Baltic Money?

WilCruise

Those that have been on the Baltic Cruises. What kind of money would you take with you (like EUROs)if you had it to do over again? We sail on the (new) Star in June. From being on other over-the-pond cruises, I know it was nice to have some local money at times. Also, the purser line can be pretty long with people trying to exchange money. What countries should we be ready for? Thank you, thank you!:rolleyes:

None of the countries the Star visits on her Baltic itinerary use Euros. Each have their own currency. The purser's office no longer handles currency exchange, they now have ATM like machines onboard to get local currency. I remember at least two of them last summer on the Star. I'm also not sure if you can use an ATM/credit card in the machine or not as we just exchanged small amounts of cash for walking around/tip money and used credit cards for any major shoreside purchases.

I did this cruise in 1999. Most countries accept American $$ easily, although they may give you back local currency in change. The easiest thing is to use traveler's checks if you are going to buy anything pricey. Those are accepted everywhere, as is MC and Visa. As far as Russia, before I went, I read a lot on this board about how they only accept new bills or bills folded in a certain way, etc., etc. Not so! Trust me, they take anything that even resembles money :). You will be dealing mostly with street vendors, so take a lot of $1 bills. The best thing to buy there are the Mariuska dolls (stacking dolls) which are much cheaper than those on the ship, and those tole painted pins, which will sell for anywhere from $1-4 . I bought a lot of them for souveniers and take-home gifts. Wish I had bought dozens!!! Everybody loved them. If your tour goes to Tallin, buy your sweaters there. Much cheaper than the Scandinavian countries. I think I paid around $40 for a sweater almost identical to one I saw in Norway for $350. You will love this cruise!

Upon arrival at the Copenhagen airport there are plenty of ATM's for you to get enough local currency for walking around. In Helsinki and Gdansk, Euros were welcome as well as USD in the shops. However, if you use any of the "public" restrooms, euros are needed. St. Petersburg, vendors accepted USD, Euro's and Rubles. Most places in St. Petersburg do not accept Amex but do take Visa and MC. In Oslo, I only used my Visa, we were on a ship's tour, didn't really need any cash, there is a large shopping area right next to the ship, all major credit cards are accepted there as well. Make sure you call your credit card companies and bank if using a check card and advise them that you'll be using your card on other countries.

I've done 71 cruises....a good many in Europe, the Star in the Baltic last summer, my 2nd Baltic cruise.

I've had to get money in Portugal only because the cab driver did not speak english at all.

I used American money last summer totally, they took it everywhere I went.

• 1 month later...

if you plan to take any public transportation, you need the local currency. we bought zlotnys from our cab driver from the ship to the train station in Poland so we could purchase a train ticket to Gdansk without waiting in ATM line. you only need 10 for 2 people for the train. we got more later for the return trip.

we also needed local money in Helsinki for the tram and bus but that was euros so we got them on the ship.

in Tallinn we needed local money because we took the tram to Peter the Great's summer palace on the outskirts of town.

Most toilets required local money to get in. even in restaurants when we ate there! we had to pay in Gdansk and somewhere else I can't remember. That was annoying. we propped the door open so everone could get in without paying it was so annoying.

surprisingly tho, most everywhere took american dollars. we had $100 iin one dollar bills and $100 in five dollar bills for flea markets etc

Archived