Our Trip To NY Is Next Week!!!

KathiB

:D Hi All,

I posted lots of questions a few months ago regarding lodging, sightseeing, etc. for our upcoming trip to NY (April 18-23). We'll be taking our 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend. I want to thank those of you who helped me out and let you know what we have planned so far:

We'll be staying at the Casablanca Hotel, W. 43rd near Broadway.

Wed: 2 hour Circle Line Tour, NBC Studio Tour, check out Times Sq. in the evening.

Thurs: Hubby goes to some big car show, me and the girls go shopping (Bloomies, Saks, etc.). Thurs. Eve, Dinner at Becco and Spam-a-Lot!

Friday: Statue of Liberty and Greenwich Village, Friday night: YANKEES GAME!

Sat: No plans yet...check out Central Park, go back to Greenwich Village, Little Italy, SoHo ...or just relax and wander...

Sun: Fly home to CA

A couple of years ago we did all the Museums (I could spend days there but the teens get antsy!), Empire State Bldg. and some other important sights.

Is there any really cool thing we are missing? Restaurants? Especially for the girls? Jane110, I checked out The Blue Note and BB Kings but the artists performing those nights would not appeal to the girls.

Once again, thanks for all your ideas and let me know if you have any more!

KathiB:)

:D Hi All,

I posted lots of questions a few months ago regarding lodging, sightseeing, etc. for our upcoming trip to NY (April 18-23). We'll be taking our 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend. I want to thank those of you who helped me out and let you know what we have planned so far:

We'll be staying at the Casablanca Hotel, W. 43rd near Broadway.

Wed: 2 hour Circle Line Tour, NBC Studio Tour, check out Times Sq. in the evening.

Thurs: Hubby goes to some big car show, me and the girls go shopping (Bloomies, Saks, etc.). Thurs. Eve, Dinner at Becco and Spam-a-Lot!

Friday: Statue of Liberty and Greenwich Village, Friday night: YANKEES GAME!

Sat: No plans yet...check out Central Park, go back to Greenwich Village, Little Italy, SoHo ...or just relax and wander...

Sun: Fly home to CA

A couple of years ago we did all the Museums (I could spend days there but the teens get antsy!), Empire State Bldg. and some other important sights.

Is there any really cool thing we are missing? Restaurants? Especially for the girls? Jane110, I checked out The Blue Note and BB Kings but the artists performing those nights would not appeal to the girls.

Once again, thanks for all your ideas and let me know if you have any more!

KathiB:)

Buy Time Out New York and/or New York Magazine when you get here so you may see some events that might interest you all.

Wed night dinner:

If you want to stay in the Times Square area, I'd recommend Ruby Foo's on 49th & Broadway. Multi-asian food in a fun setting. www.brguestrestaurants.com

Or head down to Little Italy for dinner (Il Fornaio on Mulberry & Grand St. is one of my favorite tomato sauce places). Wander off to a different place for dessert. Plenty of choices on that street.

Or go to the East Village for dinner. Your girls may love Via Della Pace on 48 E. 7th St. (2nd Ave) for young chic, trendy italian (cheap too).

Wander around St. Mark's Place afterwards, the girls will love it and can buy lots of cute stuff there.

For dessert, head to Veneiro's on 11th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. OPen very late. always a line, but it moves quickly.

If you like indian food, go to one of the indian places on E. 6th Street, between 2nd and 1st Ave.'s. Mitali is one of my faves. (then veneiro's for dessert).

If you're in the West Village, head to Cone's on Bleeker Street for ice cream. Also some nice little italian places on that block to have dinner.

Walk along MacDougal Street at night and have coffee/pastry in a cafe.

Thursday: Do Sak's first so you can skip lunch in the area - too few choices, too much $$$$. (besides, it's an easy walk to Sak's from your hotel and you'll pass Rock. Center) Have lunch near Bloomingdales - Alices Tea Cup (recently opened. original is on west side) or at Serendipity (good food. famous for frozen hot chocolate dessert)

The Diesel Store is across the street from Bloomingdales on Lexington Ave.

On 60th and 3rd is Dylan's Candy Store. Fun to see what you can do if your parents are billionaires. :) (Dylan is Dylan Lauren, Ralph's daughter)

Saturday: If you're out early enough, have breakfast at Bubby's on Hudson and N. Moore. (lunch is too long a wait on weekends). You'll be in Tribeca and can walk to the village afterwards. www.bubbys.com

Walk though the village and Soho. You'll prefer W. Broadway while your girls will prefer Broadway so wander between the two. Lots of cool streets in between. There's a new, small Bloomingdales on Broadway. Another fave of mine for breakfast is the Cupping Room Cafe in Soho on W. Broadway and Broome Street. www.cuppingroomcafe.com

If you're in the West Village, wander up to the Meat Packing District (along Hudson or Washington St.). Good places for lunch (Markt on 14th & 9th) or afternoon snack (Little Pie Company on 14th betw. 9th & 10th).

The "in store" Scoop is on Washington St. Great for Jeans.

In the W. Village on Hudson Street is the Cowgirl Hall of Fame for a lunch of white trash food. www.cowgirlnyc.com Very crowded with local villagers and their offspring.

In Central Park, head towards the boat house (Boat House Cafe is nice for lunch or snack) and Bethesda Fountain.

Your girls would probably love dinner at Ideya (carribbean/nuevo latino cuisine) in Soho and sometimes they have live music. www.ideya.net Or American BBQ at Blue Smoke (sometimes they have live music too). www.bluesmoke.com However, there's not much wandering before or afterwards, it's in a more residential neighborhood.

If you happen to be wandering around Union Square, there's Coffee Shop, a real hot spot for NYU students on the corner of 16th St and Union Sq. West.

I know I gave you a list of restaurants before, but don't recall what I already may have mentioned.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Jane

If you're in Chelsea, go to the Empire Diner for breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night dessert.

Your girls may recognize it from some fashion shoots.

Open 24/7 and located on 10th Ave and 22nd Street. Often, there's live piano music.

Jane 110,

You are amazing! My head is spinning!!! I will print this out and keep it with us next week. You have given me great ideas for eating and shopping. Nothing like a local for the inside scoop. I really appreciate your taking the time to list all this info. if you are ever plan to visit the Napa Valley let me know so I can return the favor.

KathiB

Kathi,

You're welcome. My pleasure.

Have a fantastic time here!

Hope to get to your end of the planet again one of thse days and will take you up on your offer! Thanks!:)

Jane

After your trip, let me know how it all went.

Archived