Has anyone done Alaska on Mercury??

ParrotTops

I like the Mercury and will be on her again on Monday. Alaska has a lot of things to see in the inside passage etc. For Alaska, I like a ship with lots of windows, balconies and viewing areas. The Mercury will be fine. But some newer ships have more glass, higher windows, and more balconies than the Mercury. We were in Alaska on the Radiance last August and that ship is great for viewing. We have been on 4 Alaska cruises btw. Have you considered the Infinity?

We cruised Alaska last May on the Mercury and had a great time. It was actually the best cruise ever, and we have been on 17 cruises (all in warm climate areas up until Alaska). The ship was wonderful, the scenery was spectacular, and we are hoping to cruise Alaska again in the next few years, and perhaps add on some land tours to the 7-day cruise. We loved the Mercury and will probably cruise her again or at least a Celebrity ship.

I have done Alaska six times, the last on Mercury.

While she has some strong points, I would not choose to cruise on her again.

The mattresses and case goods in our Deluxe Oceanview Cabin needing replacing desperately. And (I am a fitness buff) the gym is really dated and has little equipment (some of the machines were broken the entire week.) I missed having a nice steam and sauna area.

The crew and staff were generally good, very good in the dining room.

All is all, I think there are better choices in Alaska. That being said, her rates are quite low (and I think there is a reason for that).

JME.

We were on Mercury last August/September. It was our first cruise and I couldn't have asked for better.:D My DH and I will be on her again in June for another Alaska trip. This time we are bringing several family members including my 71 yo Mom. She can't wait. This will be her first time on a cruise and she is getting very excited.:)

We loved the trip and the ship. There are plenty of windows to view the beautiful scenery from. We were in a CC verandah cabin and although a little chilly, would do it again. The ship does show its age but I thought it added character. Planning another trip in 2008.

We did it several years ago - had a great time. One Suggestion - in Ketchikan, ignore the Ship Excursion on the Whitehorse Railway unless you love large groups. Go into town and find Sgt.Preston's Trading Post and book a private tour. Its usually by 8 pax van and you see everything as on the train plus more. Have a great trip!

We did Alaska on the Mercury several years ago..and all in all it was a good trip...we were a little disappointed in the much touted Inuit presentation the day we cruised Hubbard Glacier..we could not hear her..(and tuned in from the tv in our room as we had a balcony suite).. Lousy sound system I guess...

As always the staff and service were exceptional but if we were to do it again I would choose a newer ship and combine a land tour. We've always heard Princess does the best with Alaska sailings..Good luck!

Archived