New to Cunard - few questions

Cathy_S

Hello,

My elderly (75) mother and a friend are thinking of going on the QM2 Mediterranean Explorer cruise in September. I'm hoping some people here could answer a few questions:

1. Is Cunard "elderly-friendly"? Would they feel out of place (like other 'party' cruise lines?)

2. Transportation to the ship. How does transportation in Southampton work? If Cunard offers transfer from the airport, I'm assuming this would be the easiest for 2 old ladies who get nervous travelling?

3. Any extra things I should think about when coordinating this cruise for them?

Thank you.

Hello,

My elderly (75) mother and a friend are thinking of going on the QM2 Mediterranean Explorer cruise in September. I'm hoping some people here could answer a few questions:

1. Is Cunard "elderly-friendly"? Would they feel out of place (like other 'party' cruise lines?)

Thank you.

Is the Pope Catholic? Cunard is extremely elderly friendly and they should feel very much at place - especially in the Queen's Room listing to Big Band music or a Harpist performing during Afternoon Tea.

Then there is the always the popular Scarf Tying and Napkin Folding classes as well as Hostess Chat with the Social Hostess. The elderly, and I mean those over 65 unlike us 50 ish youngsters, always get Napkin Folding down pat immediately, as well as scarf tying.

I am booked on my 6th Cunard voyage. I am approximately the same age as your mother, (not quite). I will agree with the other posters that she will love the QM2. She can do as much or as little that she wants to. How exciting to be in the Med. on the largest ocean liner ever built! How could she not like it?

Then there is the always the popular Scarf Tying and Napkin Folding classes as well as Hostess Chat with the Social Hostess. The elderly, and I mean those over 65 unlike us 50 ish youngsters, always get Napkin Folding down pat immediately, as well as scarf tying.

Jeanne - Scarf folding - WOW happy memories. I can still remember a hostess, Elaine ?? on QE2 (picture here no. 13 http://ImageEvent.com/mufi/qe2cruisetonewenglandaugust2002) but she was not aboard the last time we were on QE2. Do you know if she is still around. A very efficient lady!

David.

Jeanne - Scarf folding - WOW happy memories. I can still remember a hostess, Elaine ?? on QE2 (picture here no. 13 http://ImageEvent.com/mufi/qe2cruisetonewenglandaugust2002) but she was not aboard the last time we were on QE2. Do you know if she is still around. A very efficient lady!

David.

David:

What fantastic photos! Each one is wonderful. Great Pic of Elaine and scarf. Have never had the pleasure of meeting Elaine. Would have liked that class (am always trying to improve my tying skills).

Have had scarf tying from Melanie, Maureen and the most recent one I forgot her name - another senior moment, ever increasing since I recentely turned 50...... (she was from Princess I believe and was she into it - gave two classes!).

Melanie was sweetalked by Terrence Richards of this site into givng me a private class in her office as she was only offerring a Sarong Tying Class on that sailing 9/2002 (which almost turned into a Bachanalia).

"How can you Crew on a sailboat and not be expert at this?" she lamented as I was having a difficult moment. And "What kind of sailor are you - this a most improper knot." She made me nervous, what can I say.

Jeannie

You will have a wonderful cruise with your 75-year-old mother, and she will feel completely at home.

Next month, my wife, her sister, my mother-in-law, and I are taking a transatlantic. My mother-in-law is 85 years old, and she can't wait. This will be our second QM2 cruise with them--two years ago, the four of us took a 3-day Mothers' Day cruise.

When you book, I would arrange for a cabin near the elevators, as the ship is very long, and the corridors seem to go on forever, especially, I'd imagine, for an older person.

The easiest way to do the transfer is by private car. Woodford cars seem to be as cheap as anyone. You'll then at least be safe in the knowledge that she will be met in person, and taken to the terminal, and her luggage handed to a porter for her.

If Cunard run their own coaches then it will be virtually as easy, at least once she has got to the meeting point. I've never done that so can't comment precisely!

Thank you all for your responses. You have been VERY helpful!

Just to clarify, I won't be going on this cruise with them. Just the two old gals.

Now another dumb question.. what airport is best to fly into? How far is Southampton from London?

Cunard does have coach (bus) transfer service from both London airports (Gatwick and Heathrow). Is there a preferred one? Closer to Southampton?

Thank you all!

I would suggest a room near the elevators near the center of the ship. It is a very long hike from one end to the other. If not there, we were a little aft of the middle, and the elevators near our room were right in front of the Brittania which was very convenient at dinner time. And, if they enjoy the afternoon tea or the ballroom dancing, both in the Queen's Room, they'll be closer to it which is nice in the evening when you are tired and want to retire to your room.

Gatwick! Much nicer, airier, airport, and south of London. I dunno, Heathrow seems so dreary to me... (low ceilings, very few windows...)

Just my personal thoughts.

I agree, also that Gatwick is quite a bit nearer to Southampton.

We are on the Med Explorer in September as a surprise for my lovely husband (not much younger than your mother).

Hope to meet up with them, Mary

Agree that Gatwick is closer to Southampton in straight line distance. But as the bus will go via M25/M3 then Heathrow is about 20 mile closer.

Gatwick however is a "smaller" airport with 2 terminals and easier to get around - less confusing

You will have a wonderful cruise with your 75-year-old mother, and she will feel completely at home.

Next month, my wife, her sister, my mother-in-law, and I are taking a transatlantic. My mother-in-law is 85 years old, and she can't wait. This will be our second QM2 cruise with them--two years ago, the four of us took a 3-day Mothers' Day cruise.

When you book, I would arrange for a cabin near the elevators, as the ship is very long, and the corridors seem to go on forever, especially, I'd imagine, for an older person.

If anyone is prone to sea sickness hull cabins - mid ship, never forward, would be best.

Thank you all for your assistance. They are booked for the 9/12 Mediterranean Explorer on the QM2.

Now another question: What would be the easiest method for them to send us updates throughout their voyage? Neither can operate a PC..

Could they scribble a quick letter to us and have the ship fax it to us? Or have someone on board send us an e-mail?

What about cell service when the ship is in ports in the Mediterranean?

Thank you!

They could always ask a tablemate. I had one of my tablemates on the QE2 ask if I would send a few emails to her son - I was more than happy to help. She just accompanied me to the computer lab, she swiped her card and I did the typing and sending.

Archived