QM2 Bridgecam Live!

guernseyguy

How would your brother in law in Long Island know.

I work in Red Hook, dangerous part of town, I don t think so. I have worked in a school there for 11 years and wander around all the time, have yet to be mugged, have never had my car broken in to.

I did have my car stolen from Disney World a few years back.

Where is there not crime.

How could you pass something along when you know nothing about the area.

All I know is he said the project was dangerous but once you got away from there Italian restaurants were good. I have no clue so he must obviously be mistaken.

This is my first post, although I confess to having lurked behind the scenes for quite a while now, using different logins thru the ages. I too live vicariously, and, as such, have greatly enjoyed these boards, and look forward to the day when I can sail away on a westbound TA.

My question, as I too was late getting home today in order to see for myself - is it possible to see the Redhook docks from the Empire State building cam? I can zoom in enough to see the outline of the Verrazanno bridge, and assume the docks would be in the left foreground, behind and to the left of the Battery.

Thanks & Regards -

David

in high and dry Denver (where the city and the county are the same), and who used to live in both Fairfield and DeKalb counties...

David:

Yes, the South-facing webcam on the Empire State Building can zoom in on the Brooklyn terminal. Try selecting the "Brooklyn Bridge" view at about 6.5 zoom, then pan right. The terminal pier is above and to the right of the masts of the square-rigged barque moored at Manhattan's South Street Seaport, which is just to the right of the Brooklyn Bridge in this camera's view. When QM2 was in port today, there was a clear view of her from her stern (facing left, up the East River) to a point somewhat ahead of her funnel. Forward of the funnel, the ship was hidden behind one of the tall buildings in the financial district. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

David:

Yes, the South-facing webcam on the Empire State Building can zoom in on the Brooklyn terminal. Try selecting the "Brooklyn Bridge" view at about 6.5 zoom, then pan right. The terminal pier is above and to the right of the masts of the square-rigged barque moored at Manhattan's South Street Seaport, which is just to the right of the Brooklyn Bridge in this camera's view. When QM2 was in port today, there was a clear view of her from her stern (facing left, up the East River) to a point somewhat ahead of her funnel. Forward of the funnel, the ship was hidden behind one of the tall buildings in the financial district. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Oooh! ooh! Then I can look tomorrow! :(

Oh, that won't work will i?:confused:

Well, It's dark right now, so I can't say, but I am betting one of these cams will work. The site is call Hudson River Park Cams and includes references to a pier 40, 45, 46, and 51. In additions to the ever-so-beautiful "Path Tunnel Vent Shaft!" (Well, okay, maybe that one is there for maintenance reasons, and they just decided to include it for whimsy! Oh, those whimsical New Yorkers!)

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/hudson/

Karie,

Who is feeling a bit whimsical herself right now! <G>

Karie,

Great web site - but I can't believe you missed the sail away. Maybe you would have seen me near the sea wall along the Narrows as the QM2 sailed. :eek:

It was really nice with the water boats spewing. Of course it was a little weird with one small water boat in front and to the right of the QM2 and then a larger one way behind spraying colored water.

Took some photos, but without Marc's help have no idea how to post them.

Still makes me nostalgic for our time aboard. Can't wait till Sept.

Maria

Yes, thanks for the Hudson River Park webcam site. But check my earlier post for hints on pointing the Empire State Building camera toward the Red Hook terminal. In case anyone has never visited the ESB, try: http://live7.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=0&name=/strends/esb/NorthView&pan=-66.10742&tilt=-8.052587&panfov=10.03244&tiltfov=7.819718&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=false&time=1120329770195&width=640&height=480&quality=65

(Wow, that's a long one)

Anyone have a web cam closer to the Red Hook docks?

Cheers,

JWB.ESQ

• 4 weeks later...
How would your brother in law in Long Island know.

I work in Red Hook, dangerous part of town, I don t think so. I have worked in a school there for 11 years and wander around all the time, have yet to be mugged, have never had my car broken in to.

How could you pass something along when you know nothing about the area.

My brother in law forwarded this to me from a local paper. I thought it might be of interest to you.

More than 200 drug dealers arrested in Red Hook housing project, police say

--------------------

BY LUIS PEREZ

Newsday Staff Writer

May 11, 2006

A massive cooperative of more than 200 violent crack cocaine and heroin dealers in Brooklyn's Red Hook Houses that reaped $12 million a year has been shut down after an 18-month sting, officials said Wednesday.

Dubbed "Operation Off The Hook," the investigation unveiled a collaborative of 19 separate drug gangs that each took over a portion of the housing project's 33 buildings, police said. The dealers lived in and around the project and openly sold drugs there at all hours of the day, officials said.

"Their motto was 'No beef, no police,'" Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said at a news conference Wednesday.

But the drug activity, which saw eight drug-related shootings and two fatal stabbings last year, was also the ire of residents, who made 163 complaints to police over the past two years, Kelly said.

Police made 153 arrests of suspected dealers, and are looking for 52 other suspected dealers, Kelly said. Police also confiscated 11 guns and other weapons, a half-pound of cocaine and $30,000 cash.

Kelly said that some in the housing project may have been wrongfully detained during last week's sweeps, but he defended the operation, saying that the number of erroneous arrests was minimal and was outweighed by the community's complaints.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said his office expects more than 100 convictions. Indictments are expected to be handed down next week.

The project is among several wide-ranging crackdowns on narcotics operations in city public housing projects in recent years. Not far from the Red Hook Houses, police also infiltrated a drug gang in Brooklyn's Gowanus Houses several years ago.

"The initiative in the housing projects will continue," said Hynes, "until residents in housing developments feel secure and are secure in their homes across the county."

--------------------

This article originally appeared at:

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-drug0511,0,4973620.story?coll=am-local-headlines

Visit AM New York online at http://www.amny.com

:eek:

My brother in law forwarded this to me from a local paper. I thought it might be of interest to you.

--------------------

BY LUIS PEREZ

Newsday Staff Writer

May 11, 2006

A massive cooperative of more than 200 violent crack cocaine and heroin dealers in Brooklyn's Red Hook Houses that reaped $12 million a year has been shut down after an 18-month sting, officials said Wednesday

Darn.

There goes my plans for paying for the cruise. I guesss I'll have to go to my drop-back plan- You know, that other "victimless crime" that everyone said Red Hook was full of due to the laborers and Stevedores!

Oh, don't get your britches in a knot, folks. I'm just kidding. I realize that drug abuse is a serious problem. BTW, The projects are really nowhere near the cruise terminal. I think.

Karie,

Who still has her sense of humor!

--------------------

BY LUIS PEREZ

Newsday Staff Writer

May 11, 2006

A massive cooperative of more than 200 violent crack cocaine and heroin dealers in Brooklyn's Red Hook Houses that reaped $12 million a year has been shut down after an 18-month sting, officials said Wednesday.

Dubbed "Operation Off The Hook," the investigation unveiled a collaborative of 19 separate drug gangs that each took over a portion of the housing project's 33 buildings, police said. The dealers lived in and around the project and openly sold drugs there at all hours of the day, officials said.

"Their motto was 'No beef, no police,'" Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said at a news conference Wednesday.

But the drug activity, which saw eight drug-related shootings and two fatal stabbings last year, was also the ire of residents, who made 163 complaints to police over the past two years, Kelly said.

Police made 153 arrests of suspected dealers, and are looking for 52 other suspected dealers, Kelly said. Police also confiscated 11 guns and other weapons, a half-pound of cocaine and $30,000 cash.

Kelly said that some in the housing project may have been wrongfully detained during last week's sweeps, but he defended the operation, saying that the number of erroneous arrests was minimal and was outweighed by the community's complaints.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said his office expects more than 100 convictions. Indictments are expected to be handed down next week.

The project is among several wide-ranging crackdowns on narcotics operations in city public housing projects in recent years. Not far from the Red Hook Houses, police also infiltrated a drug gang in Brooklyn's Gowanus Houses several years ago.

"The initiative in the housing projects will continue," said Hynes, "until residents in housing developments feel secure and are secure in their homes across the county."

--------------------

This article originally appeared at:

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-drug0511,0,4973620.story?coll=am-local-headlines

Visit AM New York online at http://www.amny.com

I guess the City is cleaning up the area...the Gang the Westies used to control the area by the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Archived