Making sure I understand: wine onboard?

GatorTide

Sorry if I'm an idiot...So you CAN bring your own wine on the ship and then pay the corkage fee if you want it in the dining room? I know it says on the Celebrity site you can't bring any alcohol aboard, which would lead me to think that you wouldn't be able to bring your own wine into the dining room to drink with your dinner. However, I have read of other posters saying they have brought wine on the ship, some who hid it in luggage and some who did not and then paid the cork fee. Just trying to figure out what we'll do. We're leaving out of Rome and it would be great to get some Italian wines to enjoy on the ship.

Does Celebrity have any wine packages where you pay a certain amount and then get a few bottles of wine you can drink with dinner? That would be another possible option for us if X does such a thing.

Thanks!

We bought wine in a few ports on our Med cruise, but just one bottle at a time and when it went through the scanner, nothing was said. The corkage fee was $15. & we added a tip for the Sommelier. We also brought a corkscrew so that we could have a glass on our balcony occasionally.

Instead of bringing the bottle to the dining room with you, it's probably better to ask your room steward to have it delivered there.

I don't recall a wine package - we just ordered by the bottle at dinner when we wanted to order Celebrity's wine. If you don't want to drink the whole bottle at one meal, they will recork it and bring it to the table the next night.

If you are leaving from Rome, I would have so much wine in that carry on that I would need a cart to pull it on! On a lark some of my girl friends and I went to a grocery type store right near the bus we were taking to the port. We got some wine we knew and then, for fun, we got some of the cheapest wine we could fine. I'm talking $3 to $4 a bottle! And it was great table wine. I'm telling you, those Italians can not make BAD wine!

Back to the subject at had. I like Shiraz and am not fond of the two X carries. I almost always take a couple of bottles of that on board. I ask the Cabin Steward to take it to the dining room. There is a $15 corkage fee, $10 for X and $5 for the Wine Steward's tip.

I never take wine that is on the wine list, just things I can't buy from X. It's not a matter of saving money, just having what I like. To take what is sold by them is, to me, tacky.

You won't have any problem putting the wine in your carry on. They will stop you with hard liquor, but not wine. I suppose because they are making a profit on the wine with the corkage.:D

We took a couple of bottles of wine on our last cruise. I had it in my carry on bag, not hidden. Nothing was said. Our room steward kept it chilled for us and provided a corkscrew for opening. Any wine we have in the dining room is always purchased there.

Agree with previous posters. We took several bottles in our carry-on with no problem and replenished in most ports in the Med. to try local wines. They were relatively inexpensive and good. For our upcoming Alaskan cruise with our family, each couple will take on two or three bottles and we will order from X if we need more as the week goes along. I don't expect to find reasonable prices in Alaska. We've done this on every cruise that we've been on without any problem despite what others have reported.

Archived