Sorry, Yet Another Question On Tipping

MANY apologies if this has been addressed already - (I have gone through several pages of topics and have yet to see this one yet) - I am very aware of the suggested tip guide for the kind staff we see on a daily basis (waiter, steward, etc.) - But what of some of the people we don't see on a regular basis, such as the person who delivers room service or the masseuse at the spa?

I have read that some people bring a "stack of singles" or "stack of 5's" specifically for these purposes. My question is this: Is there a rule of thumb for tipping these people? I seriously do not want to inadvertantly insult someone by undertipping, but I don't want to overtip either - (that is, unless the service is exceptional). The fact is, without knowing an "average," I don't know how to calculate a proper tip? Also, how many smaller bills does a typical passenger go through on a 7-day voyage? Are there any other cruise personelle that I should not forget to tip that do not appear on the "Suggested Gratuities" list?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I take small bills with me (singles and fives) and use them. Room service for example..we use them for coffee and juice in the morning, I tip $3.00. If I ordered full breakfasts I would be tipping more. A lot of the items or services may have the 15% service charge added automatically to the bill but some won't. My girlfriend had her hair cut on Radiance last week and added $10.00 to the tab for a tip. She said there wasn't an auto service charge on her bill.

Any drink you buy will have the 15% added to the bill however there are bartenders who appreciate something extra ($5.00 and up every now again spread around does work wonders).

There really is no "average" to the amount to tip....it is entirely up to you whether to tip extra or not, the amount as well. If you give nothing, you won't be stiffed on service, you will get exactly what you are supposed to get when you are supposed to get it.

The fee you pay at Portofino's and Chops is sort of the tip; but an extra $20 or $30 would be appreciated, I'm sure. A squadron of people wait on you and they would share it.

At the spa, you would tip as you would at your home spa or beauty parlor, 10 or 20% depending on the service?

Room service is a buck or two, depending on how much food you order. I do tip bartenders and waiters $1 a round even though 15% is included.

How much you tip is a personal issue. When my family of 4 (2 teens) goes to the specialty restaurant, it is $80 - $120 extra, depending on the ship, we don't feel we should have to add additional gratuity to the tab.

We tip $2 for coffee delivery, $4 if it is a meal. We do not tip bar servers extra, except at the end of the week if they have been serving us a lot. We're not big drinkers, so that doesn't really happen much.

I have asked after a spa service where to put the tip and was told the tip was included in the cost. I'm sorry, I don't remember what ship it was. It does not hurt to ask, they are not offended if you do. If you're not comfortable asking the masseuse, ask at the desk ahead of your appointment.

We'd love to be generous and overtip all who serve us, but we do have to be realistic and the people who are in service positions onboard ships are not expecting everyone to give them extra gratuity. We have the same level of service no matter how much we tip and no matter when we give out the gratuity.

Thanks everybody! I know that a tip is of a personal nature and depends on the quality of service given, but this gives me a really good base from which to choose an appropriate tip.

MANY thanks!

-Ben

I actually use a spreadsheet to calculate how much cash to take, etc. So, I figure things like taxi rides in ports and then I assume we'll get room service twice a day (even though we often only get coffee and rolls in the morning). That means maximum for room service tips, 7 days x 2 deliveries x $5/delivery = $70. Now that will definitely be too much probably, but that's ok--happy to take home what I don't use! Then I figure taxi costs, spa service tips, etc. the same way.

Overkill? Probably, but it helps me plan.

Archived