What will the average temp be "inside" Mercury when cruising Alaska?

luvthis

Okay...we're going to Alaska. Question is...what is the average temperature on-board and in the restaurants, lounges & shows? Also, will the pool deck be open the whole trip or do they close it due to Alaska's unpredictable weather.

I'm starting to think about what to pack. My formal dresses are short sleeve so I'm thinking I need a dress sweater or shawl. Also, do I need heavier sweater-type tops or is the ship warm enough that lighter tops will be fine while inside the ship?

So much to bring...what do I do about airline luggage limits?!? Oh my...

--Jean & Bob (Sailing May 8) from Racine, WI

Thanks, Rick. I've never taken a cruise where they must use fuel to heat the ship. It's always been air conditioned. As long as it is a comfortable temp, I'll be happy. I know sun tanning is not going to happen in Alaska. Does anyone know if it's sheltered enough to sit up by the resort deck pool, or is that part of the ship just empty on Alaskan cruises?

--Jean

On a Mercury cruise to the Mexican Riviera (3-04?), we found the dining room and main show lounge just a bit chilly in the evening.

My wife often wore a shawl type thingie, and I wore my trusty cardigan sweater.

We might be a little cold-blooded, as we think most ships' dining rooms and show-lounges just a tad cool.

luvthis

My DH and I sailed to Alaska on Mercury last August/September. The temp inside the ship was very comfortable. I turned the temp down in our cabin at night because I like it to be cool when I sleep. Of course I am at the age where cool is good (my poor hubby).:D I usually carried a jacket with me but I don't remember ever using it on the ship. In fact the only time I needed one at all was in Skagway. It was misty and chilly the day we were there. I remember seeing people in the hottubs at the pool but I don't remember if they were in the pool. I spent more time at the covered pool.:rolleyes: We will be on Mercury again in June. Going to Alaska again this time with family members. Hope I helped.

Ahh....hot tubs steaming as the ship cruises thru Alaska. If I can get beyond thinking about the goosebumps I'll feel getting out of the jacuzzi, that sounds great. I realize there won't probably be much swimming going on in the outside pool, but we start in Ensenada and then to San Francisco before heading up into Alaska. There might be some time to take a dip in the outside pool. Is the pool with the retractable roof and the surrounding deck area large enough to handle lots of passengers or does that get very crowded with no place to sit?

I also am to "that age" where I sleep better in a cool bedroom. Lucky for me, Bob likes it cool, as well. No fun getting older, that's for sure! Ha!

I'll bring a wrap to put over my shoulders on formal nights and a sweater for bingo time and show time. I'm planning on cool outside temps throughout, but am hoping it may warm up a bit and surprise me. I'm really NOT a cold weather vacationer, but I really AM looking forward to experiencing Alaska with my own eyes.

Thanks for the info!

--Jean & Bob, Racine, WI

We found the interior of the ship as well as our stateroom comfortable throughout the trip. We did not spend a lot of time poolside. The area accomodates a lot of people but it was always crowded and very noisy. It wasn't a good place to relax and read a book.

The Skybar was our favorite place to hang out. Lots less noise and windows all the way around so we didn't miss the scenery.

We can hardly wait for our Alaskan adventure to begin. We may be old, but trips like this bring out the kid in us.

--Jean & Bob

Based on your other thread, I've deduced that you're not much older than we are! We loved our Alaska cruise even though it was cold so much that we're planning another for 2008. We cruised alone (not with friends as most of our other cruises) and rekindled the romance in our marriage.

Believe me when I tell you that I was awestruck by the scenery! We're simple people and the small things in life give us pleasure. We had no complaints about the staff or the ship but have memories that we'll cherish for a long time.

Bob & I are from Wisconsin or as the Green Bay Packers say "The Frozen Tundra". We have put off a trip to Alaska because of the cold. This spring I woke up one day and said, "Hey...I don't need to get a tan to show my friends. Hey...so what if I don't see a palm tree. Hey...summer will hit Racine by July. Hey...let's experience Alaska now, before anymore global warming melts the glaciers and before any more oil spills contaminate the wildlife and the waters". So, we're ready to see all there is to see.

Glad to hear you loved your cruise to Alaska. We're gonna build some memories, too!

--Jean & Bob

It is plenty comfortable inside the ship when you're in Alaska - but watch out walking past the doors to the promenade deck! If somebody opens the door you can get a quick blast of chilly air. Other than that it's just fine. :)

I just had a quick vision of the poor older gentleman walking past the doors on the promenade deck in his dark suit & tie with his glamorous wife by his side. Woooff!! In comes the cold air when the door opens and off goes the hair piece! Ha! No problem for us...Bob's bald and I'm no glamorous wife by his side. We should be fine. Thanks for the giggle and the head's up, though.

--Jean

Luvthis,

I did forget to mention that on Hubbard Glacier day you will need something very warm if you go outside to view as the ship is getting to the glacier. Also you will need something to cover your face. It is very very cold and windy but boy is it worth it. We have a balcony this time and I will probably bundle my mom up and let her watch from there. Too bad we aren't on the same cruise. You sound like someone I would love to meet.:D My DH and I are 51 and 50. We can hardly wait to be back on the ship.:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting us know about the Glacier Bay day. Dah...you'd think common sense would have told me it would be extra chilly. Giant ice cubes, ya know? Anyway, I will make sure we have warm stuff to cover our heads and a scarf for our faces.

It's getting pretty exciting! I may not like the cold, but I'm actually getting into this visual adventure.

--Jean & Bob

We were on the Mercury last July. You will definetly want something warm for your hands and face at Glacier Bay. We wanted to stay out on deck to hear the ice breaking. Also when we were viewing the whales. And boy did it rain in Skagway, that cheap rain poncho was a god send. Have a great time.:D

Archived