ncl credit card

jennylane

ok, i broke down and opened up excel and did some math. here's what it looks like to me....if i spend on average of $4000/month on the credit card, that means 48000/year and 1440 points, which would mean that assuming i'm not using the card for ncl charges and getting the higher point rate, i would exceed the annual point allotment by 40 points, which isnt too bad. it also sounds like i wont reach the monthly limit.

ok, i broke down and opened up excel and did some math. here's what it looks like to me....if i spend on average of $4000/month on the credit card, that means 48000/year and 1440 points, which would mean that assuming i'm not using the card for ncl charges and getting the higher point rate, i would exceed the annual point allotment by 40 points, which isnt too bad. it also sounds like i wont reach the monthly limit.

I'm terrible at math but if you will be earning 1440 points, that would be 440 points over the yearly limit...not 40.

I don't see how I could manage to come close to the monthly or the annual limit without filing for bankruptcy within a year or two! lol.

That's okay, by final payment I should have at least 500 points which qualifies for a $500 credit anyway.

Anyway, I assume that the reasons the upgrades benefit isn't worth it is because you can only use them in the B categories and lower? In which case a 1 category upgrade isn't usually worth the points it would cost you. For example you could potentially upgrade from BB to BA, but not from AF to AE? Nor to jump from Bx to Ax either. Is this correct?

believe me, my hubby is NOT thrilled that i spend as much as i do! luckily we pay everything off every month, otherwise the interest would kill us.

i think youre right about the upgrades, thats the impression that i had gotten too. maybe ncl is hoping you use it for upgrades because thats less expensive for them?

I definitely pay off the balance each month! I very rarely carry a balance on a credit card -- only if there has been a true unexpected emergency or if it's something I really want now and know that I will be able to pay it off within a couple months at most. And neither of these has happened for a few years.

I was hoping for a little more discussion on the limitations of using points for an upgrade, if my assumptions above were close to correct.

Hi Jennilane, I think we are going on the same cruise in June, on the Jewel, maybe? I thought I saw your ID on the roll call. I used the MBNA card to receive 3500.00 off of our Med cruise. I originally paid the 500.00 deposit last August, and over the past 3 years have earned the vouchers. It allowed me to spring for the balcony cabin. I wish I would have known about getting a second account. I really never thought of it. We were 11 points shy of receiving another 500.00 voucher, but went over the yearly limit. So, I had to cough up an additional 500.00. I made several phone calls to various Compass reward managers, asking if the vouchers could be applied toward airfare, and other charges. They all told me that it could. I paid off my balance March 25th, turned in the vouchers, and have not heard that there was any problem. We spend probably 2500 - 4000 dollars a month, so maybe that will help you decide. Keep in mind that you don't want to cash in your voucher too soon, because once you do, you have to take the trip within a year because the vouchers expire. We just let ours build up, and cashed them all in at once. We got the vouchers within about two weeks. I also think that it makes more sense to save up for vacation, then dvds, and stuff you get from Amazon. Those tend to be "easy" purchases that you might not notice from month to month. However, taking 3500.00 off of my vacation was very noticeable!

I have four NCL credit cards so that I can maximize my points. I own a business and charge a lot to credit cards each month so I can fly and cruise for free! All the basic information has already been given but I would add:

I always pay off my cards in full so I don't know what the rates are but you can often times negotiate a rate with the credit card company. If the rate is an obstacle for you, tell them and ask for x% and see what they say. Often times they'll come off their initial rate.

Since the maximum you can charge and earn points on each month is $8.250, don't charge more than that to this card, get a second card. If your credit limit is more than $8,250, ask them to give you a second card for the difference. They will not need to do a credit check, get approval, etc. they just do it and bam - more points!

Your points accrue on a non-calendar year (unless you were fortunate enough to receive your first card in January) so it is necessary to keep track of when your year begins and ends for the purposes of maxing out points but not leaving any money on the table.

MBNA's website is quite handy and you can view your point balance by pulling up your most recent statement. Points are posted as charges are made not when payments are received.

Using points:

Be sure to send your points to NCL or your TA certified or some other form of trackable mail i.e. FedEx, UPS. I had a set lost once and getting the certificates replaced is a royal pain.

Also keep a photocopy of the certificates so you will also know when the certificate expires. This sounds weird but I was booked on the Sun from N.O.. When it was moved from there to Miami we postponed the trip until such time as it returned to N.O.. With the copy of the certificates I was certain that my certificates would not expire prior to sailing.

If you choose to receive your certificates by "expedited" fashion it will cost you $35 PER CERTIFICATE. If you are in a rush for the certificate in order to make a deposit, order one expedited and the other normal delivery and save yourself a few bucks. The time I did it that way they both came in the same envelope anyhow, but I only paid for one.

If you have a TA who is not familiar with the program they may be leary but let them know that they will receive their normal commission irregardless of certificate usage.

This program is great - we've cruise free or nearly so four times and I just can't believe how superior it is to the Carnival or RCCL card. I received a Celebrity offer in yesterday's mail but it is somewhat vague about point redemption and sounds a bit like the SeaMiles program, so I've gotta check it out.

Enjoy!

MagnoliaBlossom

One more thought regarding upgrades. I hope I can say this in some way that's understandable (I just got off a cruise yesterday, so my mind is - well, you know where)

If you are only going to use certificates to upgrade it is a bad use of points. Better to save up til you have an even 500 for a certificate. However, certificates must be used in whole - meaning if your cruise is $1,200 you can use 1 or 2 certificates and pay the $700 or $200 balance or you can use 3 but you will forfeit the $300 of unused credit. So, if you have 3 certificates that you're itcing to redeem, increase your stateroom category until you use up all your credit.

jabrown, unfortunately i'm not scheduled for a june cruise (at least that i know of!!!), i'm heading out in TWO DAYS on the star to mexico. i very well could have posted on your roll call tho, i tend to lurk on a lot of them to get info.

magnolia, thanks for all of the info! we definately pay things off every month, and i doubt very much that i'll exceed the monthly limit, but i do think i'll exceed the annual one. i just appled for it last week tho, so i probably wont know anything until i get back :( i was considering calling mbna tomorrow to see if they could give me any info. think they'd be able to?

ok...i'm confused :(

remember i said i applied for the credit card last week? well strangely enough i received it today! BUT....i only got one card, and its the one i had ordered for my husband. you know how they say would you like an extra card...and i put hubbys name. so thats the one i got today but not mine?

so my question is, has anyone else ordered their cards like this and if so, did they come separately? it's like torture because we leave on the cruise tomorrow!

remember i said i applied for the credit card last week? well strangely enough i received it today! BUT....i only got one card, and its the one i had ordered for my husband. you know how they say would you like an extra card...and i put hubbys name. so thats the one i got today but not mine?

quote]

I believe the cards have to be activated from your home phone, so don't worry too much about it. Glad you will have hubby's card to start earning points on your cruise.

Bonvoyage! Have an awsome cruise...and don't forget to have a drink for me.

ok...i'm confused :(

so my question is, has anyone else ordered their cards like this and if so, did they come separately? it's like torture because we leave on the cruise tomorrow!

jenny, i'm glad you went ahead with the m/c. i was posting to you when you first started this thread. i got mine only and had requested a second for my hubby. when i called to activate it they asked me if i wanted a second card. does your hubby know you applied???? i know you were concerned about him not being to excited about it. have a wonderful vaca!!!!! can't wait to hear about it when you get back. shelly

this will be quick because i still have to do my nails and clean my jewelry and finish laundry and and and.....YIKES!!! :eek:

to answer the questions....

coincidentally 2 days ago hubby came over to MY side and said yah, it sounds like its a good idea so if thats what you want to do then thats fine. well i still didnt tell him i had applied because i certainly didnt think the card would come so FAST. so today i was out running errands. i get home and ask if there was any mail and hubby said um yah, i got a credit card for ncl... :eek: :eek: :eek: so i had to explain myself. he was fine with it. a tiny bit irked, and i wish i'd have been home when he opened the mail, oh well.

i'm really glad that it came in time for the cruise! that was an unexpected bonus. and the card has a really big limit. honestly i'm not sure that hubby was so thrilled about THAT!

i ordered two cards but on the same account, for now at least. i do plan to split them but wanted to wait and ease hubby into the plan. because for now he still wants to use the amazon account. after the cruise i think he'll change his mind! (keep in mind he's never cruised before) but his came and mine didnt. we called mbna this afternoon and they said mine is on its way and not to worry. we activated his so at least we can use it to pay the ncl charges on board this week! i was a tad unhappy that his came and mine didnt tho....

lets see, what else. YES i'll be sure to have a drink for you margaret!! and keep an eye out, i'm bringing my laptop so unless i'm really busy, i'll be posting from the cruise.

ok this wasnt quick, oh well. now i really REALLY have to go!!! thanks for all of your comments, later...!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at cards for a long time before dropping my airline card and getting the NCL card. The return is 3%, and I don't know of another card to match it. As a comparison, if you are looking at a $2000 Caribbean 7 day cruise, it can be bought by spending $66,700 on the NCL card. A similar cruise on RCCL would cost $125,000 on their VISA.

My husband and I have 3 cards. Each having our own and a joint. This has allowed us 4 free cruises (Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, and 30 days from today...Alaska). I would recommend to everyone to use this CC. We use these cards for any and everything. I would be very disappointed if NCL changed the card like the other lines where they dictate to you what your points are worth (such as so many points for an outside room etc.). I like the choice of finding the best price and applying my points!

CruisingfromMN,

The link on the NCL website worked just now when I tried it. But if it doesn't you can still get the 25 bonus points by going to mbna.com then clicking on travel cards and scrolling down to the NCL Card. It lists the 25 bonus points on the application page. Hope this helps.

This card is great! I would definately get one if not several (we have 2). We have gone on one cruise where we paid $212 for 7 days in a balcony for 2 people and will pay $400 for 7 days on the Jewel for a BA balcony in November less then a year later so we got $1500 in points in less then a year. We pay everything but the mortgage and the car payment ( I wish!) on it and pay it off every month.

Archived