I need some help with NY/Bayonne transportation

ACCagent

I am making plans to come into NY for a short sail on Freeedom and could use a little help from the local experts. We are flying in to EWR and taking Super Shuttle to our hotel in the Times Square area. From the hotel I think we want to take the PATH and transfer to Hudson Light Rail to Bayonne and then a short taxi ride to the ship. Is it closer to make the transfer in Jersey City (what station?) or Hoboken?

If I'm doing any of this completely wrong, please enlighten me!

I am making plans to come into NY for a short sail on Freeedom and could use a little help from the local experts. We are flying in to EWR and taking Super Shuttle to our hotel in the Times Square area. From the hotel I think we want to take the PATH and transfer to Hudson Light Rail to Bayonne and then a short taxi ride to the ship. Is it closer to make the transfer in Jersey City (what station?) or Hoboken?

If I'm doing any of this completely wrong, please enlighten me!

How many days are you staying in NYC? If just a couple, it may be a whole lot easier to stay on the Jersey side and take the PATH train into the city for sightseeing. Dragging luggage on the PATH is NOT really something you want to do. Now if you don't have much luggage, may work. But if you have more than 2 carryon size suitcases, you will have your work cut out for you. Just food for thought.

The PATH doesn't run from Times Square, so you'll have to get a taxi or take NY subway down to 33rd St. (Penn Station), take the PATH from there to Hoboken, then the Light Rail to Bayonne. At this point I believe RCCL offers a free shuttle service to the cruise ship, if not you would have to take a taxi in.

If you stay in NJ there are hotels on the Jersey City Waterfront that have easy access to PATH and the Light Rail. I know the Hyatt doesn't have a shuttle service to the pier, put does have information on car services.

Good Luck, and happy sailing.

NJcmom

Thanks for the help. I know we'll need to get to the PATH via subway or walk but I seem to have left that part out. I gather that Hoboken would be a better change point than Jersey City. I've seem directions using both so just wasn't sure. That was my main question.

We'll only have one carry on each so shouldn't have too much trouble with the luggage. I wouldn't try it with full size luggage. This is just for 2 nights on Freedom. We were originally going to stay in Jersey but changed our minds since we would be going into NY 2 different times since the ship leaves quite late.

Thanks again!

Checked with my sons who take PATH and NJtransit trains everyday and occasionally the Light Rail. They said it is easier to switch from PATH to Light Rail in JC at Exchange place than in Hoboken. Only problem is the PATH from 33rd St. doesn't stop at Exchange Place. You would have to take the PATH from WTC (downtown NY). Here are the links for both NJtransit (which includes Light Rail) and PATH. It has all the schedules, route maps and timetables.

http://www.panynj.gov/

http://www.njtransit.com

NJcmom

Archived