Why do the airlines do this...

Just like politicians, everyone looks for the ONE reason. I think it is all the issues that have been mentioned. The old rules were one bag at 70lbs. and one bag at 50lbs. (if I remember correctly) Why have they changed it to two at 50lbs.

1) Weight = Fuel, with rising fuel cost and level fares they are trying to save on fuel cost.

2) Worker comp - Workers comp insurance, like all insurance, has skyrocketed, less injuries saves money.

3) Revenue source, they need all the money they can get.

airfares have hardly risen in the last 20 years. (Of course I have a lot of options being in a large city) Compare that to everything else and flying is a great deal. It beats the heck out of driving in time saved alone.

AMEN!

Its definately not all about unions! The company clearly has a benefit in this as well. Its called back injuries. Back injuries are very expensive and the number one claim for most companies where lifting is involved. It is safer for handlers to lift 2 fifty pound suitcases rather than one 70 or 80 pounds.

Plus this rule is another revenue source.

I don't understand how people want to pack so heavily in the first place :confused: .

Even packing for Alaska we kept our bags under the 50 lb limit and that was for heavy clothing for a week. How in the world people can pack bathing suits, shorts and flip flops and go over 50 lbs is beyond me. I read some of the packing lists on these boards and cannot understand why in the world people need to haul so much stuff along.

I pack our liquid stuff (shampoo/cond, makeup, toiletries) in our carry on, maybe that's what other people are adding to make their cases so heavy. I cut back on shoes, re-wear clothes, send things out to be cleaned. I leave home a lot of the electrical gadgets I read about here, I'm sure that stuff weighs a lot.

I go by a few simle rules. 1. I'm away from home, but I don't need to bring home with me. 2. The ships are very sophisticated and will provide almost everything I need, with the exception of my clothes for the week. 3. If I see it on a packing list and I don't know what it's for, I don't bother to take it along.

Of course, I'm also the type who, if my suitcase tore, I'd buy a new one onboard or at the airport. I take care of stuff like main/pedi/wax/clothes are in good repair, I leave all that paraphernalia at home. I pack in dry cleaner bags, no wrinkles (no steamer/downey wrinkle release), I've given up on packing the laptop/music/books and just pack extra memory, listen to their music, go to their library. I just take a magazine on the plane and leave it behind for you when I'm finished. I don't pack ballgowns or heavily beaded dresses that take up an entire suitcase. I'm thinking that you and everyone else probably will never remember what I wore 3 nights ago, so I'll wear it again.

I don't happen to care when the rule changed or why it changed, it's not worth arguing over things I cannot change. I'll just go along with what they ask and not worry over being dinged an extra $25. Packing light also has its advantages, when we breeze right by you as you're waiting for all those bags on the carousel.

Just do what I do...

Pack your suitcase with as much stuff as you want, and use a zip-tie on the zippers (since we can't lock our suitcase with a real lock, it only costs a few cents, but it lets me know if the TSA looks in it)

If you are over at the check in, and they say your bag it too heavy and you have to remove stuff, ask for a knife or a pair of scissors. At this point, the check in person usually looks at you like you are crazy and says they aren't allowed to have that stuff. Look at her dumbly and say, "Thats what I need to open the case to pull out my extra crap, if you have something like a pen I can do it but it will take a while..."

There are usually so many people there they let you off with a "warning" because they have to get people checked in...

I guess if they gave you a pen and asked you to move to the side to do it you could, but they've probably already put the sticker on your suitcase so you could just take it to the TSA person then and not worry about it...

It has worked every time for me so far, but I'm always under 60lbs and have only one bag...

Just a thought :-)

Just do what I do...

Pack your suitcase with as much stuff as you want, and use a zip-tie on the zippers (since we can't lock our suitcase with a real lock, it only costs a few cents, but it lets me know if the TSA looks in it)

If you are over at the check in, and they say your bag it too heavy and you have to remove stuff, ask for a knife or a pair of scissors. At this point, the check in person usually looks at you like you are crazy and says they aren't allowed to have that stuff. Look at her dumbly and say, "Thats what I need to open the case to pull out my extra crap, if you have something like a pen I can do it but it will take a while..."

There are usually so many people there they let you off with a "warning" because they have to get people checked in...

I guess if they gave you a pen and asked you to move to the side to do it you could, but they've probably already put the sticker on your suitcase so you could just take it to the TSA person then and not worry about it...

It has worked every time for me so far, but I'm always under 60lbs and have only one bag...

Just a thought :-)

I think you're trying to be humorous, and it's a good one. ROFLMAO !

But if you're serious, that's what some travelers HOPE would happen. Had you been checking in at my position at the ticket counter, (yes, I'd overlook a lb. or 2,) and were trying to move back home, and were trying to avoid freight charges, I'd weigh your bag, and if it was over the weight limit, I'd tell you what the excess charges are (were.) If you did not wish to pay, and volunteered to take things out, I'd welcome that. However, I'd cancel the check-in and move on to the next passenger until you're ready to start again. It's not my fault that you overpacked your luggage, and don't have the $$ to pay. Chances are, you already knew what the restrictions are, (were) and I could tell you are trying to take advantage of a situation.

This was the case many years ago, and I saw it happen many times. 'But I don't have any more money!" (Mind you, I'm talking bags that were 10-15 lbs over). Then 20 minutes later (when it was much closer to departure time,) the same passenger would pull out his wallet with a wad of 10's and 20's.

Archived