any ideas for escursion with a 9 months old

magdanie

I am taking a cruse on 11/04/06 and we are stoping at San Juan, St Thomas and St Marteen any ideas of what type of escursion can I take with a baby.

I love sailing/snorkling excursions with babies and toddlers.

We did this one with a 1-1/2-yr-old in St. Thomas. A bit pricy but had a GREAT time...

http://www.sailwinifred.com/

Shellie

Go to the ports of call board for that area and post your question - that's what I did to find out where to go with my babies in Mexico and I got some great suggestions and very specific information (I found that just taking them to a resort with a kids splash pool was a nice, relaxing way to spend our port days). Just remember how dangerous the sun is - make sure you take every precaution to keep baby out of the sun and protected.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

My initial reaction was to suggest beaches, which would work (except for the putting-the-sand-in-the-mouth thing...) LOL

But, I will tell you this: assuming your 9 month old isn't walking, or seriously "cruising", you will have more flexability now than you will for a year or two. IMHO, the toughest travel time is when they are mobile, or so close to it they have no tolerance for being cooped up, but they are too young to truly listen and comprehend rules. It's a period of time (albeit brief, thank heavens) when they have the physical ability to get themselves into some seriously scary situations, but they don't have the cognitive ability to recognize danger (even when you've just warned them a minute before!)

So, I would plan around his/her schedule (keeping little ones fed on, more or less, their normal schedule and well rested made all the difference - seriously - for us...), and then do what interests you, within reason. Since zip-lines and white water rafting don't figure large in these ports (as far as I know!), you should be able to find things that intrigue you, and don't pose a mortal risk to DS or DD!

For example: San Juan. I would suggest a morning trip to the fort. The grounds are beautiful, and generally many kites are flying. You could let the baby crawl around on a blanket (consider a flat sheet - lots of cruising room, but takes up very little space) and watch the beautiful kites. If you've any interest in touring the fort, you could either take turns or take him/her with you, and one of you could explore while the other watches the movie (in a/c comfort!), then switch off. I don't recommend touring the fort with a little one: to say it is not child-proof is a massive understatement, IMO (DD was 2.5 and it gave me fits). Then lunch. How about the Bacardi tour in the afternoon? Or any other air conditioned museum/store/etc. The baby will (hopefully) be sleeping for a significant portion of whatever you choose to do in the afternoon, and you increase the odds of this happening if there is a/c (at least that would have been true with my kids!)

I echo the suggestion of the previous poster to enquire on the ports of call boards. I've had immense luck there getting feedback for what is appropraite for children. Good luck!

I'm not sure if I've been of any help, but I do hope whatever you decide to do, you have a glorious cruise with your little one!

Archived