Return to Mercury...September 8, 2006

bububr

Okay, I'm booked and need some info on a couple of excursions in Alaska.

Before I go go any further I have to say my first trip on this ship 9/05 was just wonderful with only one minor problem that was resolved. The second time .....well....March 17th...the bleach ship.

For those who were wondering, my MRIs came back from getting thrown by the horse in Mazatlan. I'll live, but I have a bulging disk L2, a compression fracture in one back bone L1, cracked the left side of my secrum, and fractured both my inferior and superior pubic bones on the left side. I've been instructed to not to move around, but those of you who saw me on the ship know I hobbled around and did what I could to still enjoy the rest of the cruise.

ANYWAY....I go to Alaska in a couple of months and need some opinions. I'm not posting this on the ALASKA board only because I want some different inputs.

What I have decided is:

Skagway- White Pass Railway

Juneau- Mendenhall glacier Canoe and salmon bake

Ketchikan- Mount Point snorkeling

Looking for a mixture of experiences and opinions.

THANKS!!!

Dave:eek:

Okay, I'm booked and need some info on a couple of excursions in Alaska.

Before I go go any further I have to say my first trip on this ship 9/05 was just wonderful with only one minor problem that was resolved. The second time .....well....March 17th...the bleach ship.

For those who were wondering, my MRIs came back from getting thrown by the horse in Mazatlan. I'll live, but I have a bulging disk L2, a compression fracture in one back bone L1, cracked the left side of my secrum, and fractured both my inferior and superior pubic bones on the left side. I've been instructed to not to move around, but those of you who saw me on the ship know I hobbled around and did what I could to still enjoy the rest of the cruise.

ANYWAY....I go to Alaska in a couple of months and need some opinions. I'm not posting this on the ALASKA board only because I want some different inputs.

What I have decided is:

Skagway- White Pass Railway

Juneau- Mendenhall glacier Canoe and salmon bake

Ketchikan- Mount Point snorkeling

Looking for a mixture of experiences and opinions.

THANKS!!!

Dave............glad you got yourself checked out. Your "MasterCard" moment may cost your MasterCard some money. Your health comes first, and hopefully you will be ready for Alaska. Good choice for Skagway, and Juneau, but I'm not sure why you would want to go snorkeling in Ketchikan. One thing to think about regarding your spill, is that arthritis may set in, and the cold could aggrevate it. Take care of yourself, Dave.

Rick

Dave,

I agree re: snorkeling. I don't think that you should push your fractures so soon after the accident. Note: not being maternal but am being a nurse. Ketchican is a cute town with enough stuff to do just wandering around AND it's the most likely place for rain for at least part of the day (can't remember the number of annual days of rain but it's about 300, I think). Take it easy - glad you're up and about....

Dave, I am so sorry to hear about all the damage that has been done from that fall. :(

I had a problem with a disk in my lumbar/sacral area, and it ended up rupturing because I continued to do the things I should not have been doing in that condition, such as lifting my mother's wheelchair while she was in it. Having a ruptured disk was one of the most painful things I've ever had to deal with. The pain in my leg was severe.

Please be careful. Take care of yourself. You want this all to heal well. I hope that you heal quickly and completely.

Hello! We just booked that same cruise--what do you anticipate the weather to be? Too cold to sit on the balcony?

From 8/26/05-09/01/05 trip: Coldest weather we experienced was by the Hubberd Glacier. The Skagway rail trip was also cold as the train rides climbs in elevation.

We sat on and enjoyed the balcony daily though (usually wrapped in blankets.) The Inside Passage is especially nice from the balcony.

Dave, I can't believe you were injured that badly and still forgave Napolean! You're amazing and I can't wait to meet you in September. :D

Now then, I think both the snorkeling and the canoeing might be too physically challenging for you but that's certainly your call to make. I'll bet George agrees with me though. ;)

In Juneau we'll be visiting the Harley shop first and foremost and certainly visiting Mendenhall Glacier. Maybe whale watching, maybe rent a car.

We'll probably do the train up/bus back thing to cram in more sights in Skagway.

If we do Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan it will only be DH and I as BIL is too chicken. But this certainly seems to me like it would be a real highlight of the whole trip so I'm looking into it.

I can't believe how huge your party is. You're going to have a blast no matter what. I got your email addy and will keep in touch. Now be a good boy and take of yourself.

Parrot Tops- It's NEVER too cold to be on the balcony. :cool: But seriously, I don't think it will be that cold in early September except when we're near Hubbard Glacier. You should sign in on our Roll Call.

Ali

Rick, Spengle, Mlt...Thanks for the concern:) Regarding the snorkeling....how 'bout we comprimise? I'll go ONLY if the doctor says its okay and I feel 100% up to it. Its not like I'd be looking to ride an orca bareback...although I might be tempted to see what happens if I stick out my tongue on an Iceberg or something:D .

Choirmom. Thanks for the suggestions! I am looking forward to the train ride....Whalewatching....hmmmm I might do that if the snorkeling thing fizzles out. I'm sure they must have some kind of trip in Ketchikan.

Rachelsmemom- I agree! We had a CC cabin on the Sky deck last September on Mercury to Victoria and Nanaimo. THe weather was great. It did get chilly at night on our veranda, but it was nice to sit out and have coffee in the mornings and watch the scenery go by.

Parrot Tops- Nice to meet ya. This should be a really fun cruise.

Ali- I'm getting really excited about this, ( as Ii do every cruise). Yep...your right about 'George'...whatta you, some kinda psychic? I'll only do the snorkeling if my doc lets me...I think thats a fair enough answer for both of you:p .

As for Napolean....We have three bassett hounds ( Macarthur, Linbergh, and Flash. We just lost our Amelia last April), 2 cats ( Livingston and Willa), a parrot named BUD, a fish tank and a cage full of finches. How can I not forgive the horse that threw me? My daily life revolves around a bunch of 'monsters' that are consistantly getting in trouble and reaking havoc. Most if it is done out of love, i.e wagging a tail and accidentally hitting a home run with an object on the coffee table, or running to greet and jump up on us with wet or muddy paws....Having BUD scream "WANT SOME?" every time we open the fridge. Finding Livingston sleeping in the bathroom sink every morning...you get the picture.

Animals only want us to love, feed and protect them. They rarely do anything spiteful. Who knows what kind of rider was on good ole Napolean before Me? Maybe he had an injury that suddenly hurt him? Maybe he just wanted to get back home, and stepped on the gas pedal. I can't be mad at an animal...It wouldn't be fair.

As for my injuries...I KNOW!!! Who would have thought that I broke all that stuff...and still tried to get around on the ship and have a good time. I though I just had a REALLY BAD pulled groin muscle and a few bruises.

I am resting up...relaxing, eating healthy and drinking a lot of water...I should be okay for Alaska. Can't wait to meet ya in person! I registered some of our party for the party...can't seem to get the rest in...maybe they have to be paid in full before they can register?

Anyway.....I'm babbling....( Its the Meds....)

Archived