the first night

****always available is the same as the first night

CHEF'S DINNER:

To start with;

Duo of Tuna Tartar (cucumber, spicy ponzu, and pickled ginger)

Citrus Compote

Baked Idaho Potato (creme fraiche and salmon caviar)

Double steamed Chicken Broth with Vegetables

Mixed Crisp Lettuce with Vegetables and Bacon Bits (choice of Traditional or fat free dressings)

MAIN SELECTIONS:

Linguini all Putanesca (italian Pasta tossed in olive oil, garlic, anchovies, oregano, tomatoes, capers and dried chillies)

Beef Stroganoff (tips of beef tenderloin sauteed with mushrooms and onoins sour cream and fettuccine pasta)

Red Currant-Glazed Pork Chops (roasted root vegetables and savory new potatoes)

Honey Seared Salmon on Baby Spinach (glazed vegetables, crisp potatoe pancake, and roasted shallot balsamic reduction)

Risotto (eggplant piccata, green onion, and crisp-fried artichokes)

DESSERT SELECTIONS:

Vanilla Caramel Flan

Chocolate-Nougay Cake on Grand Marnier Sauce

Apple in the Jacket Baked ina a Puff Pastry Coat (raisin and marzipan, Vanilla Bean Sauce)

Strawberry Cake

Raspberry Sherbet- Orange Sherbet

Peach Frozen Yogurt

Pepi: My 10 year old son joined the kids club. for the most part he enjoyed it...He already missed smeeykelli and muddog. When you get onboard there will be a freestlye daily in your room waiting for you. when it is time go to charlies center inthe aft of deck 10 and just sign up. For the most part with my guy it started with about 15 kids and by the end of our trip it was up to at least 25 kids. You most definitely want to buy the refillable soda bracelet for $16 (what a life saver) it works everywhere except for room service. Hope your kid has a great time and tell smellikelly and muddog that Anthony missed them!!!

kathas2boys, can you give me an idea of what they do in kids club. My son is 12 (will be 13 in July) and we are on the 6/11 Spirit. Since he is boarderline for the 10-12 I didnt know if the activities would interest him?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these for us. You're making me that much more anxious to get on the ship! We're under 10 weeks away now.

I have a silly question to ask though.....were there cold soups on the lunch menus? I totally love the cold soups we've had on all previous cruises and I'm sorry to hear that NCL has taken them off of the dinner menus. Hoping they're still around for lunch!

Hikini:D

Kathas2boys,

Thanks for posting your comments & menus.

We are going on 5/20 and have a CC get together planned for 10:00 am the next morning (at sea). Our itin is a little different from the one you took, but can you give me an idea what time morning "check-in" was that first morning? There are around 19 kids in our group's roll call, so just trying to get an idea how many folks might be a little late in arriving.

Would love to see the kids menu's that you referred to. My 14 year old son(6 ft. 3 in, 150 lbs), will probably wonder what the heck half those things on the menu are. Might need the kids menu as a back up. Just have to order 3 or 4 helpings because it's hard to fill him up! Thanks Kath.

CARIBBEAN DINNER:

To Start with:

coconut curried Chicken Salad (diced mango, celery and star fruit)

Tropical fruit medley with anise liquer

Oyster fritters with spicy Island sauce

Jamaican red bean soup

Caribbean spiced snapper broth (julienne vegetables and shredded cilantro pancakes)

Limbo dancer salad (curly greens, pineapple chuncks, pecans and cinnamon croutons, choice of honey-yogurt, traditional or fat-free dressings)

MAIN SELECTIONS:

Caribbean shellfish cannelloni (filled with baby shrimp, mussels, spinach and mushrooms, baked with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses)

Chicken creole (mexican rice and honey baked root vegetables)

Grilled tilapia with sauce tartare (island rice and beans, grilled vegetables, fried plantains and pineapple, mango, papaya lime salsa)

West indian roast jerk pork (battered fries, fried plantains, braised leeks, carrots, peppers and sweet garlic-tamarind jerk sauce)

Island sweet potato and cassava quiche (served with island greens, carambola, watermelon chunks, papaya and tamarind sugar cane vinaigrette)

DESSERT SELECTIONS:

Coconut cream pie

Pineapple spiced cake on raspberry sauce

Warm Jamaican chocolate bread and rum pudding with vanilla bean sauce

Banana cake

Pineapple sherbet- cocomut sherbet

Chocolate frozen yogurt

FREESTYLE DINNER:

To start with:

Peppered beef slivers (granny smith apples and wasabi emulsion)

Fresh cantaloupe (orange segments)

Quice savoyarde (warm cheese, potato, and bacon tart)

Cream of cauliflower (curry mousseline)

Leek and carrot broth with saffron

Carrot and orange salad (butter lettuce with choice of traditional or fat free dressings)

MAIN SELECTIONS:

Bow tie pasta tossed (smoked salmon, leeks, and mustard cream sauce)

Tandoori chicken (basmati rice, indian fried bread, chutney, and relishes

Grilled leg of lamb (forty cloves of garlic, root vegetables, and pan jus)

Grilled mahi-mahi fillet (double baked potato, sauteed fresh vegetables, and creole sauce)

Vegetarian-roasted vegetable-feta cheese calzone (parsley, basil, and tossed garden greens)

DESSERT SELECTIONS:

Almond mocha parfait

Chocolate velvet cake (toasted hazelnut anglaise)

Vienna vanilla souffle (strawberry sauce)

Pumpkin pie

Lemon sherbet- raspberry sherbet

Banana frozen yogurt

Archived