Infinity to Hawaii 2007

shoolover

Does anyone know which side port or starboard would have the better view of the islands and which side would get more sun exposure? This is probably going to be my one and only time to do a cruise to Hawaii and want the best possiblities. Have port side booked (have always booked port side) but now am questioning the decision. Should I switch? Sail date is Apr 22, 2007. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Having just gotten off the Summit, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I think in some cases the port side might dock or anchor facing the island a little more than starboard, but that might not necessarily be the case.

If the sun shines more on one side on the way there the other will be the case on the return trip!

I would not sweat this decision, so relax.

Just sailed in January 06' 14 day aboard Summit. The starboard side afforded great views especially the following: 1) Arrival into Honolulu where a live show was put on 1st thing in the morning to welcome us to Aloha Tower. We video taped it from our balcony! 2) Arrival and sail away Kona - Land on our side. Sail away from Maui we sat for hours watching the coast ( your itn may be different but we left Maui mid-day). 3) The most important reason for starboard side was a few hours after sail-away from Hilo, it was dark, and from the comfort of our balcony, we watched the orange lava flowwing down the mountain and hitting the sea! HUGE steam cloud resulted...... AMAZING!!!

Enjoy. I'll attach a link to our cruise shots for you to enjoy as well.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=549390828

Hi Capt. Heimlich; thanks for the photos. We are considering a cruise to Hawaii. Can you tell me what the weather was like during the sea days before your arrived at the islands and also on the return? Also did you encounter rough seas ?? Thanks for your help.

Aloha Kakahiaka!

My wife and I were also on Summit in January to Hawaii with our cabin on the starboard side. Good Captain H. is absolutely correct. One of the most memorable experiences was watching the lava from our cabin as we sailed by. I am from the islands originally and have been to the volcano many times over the past 50 years. I have never seen it from the ocean! Madame Pele was speaking to the ship as we passed by, bidding us a safe journey and a pleasent stay. The sights and sounds were amazing.

Any where you stay on board, you will have a good time.

Aloha!

Thanks all for the input! Looking at our ships path through the islands, it looks like most of the islands will be on the starboard side. Of course, it depends which way they come in forward, backward, etc. like someone said earlier. They may change the directions before we sail too!! But I have changed from port to starboard and hope it works to our benefit!! Thanks again....happy sailings to all!

Past experiences except while in port may not be of value. The itinerary is being changed and the direction the ships will pass the islands may be different and in fact the itineraries are not the same for all cruise next season.

Archived